Crown jewel of your collection...
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:13 pm 

I have three items I treasure:
I have a never reprinted short story by Gary Gygax, "The Expedition Into the Black Reservoir", published in a very small fanzine The Conquistador in 1975.  I believe it to be the first every published tale taking place in the World of Greyhawk.  It is possibly a unique copy since the fanzine was such a small press and I've never heard of another copy (even Gary dosn't have one; he gave his copy away several years ago to WOTC and no one knows where it went from there)
  I really treasure this because it was found completely by accident ( I bought a large stack of old, used fanzines from a bookstore for a buck each many years ago), it sat for several years before I realized what I had (I finally got around to reading the fanzines and found the story), and I was able to have a back and forth with Gary about the story which was very illuminating and really cool.  He had forgotten he had written it until I sent him a copy over email, and having him go through the process of remembering was very interesting.  The fact it's possibly unique is just very, very cool since I've never actively sought out any rares or 5's on Ebay or anywhere else, I'm really a tightwad at heart, so this is probably the only really hard to find item I will ever own. Plus the fact that there is probably not another copy, and I actually have something that no one else in the Acaeum has!  
  The original sketch by Roslof I got of my original D&D party in the scene from the cover of Q1, well, I look at it everyday, and I will always treasure this.  It's great because it's something I can share with my original gaming group also, reminds me I still have to get copies made for my buddies!
    I still have the original character sheets for the very first party my group ever rolled up. They are on the old green character sheets from the pull off pads, are complete with illustrations and comments, and just very nostalgic to handle these and look them over. The characters are still active in occasional play, just thinking about the fact they are almost 30 years old is mindboggling....who would have thought we'd still be playing this game in 2006?

Mike B.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:07 pm 

By the way, anyone reading this who doesn't know, you can read "Expedition into the Black Reservoir" on Grodog's website, courtesy of Badmike:

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/grodog/gh ... voir1.html

I read it before but didn't realize it was Badmike who found it!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:51 pm 

For Dungeons & Dragons, I don't have any real scarcities.  Perhaps the closest to scarce is my True 1st DDG, and that really isn't all that scarce.  Now, if you don't limit me to D&D, the three things I'm perhaps most proud of are:
  • Warriors of Mars - condition is poor due to water damage on the back cover and the last five pages, but still totally readable and usable.  A lucky find for me.
  • Dune: Chronicles of the Imperium
  • The Traveller Book with its dustjacket still present.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 10:56 pm 

My PHB that I bought new in 1978 is number 1 followed closely by my Holmes set and M&T set II.

The Holmes set was the first thing I ever bought for gaming. I picked up my PHB a few weeks later and the M&T a few weeks after that. I used the M&T to make my first dungeon ever - a fourth level dungeon crawl through a Egyptian-style pyramid temple ruin. I even drew pictures ala Tomb of Horrors!

Now, I love my three tourney mods, but I just don't have the same connection even though I am the original owner of each.

My other jewels are first print Star Fleet Battles pocket game, Tobruk by Avalon Hill Origins special edition release signed wiith special seal, and lastly my Escape From New York game which we used to close out almost 20 Gen Cons in a row!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:37 pm 

Great Thread…

How's it going gang… :)

It's been a while, hurricane Wilma tore 25% of the roof off the new game hall, and destroyed the electrical system, leaving us without power for a sustained period of time…

Fortunately, the collection was unharmed and the irreplaceable treasures were securely tucked away.

It did dampen sprits and there has been a long road to recovery. But, we've actually been sort of back up and running for almost two months now with revamped fire. We're going to be setting up the Dwarven Forge display booth at this year's Gen Con for their 10th anniversary.

So get ready for a miniature display beyond imagination, as we're pulling together severely of the top gaming crews from around the world to lend their talents.

Looking foward to meeting some of the Acaeum members also! So stop on by...

As far as the question titling this thread, I'd say our Crown Jewel would be the actual TSR company sign, or Rob Kuntz's original gaming dice used in the first D&D games ever played…

I've missed everyone and hope to be back posting regularly. Check us out over at the Dwarven Forge Forums if you're interested in miniatures and setups as well.

Mike

"Its either a wand to cast Bigby's Hand spells or a +3 backscratcher. We're not sure which."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:40 pm 

Welcome back, Mike, and good to hear from you.

I'd say those dice are the crown jewels of ALL collections that I've seen so far!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:43 am 

bbarsh wrote:and lastly my Escape From New York game which we used to close out almost 20 Gen Cons in a row!

That's a great memory to have!

Ditto on Mike's jewels...

Active Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:48 am 

:? I have a very small collection. But this is my favorite. The Dragon is 3.25"tall and nearly as wide, and 4" from paw to curled tail. I have had it for 20+ years. Which did brother Dave [DCSIII] paint first -- the mini or the game box? :?:

[/img]

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:51 am 

Here are pics of the TSR D&D 10th Anniversary Chalice:

But most sentimental item would be my old character sheets; worthless to everybody else but priceless to me.   :) [/url]

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:22 am 

Shame on me for forgetting them!  My original dice of course (not the bagged ones)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:11 am 

The dice in my original Holmes set are so worn the d20 basically will roll forever until its manually stopped.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:12 pm 

My #1 is definitely a nostalgic piece. Three blue battered dice left over from my basic set. The other three are in Valhalla, with the valkyries attending their every need.

As far as rare items as decreed by the Acaeum....huh....that would be:

DL1!  No! Wait! DL 2! (Hey, I was excited when I got them....)

Naw, In all seriousness, I think my GW set and Mentzer UK book...it's funky. And I LIKE my fighting wheel, dammit!

Bree-Yark!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:20 pm 

I don't have any jewels as such - if I had managed to keep any of my character sheets from 25 years ago they would qualify, but the only items I kept from the heyday was a DMG and MM.

The pieces I like best in my collection are a copy of Space Gamer #1, a Guidon Chainmail, and the original manuscript for the Snits Revenge game.

Hopefully I'll add more gems over the next few years....

Regards

Mike

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:29 am 

mdr003 wrote:The pieces I like best in my collection are a copy of Space Gamer #1, a Guidon Chainmail, and the original manuscript for the Snits Revenge game.

Someone's got excellent taste, IMO! :D

You'll have to remind me whether I ended up as underbidder on the Wham ms., too, but I certainly was on the others (hidden 2nd Chainmail! *g*).

Ben Ostrander was particularly keen to hold on to his other SG #1, it seemed... :)

Great to hear you're enjoying having those, Mike.

(aside: What about http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6007124779 , btw?)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 4:46 pm 

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6007124779

Wow, maybe I should riot, or at least withdraw my ambassador.   :roll:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:00 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6007124779
Wow, maybe I should riot, or at least withdraw my ambassador.   :roll:

*g*. Yup, neat cartoon cover, too; http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/41346 :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:11 pm 

faro wrote:
mdr003 wrote:The pieces I like best in my collection are a copy of Space Gamer #1, a Guidon Chainmail, and the original manuscript for the Snits Revenge game.

Someone's got excellent taste, IMO! :D

You'll have to remind me whether I ended up as underbidder on the Wham ms., too, but I certainly was on the others (hidden 2nd Chainmail! *g*).
Ben Ostrander was particularly keen to hold on to his other SG #1, it seemed... :)

Great to hear you're enjoying having those, Mike.

(aside: What about http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 6007124779 , btw?)

Can't remember if you were underbidder David - it's definately possible, we seem to end up under-bidder to each other rather often.

Are you still after a copy of that game?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... %3AIT&rd=1

Free UK postage no less.

Regards

Mike

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 5:17 pm 

mdr003 wrote:Can't remember if you were underbidder David - it's definately possible, we seem to end up under-bidder to each other rather often.

;)
mdr003 wrote:Are you still after a copy of that game?
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... %3AIT&rd=1
Free UK postage no less.

Wow! Synchronicity indeed. :P

Thanks, Mike!

It's not in my regular search pattern (such as I have one of those).

PreviousNext