Those silly 1980's Action Figures have found a new purpose!
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:12 pm 

Well, I have a whole box of LJN and the "bendy" TSR AD&D figures just sitting in a box in my garage.  I figured I'd get around to selling them sooner or later . . . but guess what!

Even though they appear to be silly little "kid" toys . . . they turn out to be great for . . . kids!  I pulled a few out and gave them to my daughter to play with (she is only 21 months old) and she loves them.  In particular she likes the Shambling Mound, the Troglodyte and (especially) the Odious Ogre.  

Her mother was not enthusiastic that I gave them to her and declarded that the were "stupid" and "ugly" and that Arianna would "not like them".  However, mom has had to eat her words and reluctantly admit that for reasons unknown to her Arianna is always carrying that "stupid" Ogre around (I tried to explain it is an Odious Ogre . . . not a Stupid Ogre).

So, everything is working out nicely . . . Arianna now can say Shambler, Trog, Ogre, Grell and Carrion Crawler.

Nice to find out that they had a purpose after all!

(Time to get that box of Warlocks & Warriors out of storage . . . It won't be long till she's ready for that.  8) )

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 1:40 pm 

LOL.  That's great Paul :D  

Some of Ethan's books (Pooh's ABCs among others) have references to Dragons, fairies, knights, etc., so I've been building his D&D vocabulary from them.  I've been wanting to paint miniatures for quite awhile now (since well-before our move), and am thinking that will really excite his interest further.

He was very interested in playing with the cup o' dice while we were visiting my parents' home in NJ for Xmas:  he'd "sneak up" on us and dump them over our heads while we were sitting on the floor :D :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:17 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:Well, I have a whole box of LJN and the "bendy" TSR AD&D figures just sitting in a box in my garage.

What kind -- 1st series, 2nd series, battlematic, small (1-2"), normal, large, XL, huge, mounts, Tiamat, loose, MOC?

Think again when you call 'em silly. I get good money for these. If you study 'em and the marketplace, they're bona-fide collectibles... especially the battlematics and mounts (horses & dragon). And especially Tiamat, who brings $75-250 varying by condition...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 2:48 pm 

ExTSR wrote:
Beyondthebreach wrote:Well, I have a whole box of LJN and the "bendy" TSR AD&D figures just sitting in a box in my garage.

What kind -- 1st series, 2nd series, battlematic, small (1-2"), normal, large, XL, huge, mounts, Tiamat, loose, MOC?

Think again when you call 'em silly. I get good money for these. If you study 'em and the marketplace, they're bona-fide collectibles... especially the battlematics and mounts (horses & dragon). And especially Tiamat, who brings $75-250 varying by condition...

I know, I know . . .  :D  I was using "silly" for lighthearted, comedic purposes (well, they are a little silly).  But, I generally can squeeze the last dollar of profit out of a most things I acquire . . .

I have a Tiamat (but I think one wing is broken off - still there)

They are not MIP, but the previous owner did save all the backboards - so, I'll just grab my stack and see:

Bugbear & Goblin
Trog & Goblin
Bullywugs of the Bog
Sinister Spectre & Lich
Neo-Otyugh
Orcs of the Broken Bone
Sarken Mercenaries
Dwarves of the Mountain King
Elves of the Woodlands
Steadfast Men-At-Arms
Heroic Men-at-Arms
Raging Roper
Deadly Grell
Carrion Crawler
Fire Elemental
Shambling Mound
Minotaur of the Maze
Odious Ogre
Terrible Troll
Umber Hulk

LJN:

Warduke
Elkhorn
Ringlerun
Mercion
Melf
Zarak
Strongheart
Kelek
and the Good Destrier and Evil Nightmare steeds.  Also, Strongheart's Dragon Steed (but the head is broken off of the Dragon  :cry:  )

Probably a few more . . .

A couple of mini figs (Strongheart and Warduke, at least).  The backboard for Grimsword and Warduke say Battlematic . . .

Most of the accessories appear to be there (i.e. loot, pile of gold, etc.)

Umm . . . I'll get round to listing them eventually (except the Odious Ogre, of course).

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 5:34 pm 

ExTSR wrote:

I really miss my D&D figures.  I got several of them for my birthday when I was about ten or eleven.  I also had the destrier, nightmare, and the bronze dragon.  I lost all of them in a move about ten years later.  I do remember finding the body of the bronze dragon when I was a senior in college, but figured that I would never again find the wings so I just ended up throwing it away.  Same goes for most of my Masters of the Universe toys (no laughing damnit  :P ).  I still have all of the figures but never found any of the vehicles or mounts.  :(

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:14 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:

I know, I know . . .  :D  I was using "silly" for lighthearted, comedic purposes (well, they are a little silly).  

eBay listings

From what DD miniatures booster are they come from?

War of the Dragon Queen? Is Hulk Hogan a rare, a common or an uncommon?

Nice, I had no idea of what could be those Action Figures, but there are some pictures :D

TSR made so many things 8O...