List of sellers with exorbitant shipping/no combined ship
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:10 am 

You know, when you're talking about shady dealers on Ebay, Tonya and Titan Games should not really be on the list.

1)  Yes, they gouge for shipping.  Granted.  But they state the shipping costs up front and even warn you to pay attention to them.  

2)  But...yes....they are reliable sellers.  They ship the goods ordered for the price designated.  If you have a beef with the results they encourage you to contact them and they promise to sort it out.  

3)  My transaction with Titan and my other transaction with Tonya both went very well.  I have no complaints.

Tonya and Titan charge too much for shipping.  Still, they do not seem to deserve some of the vitriol vented on them on the Acaeum.

Just my opinion.

Mark    8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:25 am 

But this isn't the shady dealers thread; this thread is called: "List of sellers with exorbitant shipping/no combined ship"

Tonya charges over $6 to send a four-ounce package via media mail. She absolutely belongs in this thread.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:39 am 

Not arguing about the shipping prices....although there are tricksters who are not nearly as up-front as Tonya or Titan.  They make it clear that they take a profit from shipping and they refuse to apologize for it.  I don't like it, but business is business.     :wink:

Mostly...I mildly object to some of the more extreme name calling.   :?

T & T must have thick skins by now, but still, some of it is a bit much.   :oops:

I have no idea why I am defending Tonya and Titan.  Maybe it is because oldsardul is a member here.   :?

Tonya's recent nasty Ebay feedback was not good public relations...but have they ever actually ripped someone off?     :?

Mark     8)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:17 am 

For the record, I defended Titan and its right to post here back when they were getting flamed without mercy:

viewtopic.php?t=3028&start=40

I just don't understand why a double-standard should apply. If I charged $6-plus to ship a module via media mail, I would be listed in this thread in a heartbeat — and deservedly so. And I'm thoroughly sick of the "I have to buy boxes and tape" bullshit, too. Hey, Tonya, it's called "the cost of doing business," honey.

+++++

As a separate subject, I wonder how much business the Titan/Tonya empire loses every year when people laugh hysterically at their shipping quotes? I used to order from Titan all the time, but now I can't imagine ever willingly grabbing my ankles like that ever again. It's been years since I bought anything RPG-related that didn't come from eBay or NobleKnight. Hell, Aaron's stock is better anyway ...

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 2:22 am 

BTW, I had to cover up your avatar before typing any of my responses. I feel ashamed to be debating a point with a guy who is smart enough to recognize the greatest action/adventure author of the 20th century. It felt like REH was looking right at me ... 8O

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:01 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:BTW, I had to cover up your avatar before typing any of my responses. I feel ashamed to be debating a point with a guy who is smart enough to recognize the greatest action/adventure author of the 20th century. It felt like REH was looking right at me ... 8O

:lol:  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

No doubt that shipping prices have cost both Tonya and Titan a lot of my business.  I see a lot of their items go the distance without attracting bids.

I tend to stay away from sellers who are obviously making money on postage.  I will only bid if I'm convinced there is no  other way...or that the price is likely to average out when it scares away other bidders.

REH lore is a hobby of mine.  I used to be a huge Lovecraft collector and fan as well...back before the Call of Cthulhu RPG came out and everyone got into the act.

The way I read REH's biography, I think he would have made one hell of a dungeon master.  RPG's might have saved his life.

I needed a suitable avatar...one that resembles me personally, and reflects my interests.  I know at least one other person has recognized his picture.  I wonder how many others here know REH on sight?  Thanks for noticing.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 8:30 am 

Damn.
I had no idea the was Robert E. Howard.

Hey Shipley....What's the name of REH's biography book?

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:14 am 

MShipley88 wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:BTW, I had to cover up your avatar before typing any of my responses. I feel ashamed to be debating a point with a guy who is smart enough to recognize the greatest action/adventure author of the 20th century. It felt like REH was looking right at me ... 8O

:lol:  :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

No doubt that shipping prices have cost both Tonya and Titan a lot of my business.  I see a lot of their items go the distance without attracting bids.

I tend to stay away from sellers who are obviously making money on postage.  I will only bid if I'm convinced there is no  other way...or that the price is likely to average out when it scares away other bidders.

REH lore is a hobby of mine.  I used to be a huge Lovecraft collector and fan as well...back before the Call of Cthulhu RPG came out and everyone got into the act.

The way I read REH's biography, I think he would have made one hell of a dungeon master.  RPG's might have saved his life.

I needed a suitable avatar...one that resembles me personally, and reflects my interests.  I know at least one other person has recognized his picture.  I wonder how many others here know REH on sight?  Thanks for noticing.

Heck. I always thought that was perhaps you and you were into the Noir or Vintage look or at least had a picture taken that way. Either way makes it cool though. Would have recognized a Lovecraft picture right away, though I am not sure I would want that look.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 11:52 am 

I gotta admit I thought the avatar was of Al Capone.   8O

Would have recognized Lovecraft though...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:01 pm 

re. REH; viewtopic.php?p=31669&highlight=#31669
Just me, then? :? Somewhat ironic, since I'm absolutely hopeless with faces and/or names, IRL.
Mshipley88 wrote:I have no idea why I am defending Tonya and Titan. Maybe it is because oldsardul is a member here.

Could be...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:56 pm 

Never occurred to me that people might not know who the picture was. I have every Conan paperback, every Mak Morn, Kull, you name it.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:19 pm 

jkason wrote:What's the name of REH's biography book?

You could be thinking of Dark Valley Destiny, by L. Sprague de Camp and others. A number of shorter, more scholarly biographies have also been written, but nothing that would ever make its way into Barnes & Noble.

Or you might be thinking of Post Oaks and Sand Roughs, REH's very thinly-disguised autobiographical novel. It was rejected (and rightfully so), although it has been published posthumously.

And, now, back to out thread ... uh ... let's see here. Shipping profiteers suck! Yeah! :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 3:33 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
jkason wrote:What's the name of REH's biography book?

You could be thinking of Dark Valley Destiny, by L. Sprague de Camp and others. A number of shorter, more scholarly biographies have also been written, but nothing that would ever make its way into Barnes & Noble.

Or you might be thinking of Post Oaks and Sand Roughs, REH's very thinly-disguised autobiographical novel. It was rejected (and rightfully so), although it has been published posthumously.

And, now, back to out thread ... uh ... let's see here. Shipping profiteers suck! Yeah! :)

There is also a really good memoir about REH by Novalyne Price.  She was (probably) the one love of his life aside from his mother.   :?

It is called The Whole Wide World.  The book is available online and it was made into a movie about 10 years ago.  Renee Zellwiger (sp?) as Novalyne Price and Vicent D'Orfino (sp?) as REH.

I think she may have known REH better than any other person.

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:11 am 

bombadil wrote: Anyway, the PHB is not a T1st, if that's what you guys were interested in.  Seller has been quite thorough and cordial in their responses to my inquiries.

That whitey certainly does look interesting, doesn't it?

Stephen, do you what printing this actually is though, 1st, 2nd or 3rd?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 10:49 am 

Sellers with high shipping don't realize they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Almost any experienced eBayer has an idea of how much they're willing to pay.  If shipping is too high, guess what?  They subtract the excess shipping from their high bid, and bid accordingly.

I know, you're probably thinking, "Big deal, I get the sum of that money anyway".  But you don't!  You get the sum of the 2nd bidder's high bid, plus one increment (at most), plus your crazy shipping fee.  And that's it.  You can't afford to lose those "losing" bidders.  They are often keen to drive up the auction price.

The more you force the 2nd/3rd/4th/etc. bidders (often international sellers) to trim/drop their bids, the less pressure they put on the higher bids.  You get less frequent "bidding wars", which are the mother lode in eBay selling.  Think about it.  :wink:

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:14 pm 

And keep in mind, once a person has mentally marked a seller as having high shipping, they will be less likely to bid on their items in the future.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:17 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
bombadil wrote: Anyway, the PHB is not a T1st, if that's what you guys were interested in.  Seller has been quite thorough and cordial in their responses to my inquiries.

That whitey certainly does look interesting, doesn't it?

Stephen, do you what printing this actually is though, 1st, 2nd or 3rd?

The PHB is a 1st printing.  The whitey is a fifth, but a variant where the bottom of the GK logo is nearly cut off.  That's what caught my eye.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:19 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:     There is also a really good memoir about REH by Novalyne Price.  She was (probably) the one love of his life aside from his mother.   :?

It is called The Whole Wide World.  The book is available online and it was made into a movie about 10 years ago.  Renee Zellwiger (sp?) as Novalyne Price and Vicent D'Orfino (sp?) as REH.

I think she may have known REH better than any other person.

Mark   8)

My favorite REH story is "Red Blades of Black Cathay"...man, that's a fricken' great story.

PreviousNext