Username Changes
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 5:58 pm 

I dont think its a shill or someone here.  The guy is just a moron, who at this point hasn't figured out the proxy bidding system:

http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 6605596976

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:06 pm 

I should read the forums from the top down. I put my 2c worth in the non-TSR forum on this topic, and didn't realise the discussion had jumped over here.

Somebody send me a PM when that happens... I'm slow on the uptake.

Regards

Mike

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:07 pm 

the scary thing is, i am still half-tempted to bid :)

good job i cant afford it :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 6:08 pm 

mdr003 wrote:I should read the forums from the top down. I put my 2c worth in the non-TSR forum on this topic, and didn't realise the discussion had jumped over here.

Somebody send me a PM when that happens... I'm slow on the uptake.

Regards

Mike

mike

that must be an oz thing :)

Al

ps. i got a msg from a lad in oz who is doing the same marathon as me - hes gonna meet me at base camp and say hello! how cool is that or what? :)

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 7:50 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:the scary thing is, i am still half-tempted to bid :)

Al

Well, I hope I didn't screw it up for you, Al.  I was gonna go all the way on it, but got cold feet in the last couple of hours.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:51 pm 

Whatever the case may be with jimshiller1, I'm not getting into a max bid war with anyone, noobie or not. There will be another Vial. And another.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:52 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I dont think its a shill or someone here.  The guy is just a moron, who at this point hasn't figured out the proxy bidding system:

Yes and no.  This looks remarkably similar to the crazy wild jumping that gazelles do to deter lions from going for them specifically in a herd.  Overbidding yourself multiple times is intended as a symbol of virility, i.e. "Don't mess with me, I'm going to win this no matter what."  

Either that or he's a moron.  But my version gets a nature scene in there. :)

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:05 am 

bombadil wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:the scary thing is, i am still half-tempted to bid :)

Al

Well, I hope I didn't screw it up for you, Al.  I was gonna go all the way on it, but got cold feet in the last couple of hours.

hey no stephen dont worry about it. am not really that bothered one way or the other atm anyway. think the guy was in it for a big bid anyway and he won the items in the end.

well they are the first i have seen on ebay, so god knows how long before they appear again!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:02 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
bclarkie wrote:I dont think its a shill or someone here.  The guy is just a moron, who at this point hasn't figured out the proxy bidding system:

Yes and no.  This looks remarkably similar to the crazy wild jumping that gazelles do to deter lions from going for them specifically in a herd.  Overbidding yourself multiple times is intended as a symbol of virility, i.e. "Don't mess with me, I'm going to win this no matter what."  

Either that or he's a moron.  But my version gets a nature scene in there. :)

Hmmm!  I didn't know about that tactic.  It might be a good idea amongst the little dogs (like me) who are scrabbling about for crumbs far  away from the big item collectors.   :twisted:

I usually take into account whether or not someone else has placed a bid...it did not occur to me to overbid myself....sort of like puffing up my fur to make myself look larger!   :?

Thanks for the tip!   :wink:

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:26 am 

killjoy32 wrote:well they are the first i have seen on ebay, so god knows how long before they appear again!

Al

Likewise.  I've never seen #1 or #2 on ebay before, nor in any of the online rpg stores.  Could be a long while before we get another shot at them.  I sure would like to land a couple of those Mo-Fos.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:39 am 

MShipley88 wrote:I usually take into account whether or not someone else has placed a bid...it did not occur to me to overbid myself....sort of like puffing up my fur to make myself look larger!   :?

On the other hand...overbidding yourself after someone's taken a failed attempt your high bid is a definite sign of weakness.  It gives the impression they got close, and you're not as invincible as you appear.  

None of these tactics work if your opponent actually has money and is willing to use it, but they sometimes help in the "little leagues".

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:29 pm 

bombadil wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:well they are the first i have seen on ebay, so god knows how long before they appear again!

Al

Likewise.  I've never seen #1 or #2 on ebay before, nor in any of the online rpg stores.  Could be a long while before we get another shot at them.  I sure would like to land a couple of those Mo-Fos.

yeah i can imagine there is gonna be some fight next time around :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:38 pm 

I've overbid myself before, well it worked in an odd way..
Back before I got the snipe down to my liking, I'd bid 2-3 times in the last minute, but it was my first time trying it that well kept me doing that for some time after. It was on a large RuneQuest lot, I had bid, let a few seconds tick away, then bid again..but ebay prompted my screen saying I needed to bid $X which I think I did or put just a few cents more. I won it that way.
Now I'm not sure if Ebay still does that or it would work again in that situation.
I think the record for overbidding goes to David, when he was testing out the .01 bid increments and time it took for them.

ShaneG.

Previous