How big is your collection?
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:15 pm 

GreyM wrote:
Didn't see an Alan one but saw both Hal and Kyle. Keep an eye on Ebay and you'll see original art from Mart Nodell. I picked up a few a couple years ago before he passed on.

Ah, but did you see the Parallax?  There are a couple of them and they are kinda hard to spot.  :wink:   I guess you can call me a Green Lantern nut.  The litho I have hanging over my desk has a panel from Showcase #22 (Oct. 1959) and has six pencil sketches of the Green Lanterns of Earth done by Gil Kane.  I dont have the room for a replica Lantern otherwise it would be on display.

I am currently at the point where there is no longer space for anything else.  I am considering going through my comics and selling the ones I have no desire to keep.  I also have a few hundred Wizard magazines that I really dont need.  Not sure if I could sell them on Ebay or not....probably best to just dump them off at Half Price Books.

Ah screw it.....I'll just buy a new house.  :D

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:37 pm 

Egad. Just saw those photos of stratochamps collection. Makes my 500-600 items pale by comparison. I guess studs at the beach have p***s envy, and geeks like us have bookshelf envy.

I was planning to have a room in my future house with accordian bookshelves to store my collection. Not sure if my wife would let me display mine in the living room next to the piano!!!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:26 pm 

Excellent, stratochamp. It's a real pleasure to see such a nice collection.

Kingofpain, very very interesting collection. Fun to try and spot things in the pictures.

Thanks guys

8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:05 pm 

I've had the pleasure of not only seeing stratochamp's collection in person, but actually assisting in moving it.    :x

The thing is, he has been working on this collection since the mid-80s, attending GenCon auctions as far back as Parkside.  We used to laugh about the care he took with all of his items, and how he worried about whether something was in the shrink.  That's why most of my early stuff is in the, eh hem, shape that it now is.  (But do ask stratochamp about the day a spider and his DMG had an unfortunate encounter . . . .)

My favorite part of Kingofpain89's office may be the closet off to one side, filled with even more boxes.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:23 pm 

Hey Pain, are you really missing R4 or was than an oversight in the photos?

F

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:55 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Hey Pain, are you really missing R4 or was than an oversight in the photos?

F

That's funny that you pointed that out... I thought the exact same thing.  ;)

~Kat  ^_^

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:31 pm 

I love the white baby grand in Stratochamp's game library... and it all looks so neat and organized!  Wow!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:39 pm 

Amazing collection 8O

Great stuff Bill!!

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:03 am 

Stratochamp,
That is a museum quality display!
Congrats on all of the effort that went into that collection!
There is more material on those shelves than I have seen in all of the local game stores combined!
Nice collection King! Cozy looking room with all your favorite things surrounding you.

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:05 am 

Does anyone recall a thread with other images of collections?  I might be thinking of a different forum (if so, my apologies), but I sort of remember seeing other photos...

The items themselves were impressive, sure, but I found the different ways they were displayed interesting.

If the games and books one collects are a reflection of the collector, then how they're shown must say something, too...  I'd be interested if anyone has more images to share.

David

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:13 am 

I tell you there are few things that make me go wow these days... but WOW!... I'll have to get mine up and running like that one day..

To answers Davdic.. there is a thread on DF and ToT like this as well..

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:14 am 

davidc wrote:Does anyone recall a thread with other images of collections?  I might be thinking of a different forum (if so, my apologies), but I sort of remember seeing other photos...

The items themselves were impressive, sure, but I found the different ways they were displayed interesting.

If the games and books one collects are a reflection of the collector, then how they're shown must say something, too...  I'd be interested if anyone has more images to share.

David

Yes - show your collections everyone!

As for images, they've been all over the place - IO had a thread here somewhere, Addermcone posted at one stage among many others. I believe that mars & Grodog have posted over at Dragonsfoot.

This is a neat one from Dwarven Forge forums
http://www.dwarvenforge.com/dwarvenforu ... hp?id=2583

(I have a load of the pics saved somewhere - I love to see peoples stuff!)

(And I started to (re) catalog my stuff yesterday - D&D stuff stands at about 158 items - guess I'm just not that dedicated!!) (Actually it was a realisation that I just don't have the space to store a load of stuff let alone diplay it - so I'm sticking to my core collection (OD&D - 1st ed H/B's -  UK s/b's - Forgotten Realms - some traveller) (Didn't win the lottery tonight so no chance of change this week :roll: )

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:20 am 

ExTSR wrote:Hey Pain, are you really missing R4 or was than an oversight in the photos?

F

Frank, I am indeed missing an R4.  But I shall not be without one for long.  I have already made arrangements to procure one.  :wink:

Kingofpain, very very interesting collection. Fun to try and spot things in the pictures.

Here are a few closeups of some of the more strange items in my collection:

And if you look real close in this last one, it looks like Snake Plissken is about to blow a Green Lantern's brains out.

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:32 am 

I spy the Complete Calvin and Hobbes in King's collection.   :D

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:37 am 

mandalaymoon wrote:I spy the Complete Calvin and Hobbes in King's collection.   :D

If you ask me....no collection is truly complete without it.  :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:51 am 

Kingofpain89 wrote:
And if you look real close in this last one, it looks like Snake Plissken is about to blow a Green Lantern's brains out.

It's just a Kyle....some might say Snake was doing us a favor  :P

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:17 am 

gyg wrote:As for images, they've been all over the place - IO had a thread here somewhere, Addermcone posted at one stage among many others. I believe that mars & Grodog have posted over at Dragonsfoot.

Yep, in the thread at http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewt ... 39&t=17923 and contains the stuff of Guido, and serleran, and Egg of Coot, and several others (although I didn't see Mark's stuff unless it's in another thread??).

I'm making progress on organizing my stuff:  the the tower room shelving is now clear on two shelves, and I've spent time sorting stuff better, though I haven't done a lot to clear out the "to be sold" stuff yet....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:08 am 

Great collections, both of them!
:mrgreen:

"Don't tempt me, I can resist anything but temptation"

PreviousNext