Private Sales and Sellers
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 15 of 78123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 767778
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 9:22 am 

Thanks to Acaeum member Boreas for a terrfic trade. Filled most of the gaps in my 3.5e stuff, and the trade was more than fair.

Hoping to trade with more of the good folks on this site - it's nice to be able to deal with reliable traders outside of eBay.

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:32 pm 

DAYECON SUCKS!!!

BCLARKIE RULES!!!

:wink:

Thanks man!  :D

Verbose Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:43 am 

A big thank you to Mars for providing a non-D&D item that I was looking for.
It arrived safely today, very well packaged and protected.
(just in time for my Thursday night Call of Cthulhu session) :twisted:
Thanks!

Check out my Chaosium sourcebook.
Secrets of Tibet

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:02 am 

A very late thank you to Badmike, who filled a small gap in my 2E collection with an EXCELLENT copy of an older book!

Thanks very much!

:D

Original 28mm fantasy gaming miniatures at http://www.centerstageminis.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:01 pm 

Hi, was just wondering how a private sell here works, and what protection the buyer has? Thanks

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:14 pm 

Afrika Corps wrote:Hi, was just wondering how a private sell here works, and what protection the buyer has? Thanks

Good question! Honest answer is it's all based on reputation, which I feel is worth a lot round here. As for protection... I guess only that which paypal gives you, and the ability to publically 'call' someone :roll:

FWIW every deal I have done here has been 100% - something I cannot say for any other buying/selling outlet I use :(

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:28 am 

Afrika Corps wrote:Hi, was just wondering how a private sell here works, and what protection the buyer has? Thanks

I bought some very high dollar stuff from some the folks here and had only the best experinces :D

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:58 am 

That's actually sort of an interesting question. I always assumed that everything here was informal, using one of those "it just works" honor systems. I know it's worked for me ... three times, I think ... and I can't recall ever seeing two members at each other's throats over a blown deal.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:12 am 

Agree to all above.  With one caveat.  I would be wary of doing a private deal with someone who had not been around here for very long.  I did one about a year ago with a new guy who was auctioning off a lot of stuff privately on the Acaeum and I had a problem with one of the items I bought.  

The guy was very nice about trying to sort it out - but in the end nothing actually happened.  I suspect that he was a bit of a bullshitter.  I didn't post about it because he hasn't tried to sell anything since (and in fact hasn't posted much if anything after he sold his stuff).  But if he tries to sell anything else I will politely bring it up so others here are aware.

But every single other deal - 101%  :flower:

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:52 am 

Honor system has worked fine for me with Grodog, Killjoy, Mars and many more. I do a fair amount of trading, so Paypal wouldn't work.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Grandstanding Collector
JG Valuation Board
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:10 am 

I have been ripped off by a long time member of this forum, or at least one who WAS a member. I have not seen any posts since my experience with him over two years ago.

I purchased a LARGE lot from a long time member here. The lot was advertised on this site in the Classifieds.

At first I only wanted a couple of the items in his collection since the lot was fairly big and would have been the biggest single purchase I had ever made. At the time I was near the end of my collecting obsession but I inquired further and we spoke by E-Mail and eventually by phone. He sent numerous pics and we made a deal for the entire collection.

I actually got ONE of THREE large boxes of the collection. His excuse was that he let his brother take the stuff to the PO and apparently he is an idiot.

The one box I eventually DID get was trashed with a gaping hole along one side. I was surprised that ANYTHING was still inside. Nothing was actually packed it was simply tossed into a large cardboard box taped with a single line at the top and bottom and sent in the regular mail.

After a while he simply stopped returning my e-mails and calls.

That experience ruined the thrill I once enjoyed in collecting. That and starting my own company convinced me that it was time to stop.

A month later I posted a note at this site about selling my own collection. Almost every big collector here at the time knew I had a lot of value in my rare items and an immense amount of somewhat rare D&D items. After all many of them had to bid against me for the items in my collection which came from E-Bay purchases. And yet I got no serious inquiries. So, I sold almost everything I had to Badmike.

Mike didn't have to worry about shipping though. He loaded the bed of his pickup to the top and the cab so much that I was truly concerned whether or not he could even see when he drove off.

"Guys, I am starting to think Tegel Manor might be haunted..."
Stated by me as a PC during a run of Tegel Manor DMed by killjoy at NTRPGCon 2010

Charter Member of the ATM

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:55 am 

Aneoth wrote:I have been ripped off by a long time member of this forum, or at least one who WAS a member. I have not seen any posts since my experience with him over two years ago.

I purchased a LARGE lot from a long time member here. The lot was advertised on this site in the Classifieds.

At first I only wanted a couple of the items in his collection since the lot was fairly big and would have been the biggest single purchase I had ever made. At the time I was near the end of my collecting obsession but I inquired further and we spoke by E-Mail and eventually by phone. He sent numerous pics and we made a deal for the entire collection.

I actually got ONE of THREE large boxes of the collection. His excuse was that he let his brother take the stuff to the PO and apparently he is an idiot.

The one box I eventually DID get was trashed with a gaping hole along one side. I was surprised that ANYTHING was still inside. Nothing was actually packed it was simply tossed into a large cardboard box taped with a single line at the top and bottom and sent in the regular mail.

After a while he simply stopped returning my e-mails and calls.

That experience ruined the thrill I once enjoyed in collecting. That and starting my own company convinced me that it was time to stop.

A month later I posted a note at this site about selling my own collection. Almost every big collector here at the time knew I had a lot of value in my rare items and an immense amount of somewhat rare D&D items. After all many of them had to bid against me for the items in my collection which came from E-Bay purchases. And yet I got no serious inquiries. So, I sold almost everything I had to Badmike.

Mike didn't have to worry about shipping though. He loaded the bed of his pickup to the top and the cab so much that I was truly concerned whether or not he could even see when he drove off.

Hey, I STILL haven't unloaded all the stuff from the truck....guess I should get around to it soon....?  8O

I've been so lucky that everyone I've met on the forum and then in real life has been a great, stand up guy.  All the deals I've had as a result of the forum have gone through without a hitch, including at least two high amount deals.  

I think maybe two guys I've contacted through the Acaeum never came through with their sides of the deals, but in both cases it was a new member and no money/items ever actually changed hands...so no harm was really done.

The forum isn't 100% proof someone is honest, but then neither were the old FRP.Marketplace Newsgroup posters, or the older AOL classified posters, and that was my preferred trading grounds from 1994-1998 or so.  I'd say 95% of deals went through without a hitch in the old days before Ebay.  Fortunately as a whole RPGers seem to be basically honest folk, or at least more honest than a lot of other collecting fields.

Mike B.

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
NTRPGCON

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:09 am 

I once had a trade with grodog, but I wasn't a member here. I've also dealt with a few others, also before being a member, and primarily through eBay. So far, things look good. I don't have anything you want, and if I did... I wouldn't sell it. :)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:53 pm 

Thanks to Jeff (Blackmoor) for helping with the Harn itch I was having :)
Now I just have to see if it is cured or becomes a rash :D

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:43 pm 

i just bought some items from vermilion fire. i got them right away and in the condition that they had been described to be. so thank you very much william.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:30 pm 

A general warning, tho... it's almost summer, Jim Ward is loose, and the Penguins of Destiny have been sighted.

You'll have to ask him for the details.

Luckily they haven't been spotted on this site yet.  :roll:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:37 pm 

What cute little, happy, feet. Is that Chilly Willy when he gets all psychedelic? :)

Those who can, don't. Those who should not, do.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:03 pm 

Nothing to Image laugh (or dance) about.

Those dam'd PoD's first appeared in Lake Geneva, Image in the late '70s, and have been spreading ever Image since. They come out in late Image spring, and go back into hibernation on the Image Summer equinox, but while they're out, they're Image a pandemic.  :roll:

PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 15 of 78123 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16 ... 767778