How do you inventory your collection?
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 12:18 pm 

I would really like to put it all into a spreadsheet but for the most part my collection listing is by what i don't have.  I maintain a list of the items I need and then cross them off.  It is a small font and 3 columns per side so it fits on one sheet of paper :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:24 pm 

My personal collection is quite small - only a few hundred items and I don't even botter keeping inventory of them.

However, I have sold about 4,500+ items over the last 3 years.  I have tracked every single item I sold in excel.  I have 4 different Workbooks, each with about 5 worksheets.  All items are tracked to the lot I purchased them in and the lot cost.  These are listed individually with the sale price and shipping charge.  The spreadsheet then calculates that Net price after deducting all applicable ebay, paypal and shipping costs.  All items sold are then added and count against the purchase price of the lot, ultimately ending in a "Net Profit" (or loss).

I am at about #360 (which indicates the 360th lot I purchased from ebay or other sources.

I also have 8,000 scans/digital pics (1.6 GB) - I used to delete them or I'd have quite a bit more.  Each scan is kept in a folder for the particular RPG and/or publisher and listed by the game, name and lot #.  

i.e. ADDtombofhorrorslot291.jpg , warhammerapocryphanowlot221.jpg , changelingkithbooksatyrslot98.jpg ,etc.  Unless I took a digital picture of a box set and contents, these usually all have a corresponding scan of the back cover (listed with "back").

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:42 pm 

My responses to Beyondthebreach's post:    FREAK : :wink:

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:05 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:My personal collection is quite small - only a few hundred items and I don't even botter keeping inventory of them.

However, I have sold about 4,500+ items over the last 3 years.  I have tracked every single item I sold in excel.  I have 4 different Workbooks, each with about 5 worksheets.  All items are tracked to the lot I purchased them in and the lot cost.  These are listed individually with the sale price and shipping charge.  The spreadsheet then calculates that Net price after deducting all applicable ebay, paypal and shipping costs.  All items sold are then added and count against the purchase price of the lot, ultimately ending in a "Net Profit" (or loss).

I am at about #360 (which indicates the 360th lot I purchased from ebay or other sources.

I also have 8,000 scans/digital pics (1.6 GB) - I used to delete them or I'd have quite a bit more.  Each scan is kept in a folder for the particular RPG and/or publisher and listed by the game, name and lot #.  

i.e. ADDtombofhorrorslot291.jpg , warhammerapocryphanowlot221.jpg , changelingkithbooksatyrslot98.jpg ,etc.  Unless I took a digital picture of a box set and contents, these usually all have a corresponding scan of the back cover (listed with "back").

So is it working?  Are you making a profit?  I do a similair thing, I buy lots and keep what I need and sell of the rest, the majority of my collection was built this way.  Cuts down dramitically on the cost per item.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:38 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
So is it working?  Are you making a profit?  I do a similair thing, I buy lots and keep what I need and sell of the rest, the majority of my collection was built this way.  Cuts down dramitically on the cost per item.

J

Yes, I do pretty well.  I set the bar fairly high and expect to make 100% (or more) profit on lots I purchase.  Lately, however, AD&D/D&D has proven to be the least profitable and I find that I often have to settle for 50% - 75%.  Long ago, I branched out into all RPG's and have a reasonable to excellent market knowledge of almost all game systems many of which turn out to be extremely nice deals.

I also completely avoid getting involved in "Rares" unless they happen to fall into my lap (I have yet to sell even an OCE or R series module).

And (not to pat myself on the back) I am always completely honest when selling and never misrepresent condition or completeness (at least not intentionally).  This forces me to "bite the bullet" sometimes when lots I buy are not up to expectation . . .  :evil:   However, inevitably, I get something that turns out much better than anticipated so everything tends to even out.

I wonder sometimes at the profit margins of certain resellers.  I don't like to mention names, but you know that guy who is always bidding and then bidding again, and again, and again, and again. 8)   Really, don't you know what you are willing to bid?  Are you going to let a newbie dictate your supposed market knowledge?  I always find good deals with patience and thus, I don't need to settle for a paltry 5-15% profit margin.

Quality . . . not quantity as they say . . .  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:20 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:I don't like to mention names, but you know that guy who is always bidding and then bidding again, and again, and again, and again. 8)

I have no problem mentioning names, and I've got a guess: it's what's-his-face ... Panther, Ocelot, Leopard, Jaguar, Cheetah ... it's something like that.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:47 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Beyondthebreach wrote:I don't like to mention names, but you know that guy who is always bidding and then bidding again, and again, and again, and again. 8)

I have no problem mentioning names, and I've got a guess: it's what's-his-face ... Panther, Ocelot, Leopard, Jaguar, Cheetah ... it's something like that.

Doesn't matter what he pays though!  The item normally gets lost in M-bag heaven   :?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:33 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:I have no problem mentioning names, and I've got a guess: it's what's-his-face ... Panther, Ocelot, Leopard, Jaguar, Cheetah ... it's something like that.

(this one?)

(Sorry, no D&D tablecover ;))

=
Excel was adequate here - to explain to myself why my credit card hurt so badly, anyhow. :roll:

Might get around to cataloging the "original" collection at some point. (And acquiring a digital camera some day...).

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:00 pm 

faro wrote:(this one?)

Yes, that's the guy; I'd recognize that face anywhere. For the life of me, I can't remember the name, though ... :wink:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:11 pm 

I use Collectorz.com's Book Collector software. Anything with an ISBN is easily searchable and you can download information for.

The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro

WWW ICQ YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:41 pm 

I guess I ought move into the 21st century but I use a printoff will all the products (those that I can afford at any rate!) and I highlight them as I get them. I don't any more complex than that I'm shamed to admit!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:33 am 

Occasionally, I help my brain relax to fall asleep by listing all of the known Judges Guild D&D products and marking the ones I have acquired.  

I have no spreadsheet....and I tend to get confused when people talk in module numbers (R57?) rather than titles.

It took me a long time to figure out exactly what forum members meant by "OCE"...since I did not arrive at these forums by way of the product listings.

I am considering biting the bullet and attacking my storage area this weekend just to see if I still own half of the items that I remember from back in the day.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:32 pm 

I've had just a text file listing all the items I have.  I'm in the process of creating excel files with more info on each item and getting a cover scan too.  I might finish this endevor sometime in 2020...

Previous