Hmmm, more fraud.  How about a 2nd chance offer on Lost Tamo
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:28 pm 

Don't worry, Burnie, our environment will peter out long before the dollar. I go out turtle hunting every year during the spring and summer, and the damage is absolutely unbelievable. Far, far worse than anyone lets on. Three cheers for MTBE!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:37 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote: <snip>I go out turtle hunting every year

As in hunting to eat or to catch for captivity?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:44 pm 

burntwire brothers wrote:The US economy and dollar have been in a slow death spiral for a few years now thanks to the oil assbags running our country. With huge companies like GM and Ford having serious problems I'm getting really nervous. 8O

Those Oil assbags have done wonders for the Economy out here in Western Canada!  The folks out in Eastern Canada are havings problems with there auto sector as well.  You would think that people are buying cars more than ever now :?

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:50 pm 

It's disheartening to see how quickly so many aspects of life in the US have gone down the tubes in the past few years, but you've got to have hope that they can turn around again.  The bad thing is, of course, it always takes longer to put things back together than it does to break them.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:03 pm 

Hunting for captivity. I breed endangered ones. Every year I have to release the last year's babies and get new blood adults, to prevent inbreeding.
I'll tell you how bad it is. Amphibians (frogs, salamanders) are easily affected by environmental changes and pollutants. Every year they have been less and less common. I spent at least 150 hours out in the swapms, rivers, ponds etc. last year, and I saw perhaps 100 frogs total, as opposed to thousands years ago.
Bad times be a'coming.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:39 pm 

bombadil wrote:It's disheartening to see how quickly so many aspects of life in the US have gone down the tubes in the past few years, but you've got to have hope that they can turn around again.

Deadlord39 wrote:Bad times be a'coming.

Well, the guy to read for inspiration here is Edward Abbey and the book: The Monkey Wrench Gang.  :D

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:57 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Hunting for captivity. I breed endangered ones. Every year I have to release the last year's babies and get new blood adults, to prevent inbreeding.

Small world after all......any of them happen to be Clemmys guttata ? on average I release about  12 to 18 babies back into cedar swamps and vernal areas in southern Mass. Last August I released all my females and males ( except 1 male who I have had for 15 years now ) back into the wild to start from scratch again. May start with Northern Woods  this time.....going to hopefully build a whole new breeding setup this year in my basement with a basking pond outside.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:04 pm 

I'll be damned. Clemmys Gutttata is my focus. I have 2 adult NA woods, one a gift from Louisiana and one that was a car hit that I managed to save. We DEFINITELY should get together sometime!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:05 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Hunting for captivity. I breed endangered ones. Every year I have to release the last year's babies and get new blood adults, to prevent inbreeding.
I'll tell you how bad it is. Amphibians (frogs, salamanders) are easily affected by environmental changes and pollutants. Every year they have been less and less common. I spent at least 150 hours out in the swapms, rivers, ponds etc. last year, and I saw perhaps 100 frogs total, as opposed to thousands years ago.
Bad times be a'coming.

Observing the decline in frogs myself over the past few years I have been doing some looking for information on it, with little success, until recently:

From NPR:

"A study in the journal Nature has linked widespread frog extinctions in Central and South America to a fungal epidemic triggered by increasing temperatures. Frog species began disappearing from the region in the late 1980s."

Here's another more detailed explanation of the theory:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4257232.stm

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:27 pm 

Yep, I'm sure if you dug deeper, you'd find that oil companies directly or indirectly funded the "research".
I've seen no evidence of Fungal Frogs from Hell. Just pollution.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:42 pm 

Wow, what the hell happened here?  DId this thread go OT or what? 8O  :lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:00 pm 

No, I was about to expound on how I found a mint Tamoachan in the grass last year while I was out.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:16 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:No, I was about to expound on how I found a mint Tamoachan in the grass last year while I was out.

Another fer-de-lance*, no doubt...? Topically tropical :)
(*As opposed to the lance-de-chemin-de-fer on that other thread ;))

Heh. And the former is venomous, whilst the latter merely attracts venom... ^^

=
[*g*. Any danger of me rambling back ON topic here?]

*slaps self with wet phish*

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:59 pm 

Hey now, no comments from non-Sage Collectors, if you please!
Actually, David, could you let everyone know when Tamo arrives? Either one............ I'm glad you finally got one! Inverness next, right?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:44 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:Hey now, no comments from non-Sage Collectors, if you please!
Actually, David, could you let everyone know when Tamo arrives? Either one............ I'm glad you finally got one! Inverness next, right?

Will certainly be looking forward to their safe arrival, Frank.

I might file the better of the two (VF/NM?) under "trade bait", but will see...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:59 pm 

I thought that the frogs were fairly interesting.  Genius cannot be expected to limit itself to only one topic at a time.

"Here's to the great ones!  There's damn few of us left!"

Mark   :lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Previous