A synopsis of various modules?
Author

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:12 pm 

Is there someplace one can look into a barebones synopsis of what different modules are about? I find increasingly such a tool would be priceless when deciding what holes to fill ahead of time, especially for modules one has never seen or played before. Something along the lines of - "Module Xx is a widely enjoyed adventure that takes place in a bog where the players must find a hidden jewel with magical powers before a race of giant spiders finds it first. A classic." And so on...

Does anything like this exist?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:28 pm 

You might want to check out this site:

http://home.flash.net/~brenfrow/

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 6:34 pm 

Try the Reviews section of the Forums over at Dragonsfoot. They've got a bunch of module reviews up and are working on more. Most of the reviews I've seen include a synopsis:

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=38

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 4:58 am 

(edit - after doing another search now that I know this book exists I see others here have as well, I am suprised others didn't mention it. See http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1525&highlight=lawrence+schick among others. I leave this here, but clearly this book rocks!!)

I found it!!

I got a used book today printed in 1991 (so it covers everything we like up to the start of AD&D 2nd ed - perfect!!) called "Heroic Worlds - A History and Guide to Role-Playing Games" by Lawrence Schick. The book is huge, 448 pages long, and it covers in rather complete details a capsule overview/review of (from my initial study) nearly every RPG rule system, rule book, module, adventure, add-on, etc! And I don't mean a review of "all of the D&D system" I mean a review of each product issued for it! I went to the sections on D&D and AD&D and saw everything I know listed, and for each module a nice capsule was provided. This is exactly what I wanted. Gives brief printing info although nothing like here and some info is outdated I am sure, but the basics are there and the capule review itself is critical.

Going to the section on XL1 I find the following helpful info:

XL1, Quest for the Heartstone
Michael L. Gray, art by Jeff Easley
Laughable scenario for character levels 5-10 designed for use with the LJN and TSR toy D&D characters ("Stongheart," "Warduke," et al.); includes statistics for all the toy figures. It's a wilderness and dungeon scenario, with a frost giants' lair and four pages of illustrations to show the player.
230-950.1/900-84. 32 pp., outer folder. TSR, 1984.

The numbers at the end are in reference to some charts at the end of the book.

What a great resource!! Exactly what I and others have been looking for. Every module I looked up gave a nice capsule of what the contents were.

If you can find a copy, I highly recommend you do so.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 11:38 am 

jpipes wrote:(edit - after doing another search now that I know this book exists I see others here have as well, I am suprised others didn't mention it. See http://www.acaeum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1525&highlight=lawrence+schick among others. I leave this here, but clearly this book rocks!!)

I found it!!

I got a used book today printed in 1991 (so it covers everything we like up to the start of AD&D 2nd ed - perfect!!) called "Heroic Worlds - A History and Guide to Role-Playing Games" by Lawrence Schick. The book is huge, 448 pages long, and it covers in rather complete details a capsule overview/review of (from my initial study) nearly every RPG rule system, rule book, module, adventure, add-on, etc! And I don't mean a review of "all of the D&D system" I mean a review of each product issued for it! I went to the sections on D&D and AD&D and saw everything I know listed, and for each module a nice capsule was provided. This is exactly what I wanted. Gives brief printing info although nothing like here and some info is outdated I am sure, but the basics are there and the capule review itself is critical.

Going to the section on XL1 I find the following helpful info:

XL1, Quest for the Heartstone
Michael L. Gray, art by Jeff Easley
Laughable scenario for character levels 5-10 designed for use with the LJN and TSR toy D&D characters ("Stongheart," "Warduke," et al.); includes statistics for all the toy figures. It's a wilderness and dungeon scenario, with a frost giants' lair and four pages of illustrations to show the player.
230-950.1/900-84. 32 pp., outer folder. TSR, 1984.

The numbers at the end are in reference to some charts at the end of the book.

What a great resource!! Exactly what I and others have been looking for. Every module I looked up gave a nice capsule of what the contents were.

If you can find a copy, I highly recommend you do so.

Heroic Worlds is the Bible for RPG collectors. I don't see how anyone can refer to themselves as a "serious" collector and not have at least one copy. I have a hardback for home use and one of the softback versions for taking on trips or use in my storage shed.  Both are heavily used and annotated.  I credit this book with feeding my collecting jones by listing all those hundreds and hundreds of cool rpg modules I had never heard of...!

Mike B .

"THE MORE YOU THINK ABOUT WHY i DONE WHAT i DONE THE MORE i LAUGH" Cougar
"The Acaeum hates fun" Sir Allen
"I had a collecting emergency" Nogrod
Co-founder of the North Texas RPG Con
http://www.ntrpgcon.com

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon May 15, 2006 8:15 pm 

Great recommendation.  Just ordered one off Amazon.ca

Gary H. Kramer

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:20 am 

Heroic Worlds is fun.  It needs a rewrite and update.

Also, it is a bit spare when describing non-TSR products.

It is often available used from Alibris or Amazson.

If anyone reading this has not already looked for this book, go to www.bookfinder.com  This is a data base of books for sale from a large number of online sellers.  I have even used it to go to the original bookshop and then find the very same copy listed by that seller on Amazon...at a huge discount in shipping.

www.bookfinder.com

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 1:59 am 

MShipley88 wrote:It needs a rewrite and update.

Desperately. And, for the love of all that is holy, a better indexing system (maybe one that recognizes the actual existence of stock numbers).

Still, a very noble effort and a great value. I've lost count of how many times I've used it for research tidbits.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 4:13 am 

For Judges Guild items it is crap..everything else its hit and miss. It is a good comprehensive list though so it has value as that.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:33 am 

Plaag wrote:For Judges Guild items it is crap..everything else its hit and miss. It is a good comprehensive list though so it has value as that.

ShaneG.

Got mine about a year ago. I read it cover to cover over the next week.

It does need a rewrite. But talk about time investment. 8O

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/