What don't you have that you want?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:32 am 

I've gotta say I'm fairly "sated" with my D&D collecting.  As I'm a gamer first and collector distant second, having good working copies of stuff is just about enough for me, but there's still one or two things I wouldn't mind having...

Case in point: while I know that by the time I can afford one at today's prices they'll be out of reach, I'd love to have a copy of Lost Toamachan - if for no other reason that Dave Sutherland's character portraits therein.

Plus I'd like to have a nice, boxed OCE, "Just 'cause".  Maybe I can find one of those one day.

Now, don't get me wrong - if I found a super-duper rare thing (an orange B3, an ST1, a Lost Caverns of Tsojconth wintercon, etc.) lying around at the local used bookstore I'd pounce on it!

But as active pursuit goes, aside from pastel modules (which are common enough - I got a damn near mint copy of C1 for like $7 total with shipping as a BiN offa ebay), I think those two I mentioned above are the ones I'd really, really love to have for my own.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:41 am 

DungeonDelver wrote:I've gotta say I'm fairly "sated" with my D&D collecting.  

Blasphemy!   :wink:

There's always more stuff to get... with just about everything except some super-rares (and some of those I'm just not that interested in at the current prices), I now find myself getting into collecting the original artwork (there's only one of them) and professionally painted minis.  I think a lot of us originally set out to just have nice copies of all the TSR published D&D/AD&D stuff, and then branched out to become collecting experts on every printing of the OCEs, non-TSR stuff, miniatures, other gaming system such as MERP or CoC, board games genres, and/or even CCGs (gasp!).  We probably all have the collecting bug to some degree and that bug is rarely ever fully sated.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:45 am 

Schopenhauer was right.  We are caught between boredom on the one hand, and constant striving and pain on the other.  :cry:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:15 pm 

I very much want an original painting that became a cover of Dragone or some Module.  Or one of the super-rares.  However a lack of money coupled with an unfortunately bad ebay hunting record have prevented me from attaining any of these.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:21 pm 

red_bus wrote:Schopenhauer was right.  We are caught between boredom on the one hand, and constant striving and pain on the other.  :cry:

You must be looking in my window, Steven!

Anyway, I'd say the one thing that's been gnawing at me for a while is a nice woodgrain.  I have this fantasy that once I finally find one, I'll sit back and take a breather.

On a somewhat related note, and since we've been discussing collecting as an investment strategy on another thread, I'd have to say that for me it's not about the monetary value or potential appreciation thereof of the items I collect.  It's about owning a piece of the history of this incredible game.  I know I've paid too much for some of the rares I have, but f*ck it, now I have them.  And I sure as hell love taking them down and looking at them, and in some cases, actually using them.  Damn, that can be quite a rush.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:30 pm 

bombadil wrote:And I sure as hell love taking them down and looking at them, and in some cases, actually using them.  Damn, that can be quite a rush.

Absolutely!  That is how we can escape his 'pessimism' (that is, boredom vs. striving/pain) - by forgetting ourselves - like when we play D&D or appreciate a module.

(thinks), possibly thesis material here...  8O :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:42 pm 

Prolly unattainable, but...

During my RPGA days I pasted copies of some of the original OD&D art (Greg Bell & others) into the Polyhedrons. A couple of the originals were still around, but nobody seemed to know where they were, not even Dave Sutherland.

If they survived... now, THOSE would be an ultimate treasure. Sketchy and crude as they were, those OD&D illos represent the birth pangs of an entire industry.

On a related note, I have a couple of the original B&W pieces used to illustrate my R series, but that's all. Would love to buy back the rest from whoever got 'em (and who fails to realize what treasure they have...).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:44 pm 

I am so close to a complete set now that when I see an item I do not have (Like a 1st woodgrain for example) I can not think of much else until it is over.  The rares are very hard to obtain and the prices getting real high!  I just hope I can win a few before the rares start commanding prices in the $10,000 range.

What I really want is one of the following in nice condition:

Limited Tomoachan or Inverness
1st print woody

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:46 pm 

Since the only true "rare" I ever possessed was an orange B3...given to me as part of a whole collection someone no longer wanted and which I gave away not long after because I "already had a copy of that module"...I'd like to have another of those.

But really...a mint true 1st DMG would probably be my choice because it's the book that really started me on my long adventure and the one I far and away spent the most time reading....and still do. Is that sad? I don't care. Other than that, I'd really just like to talk to my favorite authors/creators from back in the day...you know, a place like this one.  :D

As for the "value" of collecting...I'm a player first, always have been, always will be and a reader second. Collecting is merely a by-product. I think it's the greatest game ever invented (with the possible exception of chess) and I just enjoy it for all it has given and continues to give me. I don't really care what someone else says it's worth (well, except the seller and insurance company), it's about what it's worth to me.

I'm nearly through unpacking and cataloguing my collection and adding the main missing pieces of import and they are now proudly displayed for the first time in years, although not in the main room where I think they belong (wives...). Just seeing them sitting there gives me pleasure. That's what it's about. Nostalgia, fun, value, all of it.

Am I sated? Not really and doubt I ever will be. And that's a good thing. It insures I have something relatively trivial to pursue to keep me busy and excited. For another thing, I'm not in the market for rares but if I had the cash, I probably would be. Maybe one day I will. But I am happy. The pieces that mean the most in my value system are in place and where I can see and handle them.

Does that answer your question? Heh...

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:15 pm 

I guess it might be "better" copies of things I already have. Nothing I really need for rares cept stuff like pre-pubs type stuff and oddities like VermilionFire's pewter chalice and unless I got them cheap I doubt I will bother.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:37 pm 

Well, I just scored a non-OCE edition of the white box along with all original supplements, so I'm happy on that front. As a result a wood grain seems superfluous right now, but if I came across one cheap or in a unique place I'd jump on it of course (need to spend my money on other items I don't yet have).

What I really would love to have right now are RPGA modules R1-4 and RPGA1-8! Not super rare, but I'd like to have a copy of H1 if I could find it.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:41 pm 

TigerKing wrote:But really...a mint true 1st DMG would probably be my choice because it's the book that really started me on my long adventure and the one I far and away spent the most time reading....and still do. Is that sad? I don't care. Other than that, I'd really just like to talk to my favorite authors/creators from back in the day...you know, a place like this one.  :D

Excellent choice.  First DMGs are common enough that they don't cost a fortune.  But I sincerely doubt you'll find a mint copy, due to the utility of the book and the enthusiasm of early AD&D players.  The closest I've seen on eBay was one that might pass as VF...good luck!

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:46 pm 

Thanks deimos but a man can dream...seriously, something along the lines VF would be more than sufficient for my tastes or even VG, provided the wear was of the type that doesn't really bother me.

"Surely you don't disbelieve the prophecies just because you had a hand in bringing them about?" J.R.R. Tolkien

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:03 pm 

I would like to get a decent original copy of lost caverns of tsojconth someday! The only other thing is I would really like to take the time to print up a concept for a module called erelhei-cinlu which would be a companion to D3 vault of the drow! My adventures in D3 always suffered because the module was incomplete to begin with and to complete it yourself was a serious undertaking so i always just winged it - that was a shame because it always compromised the ending to an otherwise brilliant campaign! When i got back into AD&D about 5 years ago i started to think about a concept for this companion module and every once in a while I think about it again and add to the plot to the point where it has become quite epic! It would take a lot of work though and it's tough to make the time...perhaps if some board members expressed an interest in seeing a printed up version of this concept that would motivate me! Of couse if I did make such a module it would only be a couple copies offered for free to interested board members!

Posted: seeking arcane knowledge, will pay well for old writings,books,scrolls,alchemist cookbooks, and other odds n' ends that will aid me in furthering my pursuits!

-Thenraine the silver magus

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:36 pm 

...perhaps if some board members expressed an interest in seeing a printed up version of this concept that would motivate me! Of couse if I did make such a module it would only be a couple copies offered for free to interested board members!

--->Alright! I love D3 and I fell in love with the whole Dark Elf Underdark back when I got D3. Talk about a strange new world to be discovered. So write away, I look forward to your first draft!

As far as what I don't have but want...just about everyone else's collections would be nice.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:23 pm 

Thenraine---

On the Erelhei Cinlu front, If you're looking some excellent (3e-based) inspiration for Erelhei Cinlu, see Russell Bird's Oerth Journal article "Erelhei-Cinlu, Drow City of Pleasure" in issue 14, downloadable from Canonfire! at http://www.greyhawkonline.com/OJ_14.pdf (this issue also contains my interview with Rob Kuntz, FYI, in addition to its other many wonders). The Oerth Journal is a free, fan publication, so you can't beat the price! :D

You can also check out Fred Weining's wonderful article "The Vault of the Drow: Dark Elf Metropolis" in Living Greyhawk Journal #14 (appearing in Dragon 298, August 2002). Fred also published a follow-up article entitled "Playing Pieces: Denizens of Darkness" in Living Greyhawk Journal #16/Dragon 300 (October 2002).

I've stolen material both of their articles for use in my own campaign, and incorporated it with my own additions to Gygax's original presentation of D3 Vault of the Drow (which remains one of my favorite of his published adventures).

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:46 pm 

grodog wrote:Canonfire! at http?www.greyhawkonline.com/OJ_14.pdf

Better make that:

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/canonfire/OJ_14.pdf

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:48 pm 

Maybe most of you may find this rather down the line, but the real target of my collecting, and the reason why I started collecting at all, was a complete FR set. Unfortunately, there are a few modules that I'm searching in SW condition that keep avoiding me. Namely they are H2-H4, N5, I3-5, FRQ3, The Sword of the Dales, The Secret of Spiderhaunt and The Lost Level.

There are many other things I'm interested into, but nothing would make me happier than finding those modules.