List of sellers with exorbitant shipping/no combined ship
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 7:28 pm 

NetRodent wrote:
Looks like a normal 5th to me, 'though I don't have Deimos's image enhancement technology at my disposal.

The GK logo on the Men & Magic book appears to be almost cut off.  The other books look normal though.

Fwiw, a batch of the regular 5ths have badly guillotined M&Ms- you see them from time-to-time (possibly 1-in-5?): that's not the presumed 5A "variant", though (different cover cardstock, truncated GK logo on M&T and "cleaner" text inside without various wear points that appear on the regular 5th print).

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:11 pm 

faro wrote:
NetRodent wrote:
Looks like a normal 5th to me, 'though I don't have Deimos's image enhancement technology at my disposal.

The GK logo on the Men & Magic book appears to be almost cut off.  The other books look normal though.

Fwiw, a batch of the regular 5ths have badly guillotined M&Ms- you see them from time-to-time (possibly 1-in-5?): that's not the presumed 5A "variant", though (different cover cardstock, truncated GK logo on M&T and "cleaner" text inside without various wear points that appear on the regular 5th print).

"Deimos' image enhancement technology" -- pity it didn't have a better acronym or I'd patent it.   :)

Looks like just poor guillotining to me.  I can't see the important bit of the Vol 2 cover to positively say it's not a 5A.  The 5A generally has very good formatting, much straighter and cleaner than the 5th in all respects.  Perhaps Frank will let us know when he receives it.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:15 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
faro wrote:
NetRodent wrote:

"Deimos' image enhancement technology" -- pity it didn't have a better acronym or I'd patent it.   :)

Here's one for you D.I.E.T. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:15 am 

faro wrote:jetret ?

(Seller is also incapable of reading emails, it would appear, so the answer might be either "yes" or "no" for all I know! :))

Well it certainly doesn't seem that the no combined shipping put a clamp on anyones bids this time around:

Jetret's Closed Auctions

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:29 pm 

bombadil wrote:
bclarkie wrote:
bombadil wrote: Anyway, the PHB is not a T1st, if that's what you guys were interested in.

Stephen, do you what printing this actually is though, 1st, 2nd or 3rd?

The PHB is a 1st printing.  The whitey is a fifth, but a variant where the bottom of the GK logo is nearly cut off.  That's what caught my eye.

"Only" a first... Quite sure about that?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8765558151

Not sure where that "slight dimpling on cover" was, but at least the page count is more likely to be complete :?

(How many auctions were you underbidder in, Brian, btw? And did you expect to have to battle w/Shane? :P)

Overall prices slightly low to quite a bit high, IMO. So yes, no adverse impact, it would seem.

$103 for a punched 2nd WB&RM gets a smile from me, tho'; as does $34 for a later Swords & Spells- clean, but with a bashed corner.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:14 pm 

faro wrote:(How many auctions were you underbidder in, Brian, btw?

I think every auction that I bid on with the exception of the PHB one, and that one I finished third on. :roll:   Seems everyone around here is intent on saving me from myself............

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:37 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
faro wrote:(How many auctions were you underbidder in, Brian, btw?

I think every auction that I bid on with the exception of the PHB one, and that one I finished third on. :roll:   Seems everyone around here is intent on saving me from myself............

Gotta be cruel to be kind... :)

(Those Tac Cards went a tad cheaper than expected, phps: the chances of a set coming up with the face card but minus one or two others have to be pretty good).

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:49 pm 

How about this one?   $25 for PHB, UA and 10 modules/accessories...

http://cgi.ebay.com/dungeons-dragons-se ... dZViewItem

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 2:48 pm 

sheeadog wrote:How about this one?   $25 for PHB, UA and 10 modules/accessories...

It is coming from out of the country!!  What would it cost to send this lot from you to him.  Think about it!

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2006 4:56 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:
sheeadog wrote:How about this one?   $25 for PHB, UA and 10 modules/accessories...

It is coming from out of the country!!  What would it cost to send this lot from you to him.  Think about it!

J

That could be less.  (I don't have a scale handy, but I believe that entire lot would be less than 1kg/2.2 lbs.  I really must buy one at some point.)  

Small Packets (Air) to the U.S. should be $12.25 (Canadian).  Add a little more for a fancy Canada Post box.  Even less if you shipped it Small Packets (Surface), which still has reasonable delivery rates to the USA.

Alternatively, you could send in about four "over-sized" lettermail bubble mailers, for $1.79 (mailer) + 5.98 (postage 200-500g) x4 = $31.08 CDN, which works out to about $25 USD.

Personally, I like to flat rate stuff.  For this one, I'd quote $15-16 USD and call it a day.  Less within Canada, more outside North America.

That'll fit nicely if Small Packets (Air) if I'm right.  If miscalculated on the weight, which occurs occasionally, I can "cheat" and send it Small Packets (Surface), and not take too much of a hit on additional postage.  (This little trick doesn't work overseas, where surface mail takes forever.)  

Of course, if I overcharge significantly, I send out a Paypal refund.

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 12:36 pm 

Shipping . . . everyone is talking about shipping fees!  Badmike just mentioned on anther thread that people react strongly when they see $3.00 postage on a package they paid $10.00 shipping for.

I just wanted to point out (for those who don't know) that ebay/paypal is well aware of this.  That is why if you use the automatic label printing service (which I do) then you will find that you can purchase postage, print the label and choose to leave the postage amount "off" the label.  Thus, the receiver can not see how much postage cost!

I always try to override this when I print labels and display postage (after all, I have nothing to hide), however they even make showing NO POSTAGE  the default option and you have to manually override it every time (so often, I forget or am in a hurry and just breeze by).

So . . . if you want to overcharge that newbie by $12 and hope they think "Wow!  I never realized it cost so much to ship items!" then keep your postage hidden and no one is the wiser!  :wink:  

:D  :D  :D  :D

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:09 pm 

Beyondthebreach wrote:however they even make showing NO POSTAGE  the default option and you have to manually override it every time (so often, I forget or am in a hurry and just breeze by).

The default should actually be the other way around; it's the one thing about the Click-N-Ship process that's always left me a little bit mystified.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:17 pm 

faro wrote:
bombadil wrote:Anyway, the PHB is not a T1st, if that's what you guys were interested in.

Not sure where that "slight dimpling on cover" was, but at least the page count is more likely to be complete :?

This has been bugging me since the auction ended.

I asked the seller while it was still up whether the endpapers and flysheets were white or orange/yellow, and he responded that they were more of a reddish color.  As soon as it ended, I started thinking maybe he confused the MM with the PHB.  Maybe Paul will post when he gets it.  If it was a T1st, Paul got a nice one, I'm sure.  The MM has arrived, and it's a beaut.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:22 pm 

bombadil wrote:
faro wrote:
bombadil wrote:Anyway, the PHB is not a T1st, if that's what you guys were interested in.

This has been bugging me since the auction ended.

I asked the seller while it was still up whether the endpapers and flysheets were white or orange/yellow, and he responded that they were more of a reddish color.  As soon as it ended, I started thinking maybe he confused the MM with the PHB.  Maybe Paul will post when he gets it.  If it was a T1st, Paul got a nice one, I'm sure.  The MM has arrived, and it's a beaut.

Hey, I remembered this thread from way back.  Stormber won that auction as well, but it was from The Game Emporium (in the early stages before he was found out).  As I remember, it turned out to be orange when it arrived.

Red Flyleaf, 1st Edition Players Handbook?!?!?!?!?! • Collecting General •  The Acaeum

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:25 pm 

So is there a printing of the PHB with red flyleaves?

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:47 pm 

This one's utterly ridiculous....

** expired/removed eBay auction **

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:15 pm 

Was going to post, but Sheeadog beat me to it.

It makes me want to rip out someone's eyes when people are that greedy.

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:29 pm 

did anyone email them?  It might have been a simple listing error, he's using calculated shipping so if he mistakenly typed in say 66 pounds instead of 6 pounds (for example) it would have caused this huge rate to display and he might not have noticed. not defending the seller since I don't know them, but I've seen it happen before.  =)

PreviousNext