How big is your collection?
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:21 am 

I look at these pics and relate them in a different way.  I see 9 woodies and think:  wow, 2 of those would payoff my college loans.  The other seven would help put together a nice down payment for a house.  7 whities would garner me enough money to take a trip to England and visit Al.  Selling off any one shelf would help extend the trip to Italy to talk to aia about his avatar.  So forth and so on....

Martin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:36 am 

AdderMcOne wrote:Now that collection is simply UNBELIEVABLE  8O  8O  :D

Frank, when you say something is in shrink - It's in shrink!! (first 3 pics)

Whenever you open a box of items, is it like rediscovering them again?

(Al, we'll skip Gencon and just stand at Frank's house for the four days)

thats the thing. i think i would forget to eat or drink for 4 days....i would be just utterly mesmerised! i mean i would spend that time just looking through manuscripts - they are what i like most for sure....simply just awesome though

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:37 am 

Prufrock wrote:I look at these pics and relate them in a different way.  I see 9 woodies and think:  wow, 2 of those would payoff my college loans.  The other seven would help put together a nice down payment for a house.  7 whities would garner me enough money to take a trip to England and visit Al.  Selling off any one shelf would help extend the trip to Italy to talk to aia about his avatar.  So forth and so on....

Martin

ah but mart. he could do that anyway, without selling anything  :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:16 am 

That's the point Al - He could; I cannot.  

But I absolutely agree to your wonderment of Franks stacks.  It would take me a day to decide what I would want to look at first.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:14 am 

Prufrock wrote:I look at these pics and relate them in a different way.  I see 9 woodies and think:  wow, 2 of those would payoff my college loans.  The other seven would help put together a nice down payment for a house.  7 whities would garner me enough money to take a trip to England and visit Al.  Selling off any one shelf would help extend the trip to Italy to talk to aia about his avatar.  So forth and so on....

Martin

Bingo.  Martin is on my wavelength.  I saw the 9 woodies and thought "New car!!!".  I saw Frank's stuff and thought "Retirement account!".  I've been selling this stuff too long to appreciate just hoarding it!!!

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:26 am 

Badmike wrote:
Bingo.  Martin is on my wavelength.  I saw the 9 woodies and thought "New car!!!".  I saw Frank's stuff and thought "Retirement account!".  I've been selling this stuff too long to appreciate just hoarding it!!!

Mike B.

well i know that when the day comes and i haul in my nice big multi-millions lottery win, i will be contacting two people :) actually maybe 4....but them 2 to start with :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:37 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
well i know that when the day comes and i haul in my nice big multi-millions lottery win, i will be contacting two people :) actually maybe 4....but them 2 to start with :)

Al

WotC to buy D&D and to bring OD&D back? :)
And who's the other one? Oh yes, the President of Ebay to buy ebay and to force all US sellers to ship overseas  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:40 am 

lokiwookie wrote:
WotC to buy D&D and to bring OD&D back? :)
And who's the other one? Oh yes, the President of Ebay to buy ebay and to force all US sellers to ship overseas  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

nah 1 call to frank m - how much for the lot. 1 call to strato: i will just buy the room, 1 call to deadlord for all the boxes stored and then one call to blackmoor, for his stuff.

sorted, then i can retire and spend the next 30 years reading :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:48 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
nah 1 call to frank m - how much for the lot. 1 call to strato: i will just buy the room, 1 call to deadlord for all the boxes stored and then one call to blackmoor, for his stuff.

Al

I am hoping to get my stuff all out on display soon ( I am hoping before gencon :? )  Lot of work.  Strato and Frank got me beat significantly I might add :)

I probably have more minis than them though 8)

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:48 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:Strato and Frank got me beat significantly I might add

But I always thought that you owned a dozen warehouses in Chibougamau, just for the minis.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:12 pm 

When I die, I'm shipping it all to Al.
C.O.D.
I have about the same volume as Strat, I think, but I don't have a bed of brownies. Hell, I'm not even sure WHAT I have anymore. I'll figure it out as I unpack...

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 1:16 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:

Al

well, i think you excluded me simply cause i still havent found my collection... but since today i feel generous, here we go:

...now: would you consider even my stuff to buy?

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:31 pm 

OK, it is now time to laugh and make fun of me....

Please remember my collection is a playing collection - I use these (well, 99%) of them, anyway:

Link to Slideshow

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:51 pm 

serleran wrote:OK, it is now time to laugh and make fun of me....

Please remember my collection is a playing collection - I use these (well, 99%) of them, anyway:

Link to Slideshow

hey serl

thats a cool little hoard man!

you have way more than me let me tell you. my collection is very small, but i only keep what i really want. mind you that doesnt count a room of about 12,000 judges guild books :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:30 pm 

serleran wrote:OK, it is now time to laugh and make fun of me....

Link to Slideshow

A very excellent, workmanlike collection.  Interesting how much stuff we both have that is the same but also how my game collection kind of crosses yours at a tangent.

I have not noticed a large magazine collection as part of any of the collections I have viewed on the Acaeum.  About half of my collection is magazines of various types...especially Dragon.

Is it that you guys just don't put your Dragon magazines out on shelves or do you not collect it?

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:40 pm 

FormCritic wrote:
A very excellent, workmanlike collection.  Interesting how much stuff we both have that is the same but also how my game collection kind of crosses yours at a tangent.

I have not noticed a large magazine collection as part of any of the collections I have viewed on the Acaeum.  About half of my collection is magazines of various types...especially Dragon.

Is it that you guys just don't put your Dragon magazines out on shelves or do you not collect it?

Most of the collections seem to be stored spine out like books. Hard to do it with magazines. I always kep mine bagged and sometiems boarded in magazine boxes except for a few framed special issues.

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 5:45 pm 

I only own around 8 issues of Dragon, and they are on shelves. I have the Archive, so I don't really care (or need) for print versions (and I never read the magazine, anyway, so there is no nostalgia for me) and, of the ones I do want, they are the first 5, and so, not available to me yet. :) The only real magazine collections I do have are Earthdawn Journals (missing one), KA GE (missing 9,) Pegasus (missing one) and Judges Guild Journals (not missing any). My next major magazine goal is to get almost 100 White Dwarfs, but that is not for my RPG collecting (well, mostly)... its for board games. :)

In my pictures, the magazines tend to be in those black magazine racks (so are thin modules, and original manuscripts) alternated spine in / spine out to prevent "curling."

[edit]

Oops, I forgot "Crusader" in my magazines. I am missing two of them, though, damnit.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:56 pm 

Wow!  Some amazing hoards here. 8O  8O  8O
I am blown away.  I can not imagine having that much gaming stuff.

I have five short comic book boxes and 1 long box of AD&D stuff, primarily issues of Dungeon Magazine and Dragon Magazine, so my collection is way smaller than most.  Oh, I also have a brief case of standard rule books for when I game and three tackle boxes of miniatures.  I really need to use another system to keep my minis since they wouldn't do so well if the box tipped over. :?   Anyway, what I have is more than enough to read and enjoy, and I don't see myself buying much of anything else.  I don't have any woodies or anything else super rare.  I have very few items in shrink, and one day I'll open and read them.

I also have nine long boxes of comic books of all kinds, very little of which is super valuable.  I also have three giant tackle boxes of Mage Knight figures when I used to collect those.  I still think it's a good game even though it's not popular right now and likely never will be again.  

Anyway, I am very satisfied with my collection right now and hope I don't get the itch for much else.  I have a few Dungeon mags I am looking for to complete the collection, but I'm in no hurry to finish it.  I have discovered when I finish one wish list, I often create another.

In the next ten to twelve years, I'll probably start liquidating my collection since I can't stand the thought of my wife/kids possibly selling the stuff for pennies on the dollar.  Plus, it'll give me something to do when I retire.  Some people are of the philosophy that stuff should be handed down to your kids/grandkids, but I think they'd rather have the money.  Also, they don't feel obligated to hang on to the stuff for their kids or whatever.  Maybe I'll pass along a few comic books, but that's it.

I'd show you pictures, but pictures of long boxes and short boxes are pretty boring. :)

Truth is worth finding and life is too short to work for money.

PreviousNext