Private Sales and Sellers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 14 of 70123 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 686970
Author


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 2709
Joined: Feb 10, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 23, 2021
Location: Olde London Towne

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:12 am 
 

Agree to all above.  With one caveat.  I would be wary of doing a private deal with someone who had not been around here for very long.  I did one about a year ago with a new guy who was auctioning off a lot of stuff privately on the Acaeum and I had a problem with one of the items I bought.  

The guy was very nice about trying to sort it out - but in the end nothing actually happened.  I suspect that he was a bit of a bullshitter.  I didn't post about it because he hasn't tried to sell anything since (and in fact hasn't posted much if anything after he sold his stuff).  But if he tries to sell anything else I will politely bring it up so others here are aware.

But every single other deal - 101%  :flower:


Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5613
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 23, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:52 am 
 

Honor system has worked fine for me with Grodog, Killjoy, Mars and many more. I do a fair amount of trading, so Paypal wouldn't work.


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 5029
Joined: Oct 11, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 16, 2017
Location: Texas

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:10 am 
 

I have been ripped off by a long time member of this forum, or at least one who WAS a member. I have not seen any posts since my experience with him over two years ago.

I purchased a LARGE lot from a long time member here. The lot was advertised on this site in the Classifieds.

At first I only wanted a couple of the items in his collection since the lot was fairly big and would have been the biggest single purchase I had ever made. At the time I was near the end of my collecting obsession but I inquired further and we spoke by E-Mail and eventually by phone. He sent numerous pics and we made a deal for the entire collection.

I actually got ONE of THREE large boxes of the collection. His excuse was that he let his brother take the stuff to the PO and apparently he is an idiot.

The one box I eventually DID get was trashed with a gaping hole along one side. I was surprised that ANYTHING was still inside. Nothing was actually packed it was simply tossed into a large cardboard box taped with a single line at the top and bottom and sent in the regular mail.

After a while he simply stopped returning my e-mails and calls.

That experience ruined the thrill I once enjoyed in collecting. That and starting my own company convinced me that it was time to stop.

A month later I posted a note at this site about selling my own collection. Almost every big collector here at the time knew I had a lot of value in my rare items and an immense amount of somewhat rare D&D items. After all many of them had to bid against me for the items in my collection which came from E-Bay purchases. And yet I got no serious inquiries. So, I sold almost everything I had to Badmike.

Mike didn't have to worry about shipping though. He loaded the bed of his pickup to the top and the cab so much that I was truly concerned whether or not he could even see when he drove off.


"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 7942
Joined: Jun 23, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 23, 2021
Location: DFW TX

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:55 am 
 

Aneoth wrote:I have been ripped off by a long time member of this forum, or at least one who WAS a member. I have not seen any posts since my experience with him over two years ago.

I purchased a LARGE lot from a long time member here. The lot was advertised on this site in the Classifieds.

At first I only wanted a couple of the items in his collection since the lot was fairly big and would have been the biggest single purchase I had ever made. At the time I was near the end of my collecting obsession but I inquired further and we spoke by E-Mail and eventually by phone. He sent numerous pics and we made a deal for the entire collection.

I actually got ONE of THREE large boxes of the collection. His excuse was that he let his brother take the stuff to the PO and apparently he is an idiot.

The one box I eventually DID get was trashed with a gaping hole along one side. I was surprised that ANYTHING was still inside. Nothing was actually packed it was simply tossed into a large cardboard box taped with a single line at the top and bottom and sent in the regular mail.

After a while he simply stopped returning my e-mails and calls.

That experience ruined the thrill I once enjoyed in collecting. That and starting my own company convinced me that it was time to stop.

A month later I posted a note at this site about selling my own collection. Almost every big collector here at the time knew I had a lot of value in my rare items and an immense amount of somewhat rare D&D items. After all many of them had to bid against me for the items in my collection which came from E-Bay purchases. And yet I got no serious inquiries. So, I sold almost everything I had to Badmike.

Mike didn't have to worry about shipping though. He loaded the bed of his pickup to the top and the cab so much that I was truly concerned whether or not he could even see when he drove off.


Hey, I STILL haven't unloaded all the stuff from the truck....guess I should get around to it soon....?  8O

I've been so lucky that everyone I've met on the forum and then in real life has been a great, stand up guy.  All the deals I've had as a result of the forum have gone through without a hitch, including at least two high amount deals.  

I think maybe two guys I've contacted through the Acaeum never came through with their sides of the deals, but in both cases it was a new member and no money/items ever actually changed hands...so no harm was really done.

The forum isn't 100% proof someone is honest, but then neither were the old FRP.Marketplace Newsgroup posters, or the older AOL classified posters, and that was my preferred trading grounds from 1994-1998 or so.  I'd say 95% of deals went through without a hitch in the old days before Ebay.  Fortunately as a whole RPGers seem to be basically honest folk, or at least more honest than a lot of other collecting fields.

Mike B.


"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

 WWW  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2737
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Dec 30, 2020

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:09 am 
 

I once had a trade with grodog, but I wasn't a member here. I've also dealt with a few others, also before being a member, and primarily through eBay. So far, things look good. I don't have anything you want, and if I did... I wouldn't sell it. :)


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4475
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 23, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:53 pm 
 

Thanks to Jeff (Blackmoor) for helping with the Harn itch I was having :)
Now I just have to see if it is cured or becomes a rash :D

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1620
Joined: Feb 12, 2005
Last Visit: Jan 22, 2021

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:43 pm 
 

i just bought some items from vermilion fire. i got them right away and in the condition that they had been described to be. so thank you very much william.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Posts: 1843
Joined: May 01, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 23, 2021
Location: Almost Lake Geneva, WI

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:30 pm 
 

A general warning, tho... it's almost summer, Jim Ward is loose, and the Penguins of Destiny have been sighted.

You'll have to ask him for the details.

Luckily they haven't been spotted on this site yet.  :roll:



.



.



.



.



.



.



Image

  

User avatar

Sage Collector

Posts: 2737
Joined: May 31, 2007
Last Visit: Dec 30, 2020

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:37 pm 
 

What cute little, happy, feet. Is that Chilly Willy when he gets all psychedelic? :)


Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Posts: 1843
Joined: May 01, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 23, 2021
Location: Almost Lake Geneva, WI

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:03 pm 
 

Nothing to Image laugh (or dance) about.

Those dam'd PoD's first appeared in Lake Geneva, Image in the late '70s, and have been spreading ever Image since. They come out in late Image spring, and go back into hibernation on the Image Summer equinox, but while they're out, they're Image a pandemic.  :roll:

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 1665
Joined: Jul 01, 2006
Last Visit: Jan 23, 2021
Location: Moncton, NB Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:10 pm 
 

Wow! How many hit dice do they have and what is their bite attack damage?
:D

More importantly...what is their movement rate? You'd want to be able to outrun one of them suckers!


Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1324
Joined: May 28, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:16 pm 
 

jasonw1239 wrote:More importantly...what is their movement rate? You'd want to be able to outrun one of them suckers!


Even more importantly: what's the movement rate of the other members of the party?  I'm sure I don't have to expand on that old joke... :D

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3590
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 23, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:14 am 
 

Plaag wrote:Thanks to Jeff (Blackmoor) for helping with the Harn itch I was having :)
Now I just have to see if it is cured or becomes a rash :D

ShaneG.


Wow that arrived fast, did the box make it OK?

BTW Thanks for the sale :D


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4475
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 23, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:18 am 
 

Blackmoor wrote:
Wow that arrived fast, did the box make it OK?

BTW Thanks for the sale :D


Yep, all fine..but I won't bore you the details of the cursing I was giving my postman. :evil:

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 123
Joined: Oct 06, 2005
Last Visit: May 22, 2017
Location: Cleveland, OH

Post Posted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:18 am 
 

Aneoth wrote:I have been ripped off by a long time member of this forum, or at least one who WAS a member. I have not seen any posts since my experience with him over two years ago.

After a while he simply stopped returning my e-mails and calls.


I was trading audio tapes with someone a few years ago. I think he lived in Seattle, and he didn't send me my tapes, after I sent him his. No response to e-mail, so I looked up his phone number and started calling him. At the time I had to get up at 5 a.m. for work. I'd call him at 6. With the three-hour time difference, it was 3 a.m. his time. After a week, he relented and FedEx'd me the tapes. It was fun, actually, and the phone bills only totalled maybe $2, since the calls were short and during off-peak time.


"We were put on this Earth to fart around."
                            - Kurt Vonnegut

  


Verbose Collector

Posts: 1324
Joined: May 28, 2007
Last Visit: Aug 27, 2011
Location: Toronto, ON, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:16 am 
 

Thanks to Papasloth for getting me a bunch of Dark Sun items I was looking for, though I'm sure my letter carrier hates both of us now. :thumleft:

  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 2709
Joined: Feb 10, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 23, 2021
Location: Olde London Towne

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:45 am 
 

Thanks to vermilionfire for a lovely item, superbly packed and delivered via ultra-fast international shipping!

Much obliged William.

Peace and harmony to everyone on the Acaeum  :flower:


Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2020

Post Posted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:48 am 
 

ExTSR wrote:A general warning, tho... it's almost summer, Jim Ward is loose, and the Penguins of Destiny have been sighted.

You'll have to ask him for the details.

Luckily they haven't been spotted on this site yet.  :roll:



[ Image ]


I hate it when Jim Ward is loose!  

One year we had Jim Ward in our attic and we had to call an exterminator.

The exterminator was able to lure the rogue designer down with a booby-trapped copy of Advanced Squad Leader.   Then he used the 3rd edition grapple rules to confuse him and drag him out of the house.

Even after that, we still had Jim Ward loose in our neighborhood half the  summer, creating new rules for card games and constantly rolling for initiative.  I finally got rid of him by demanding each time that he calculate his weapon speed factor and specifically list all of his spell components.

Last time I saw him, he was hopping a train for Wisconsin, forcing the other hobos to roll skill checks and stuff.

Mark  :lol:


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3590
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 23, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 10:18 pm 
 

Big thanks to Ekim Toor for helping to fill a hole in my miniature collection.  Prompt and reliable :D

Thanks Mike PDT_Armataz_01_37


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3590
Joined: Dec 20, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 23, 2021
Location: Canada

Post Posted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:19 pm 
 

Yet another great deal from an Acaeum member.  This time Vermillionfire!! :D

A load of great stuff

Thanks William PDT_Armataz_01_37


Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 14 of 70123 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 686970