How big is your collection?
Author

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:19 pm 

I did not need to see that. Now, I want to stop collecting. Nine woodgrains? Nine!

Must be nice.

Great collection, to be sure, but I can't help but feel "why bother?"

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:24 pm 

PDT_Armataz_01_23

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:43 pm 

serleran wrote:I did not need to see that. Now, I want to stop collecting. Nine woodgrains? Nine!

Must be nice.

I am reminded greatly of the episode of MASH with the bacteria incubators, "But if I let you have one then I wouldn't have 4." or something like that.

SIDE NOTE: Please post map, vacation schedule and wiring diagram.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:54 pm 

That is one amazing collection!

Wow.....

Therapy-level collector

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:59 pm 

I noticed that I put up some pics a couple of years ago but they dont exist anymore, so I figured I would put up some pics of what my "office" looks like now:

And here are a few closeups of my favorite items:

Now that I have had time to think about it, if I didnt collect other things like comics and video games maybe I could have three or four woodgrains, a few tournament modules, and some other ridiculously rare stuff.  

Hmmm...anyone want to buy a comic book collection?  :wink:

You don't like your job, you don't strike. You go in every day and do it really half-assed. That's the American way. - Homer Simpson

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:30 pm 

Kingofpain89 wrote:I noticed that I put up some pics a couple of years ago but they dont exist anymore, so I figured I would put up some pics of what my "office" looks like now:

Now that I have had time to think about it, if I didnt collect other things like comics and video games maybe I could have three or four woodgrains, a few tournament modules, and some other ridiculously rare stuff.  

Hmmm...anyone want to buy a comic book collection?  :wink:

I liked the Green Lantern. Was that a Golden Age green lantern figure on the top of the one shelf?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:48 pm 

most impressive guys.

thanks for sharing the pics.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:52 pm 

WOW !!!!!

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:07 pm 

Well, the original post asked how many items I had in my collection - if I discount a couple due to not really being complete or decent, I have roughly 1000. Not that many, but I'm quite shocked, still, seeing as I've only been going at it with any real gusto for about 2 years, and in that time, my collection has increased around 40%. So, maybe I'll get to the point where everyone else is... but I don't think it'll happen any time soon.

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:13 pm 

JZavoda wrote:

I liked the Green Lantern. Was that a Golden Age green lantern figure on the top of the one shelf?

Didn't see an Alan one but saw both Hal and Kyle. Keep an eye on Ebay and you'll see original art from Mart Nodell. I picked up a few a couple years ago before he passed on.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:47 pm 

No more than 500 items - probably less. Sadly I don't have the room for a BIG collection.  :D

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:52 pm 

In my heyday as a reseller, 60,000+ rpg items, but I've never been much of a collector except for work on campaigns I've done myself. Probably 35 magazine boxes of papers and campaign notebooks dealing with RPGs.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:04 pm 

thank you mark (mars) for posting the pictures for me. my wife and i bought the house, had the bookshelves built, and then it took me over a year to organize eveything and get the singles up on the shelves in order. then we had a son (whose first gencon is coming up in 2 months), so i`m finally now getting the pics posted. i do view it as a museum to honor the authors and publishers of the games that we all love so much. i never intended to have 9 brown boxes: the first is in true nm shape (it looks brand new), the 2nd was terry kuntzs` brown box, the 3rd rob kuntz, 4th  tim kasks`, 5th was a 2nd pr, 6th was a 3rd pr, 7th was tim`s other box... the items are alphabetical by company and then in numerical order. the boxed items are in the first two bays. on the top shelf of the second bay and going thru the 8th are the digest sized items. starting with bay 3, 2nd shelf down the modules and books begin and continue thru the 7th bay, 5th shelf down. magazines start there and run thru the 8th bay. i thought  if one was looking if an item was there they maybe could search & find it...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:15 pm 

serleran wrote:I did not need to see that. Now, I want to stop collecting. Nine woodgrains? Nine!

Must be nice.

You were never in competition, seleran.  Isn't your collection really about the things that you yourself value?

It is great to see that stratochamp has such a cool setup, but all of us are only temporarily managing these collections.  If 2008 has taught us anything, it should be that.

It's nice to see such a nice collection so well taken care of.

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:15 pm 

GreyM wrote:
Didn't see an Alan one but saw both Hal and Kyle. Keep an eye on Ebay and you'll see original art from Mart Nodell. I picked up a few a couple years ago before he passed on.

Ah, but did you see the Parallax?  There are a couple of them and they are kinda hard to spot.  :wink:   I guess you can call me a Green Lantern nut.  The litho I have hanging over my desk has a panel from Showcase #22 (Oct. 1959) and has six pencil sketches of the Green Lanterns of Earth done by Gil Kane.  I dont have the room for a replica Lantern otherwise it would be on display.

I am currently at the point where there is no longer space for anything else.  I am considering going through my comics and selling the ones I have no desire to keep.  I also have a few hundred Wizard magazines that I really dont need.  Not sure if I could sell them on Ebay or not....probably best to just dump them off at Half Price Books.

Ah screw it.....I'll just buy a new house.  :D

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:37 pm 

Egad. Just saw those photos of stratochamps collection. Makes my 500-600 items pale by comparison. I guess studs at the beach have p***s envy, and geeks like us have bookshelf envy.

I was planning to have a room in my future house with accordian bookshelves to store my collection. Not sure if my wife would let me display mine in the living room next to the piano!!!!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:26 pm 

Excellent, stratochamp. It's a real pleasure to see such a nice collection.

Kingofpain, very very interesting collection. Fun to try and spot things in the pictures.

Thanks guys

8)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:05 pm 

I've had the pleasure of not only seeing stratochamp's collection in person, but actually assisting in moving it.    :x

The thing is, he has been working on this collection since the mid-80s, attending GenCon auctions as far back as Parkside.  We used to laugh about the care he took with all of his items, and how he worried about whether something was in the shrink.  That's why most of my early stuff is in the, eh hem, shape that it now is.  (But do ask stratochamp about the day a spider and his DMG had an unfortunate encounter . . . .)

My favorite part of Kingofpain89's office may be the closet off to one side, filled with even more boxes.

"Parturient montes, nascetur ridiculus mus."

PreviousNext