List of sellers with exorbitant shipping/no combined ship
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:39 pm 

did anyone email them?  It might have been a simple listing error, he's using calculated shipping so if he mistakenly typed in say 66 pounds instead of 6 pounds (for example) it would have caused this huge rate to display and he might not have noticed. not defending the seller since I don't know them, but I've seen it happen before.  =)

It's almost certain to be a listing error. It makes no sense to have massive postage -- a means to get around eBay fees -- and yet have a reserve on the auction. That is, if you intentionally have large shipping fees that acts as the defacto reserve price.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:47 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
Well the lot has a bid, so that ridiculously high shipping price hasn't detered everyone.  Perhaps our old friend there knows something we don't.

Its not something he could enforce...

Seller: The price for the auction is $X + $700 shipping

Buyer:  You have to be joking.  how much does the package weigh?

Seller:  Pay for the auction or I will list you as a non payer.

Buyer:  Screw yourself

Seller to eBay: This buyer refuses to pay for the auction.

eBay to Buyer:  Please pay the auction within x days

Buyer to eBay: have you seen the postage costs?

ebay:  You have to be F'n joking.

ebay to Seller: Get real!

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:49 pm 

improvstone wrote:
Its not something he could enforce...

Seller: The price for the auction is $X + $700 shipping

Buyer:  You have to be joking.  how much does the package weigh?

Seller:  Pay for the auction or I will list you as a non payer.

Buyer:  Screw yourself

Seller to eBay: This buyer refuses to pay for the auction.

eBay to Buyer:  Please pay the auction within x days

Buyer to eBay: have you seen the postage costs?

ebay:  You have to be F'n joking.

ebay to Seller: Get real!

True, but I was more pointing to the bidder on the auction moreso than anything else. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:03 am 

bclarkie wrote:
True, but I was more pointing to the bidder on the auction moreso than anything else. :wink:

You mean bidders don't you  :lol:

"... and may I remind you that this ain't the end. I can still kick some ass." - Tom Petty

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:07 am 

improvstone wrote:
You mean bidders don't you  :lol:

You know once you get on top of that thing, you can start bidding in $0.01 increments.  Just ask David. :P

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:09 am 

sheeadog wrote:This one's utterly ridiculous....

** expired/removed eBay auction **

He will allow local pickup but will charge a 6% sales tax.

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:44 am 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:

Yes but I assume that is part of Idaho tax law?

Does it really cost $25 in the US to move that much ... I find that hard to believe ...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:22 pm 

improvstone wrote:
Yes but I assume that is part of Idaho tax law?

Does it really cost $25 in the US to move that much ... I find that hard to believe ...

Nope. In fact, looking at that auction, all those items should fit in an $8 Flat Rate USPS box!  8 bucks!

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:57 pm 

I'm voting "clueless" here rather than "shady." For one, this guy doesn't know how to use eBay's shipping calculator, which works flawlessly if the human input is correct. On the other hand, he seems willing to answer questions and to at least recognize the fact that his initial shipping figure was ridiculous.

And, yes, 16 modules will easily fit into a USPS flat-rate box for $8.10. I've gotten as many as 18 modules into one of those, and I still had a little bit of room left over.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 1:35 pm 

Kosh Vorlontay wrote:

I have seen a number of auctions in Canada that do this as well - charge 6% GST if in Canada + 8% PST if you live in Ontario.  I can understand that people who do this are probably businesses and this is what they would charge for tax out of their store.  But are these even valid Ebay fees?  

It is illegal to charge a handling fee that is percent based which is why sellers got in trouble for doing this when they started accepting paypal.  I think this type of fee is actually illegal in the state in which Ebay is run in.  Can anyone confirm this?  So then does it make these percent tax fees illegal also?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:31 pm 

Mars wrote:

I have seen a number of auctions in Canada that do this as well - charge 6% GST if in Canada + 8% PST if you live in Ontario.  I can understand that people who do this are probably businesses and this is what they would charge for tax out of their store.  But are these even valid Ebay fees?  

Ebay allows taxes to be charged, assuming the amount charged is actually a valid tax (from http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/lis ... pping.html):

<i>Tax: Only actual applicable federal, state, country, city, VAT, and equivalent taxes may be charged.</i>

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:47 pm 

sheeadog wrote:This one's utterly ridiculous....

Beckmonsgaming paradise?  I remember him well!  It was about two years ago that he listed a lot containing a first print, complete Call of Cthulhu box set (misspelled, no less) and a Villains & Vigilantes box set plus modules, a Tales from the Crypt box set and a Heroes of Olympus box set.

All items complete, unpunched/uncut and high grade.

Listed shipping was about $70!  8O

A polite email ascertained that he had no intention of charging that much.  He claimed a similiar "shipping calculator is messed up" answer.

He quoted me $10 for shipping.  

So . . . I was the only bidder and won the auction for $20!  A grand total of $30 which I sold for a net $63.63 profit.  :)

How someone can be so clueless as to let potential buyers think that shipping is so outrageous is beyond me . . . and it's apparently been going on for 2+ years!  :roll:

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:27 pm 

Here is another winner:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... osi_widget

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:35 pm 

Here is another winner:

Name=MERCOSI_VI_ROSI_PR4_PCN_BIX&refitem=120074839878&itemcount=4&refw idgetloc=closed_view_item&refwidgettype=osi_widget

I'm sure it's the dice :P

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:53 am 

What's going on here?  Has this seller been indexed?

The seller has several other items that I've seen with extortionist shipping charges.  Given the amount of these we've seen lately is there a problem going on or just greedy sellers?

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:06 pm 

Since this thread seems pretty active, I thought I'd add that it's always possible to report these sellers directly to eBay. The company takes a very dim view of sellers trying to circumvent end-of-auction fees.

To give eBay credit, the "report this item" feature appears on every eBay listing, and it is incredibly easy to use.

+++++

Just for reference purposes, here's eBay's views on excessive shipping charges.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:54 pm 

This guy is a piece of work:

I wouldnt mind paying about $40 for the item but it'll be a warm day in Jotunheim before I pay $40, or even the $20 for UPS Worldwide Express to have it shipped here.  :?  This is the same guy who has the OCE and supplements mentioned in the Interesting Items thread.

Bleh.... :x

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:44 am 

I happened to be reading through this seller's ad and came to the shipping charges:

Please contact me with your shipping address within three business days of end of auction as defined in eBay's guidelines. Shipping and handling fees are an additional $6.00. Auctions can be combined to reduce shipping and handling at the following rate:
First item: $6.00
Second item: $5.00
Third item: $4.00
subsequent items $3.00 each.

Note how it says that shipping and handling fees are an additional $6.  Does that mean the seller charges $6 plus an additional $6 handling fee?  Either way if you win 2 items from this seller the shipping charge is at least $11 for "standard shipping".

Finally, this made me laugh:

Winning bidder to pay by a U.S. POSTAL MONEY ORDER, only (one purchased at the Post Office). Unfortunately, I only have a personal PayPal account and cannot afford to pay their outrageously high fees, so under the rules eBay and PayPal have imposed, PayPal is no longer an optional payment method.

This seller may not like to pay high fees but he sure doesn't mind charging high fees :lol:

PreviousNext