CM9 Legacy of Blood
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:57 am 

I have had a hard time collecting this module.  Is it really a "2" on the rarity scale?  I'm thinking more of a "3".  Am I out of my mind? or Am I a lousy ebay hunter? (the answer is yes! in light of recent acquision of a Vampire Queen being bought for $2) or Did I just hit a dry period for this module?

Martin

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 am 

I think Legacy of Blood should be a 3 (at least if Night's Dark Terror and Vecna Lives are 3's).  Prices for this module are getting very high - expect to pay $25 -$40 for a nice one.

Check out this one that I sold recently - this is perhaps the worst condition module that I have ever listed.  (even the stuff I give away for free is usually  much better than this).

But it sold for $6.71, had 3 different bidders and at least 5 watchers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8749773671

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:49 am 

Yeah, I remember seeing your auction and passing right on by.  Tough condition.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:53 am 

It's one I'm missing as well but haven't been searching for. After reading your post, I looked around and I did find it scarce.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:20 pm 

For sure I think it should be a "3". I'm always on the look out for this one. "CM9" and "Legacy of Blood" are amongst my regular searches. Here's my most recent sale of one in average condition...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8751728227

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:11 pm 

I will say I did like Katherine Kerr's early fantasy novels (can't recall the titles, but am sure if I Googled her name they'd pop up). Have not run the module, but I did like what I read of it.

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:29 pm 

seeyouinescrow wrote:For sure I think it should be a "3". I'm always on the look out for this one. "CM9" and "Legacy of Blood" are amongst my regular searches. Here's my most recent sale of one in average condition...

I have to disagree, I think CM9 (and Vecna Lives, and Night's Dark Terror) are "2".  At least compared with a typical OD&D supplement, which are "3".

They appear frequently on eBay, but try finding one in a local store and compare.  I'm quite sure I could pick up a CM9 any given day without going online, but no chance on the OD&D supplement at all.

(I'm assuming the rating scale refers to find an item at all, not finding one in a specific grade.  NM is at least a point higher.)

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:38 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
seeyouinescrow wrote:For sure I think it should be a "3". I'm always on the look out for this one. "CM9" and "Legacy of Blood" are amongst my regular searches. Here's my most recent sale of one in average condition...

I have to disagree, I think CM9 (and Vecna Lives, and Night's Dark Terror) are "2". At least compared with a typical OD&D supplement, which are "3".

They appear frequently on eBay, but try finding one in a local store and compare. I'm quite sure I could pick up a CM9 any given day without going online, but no chance on the OD&D supplement at all.

(I'm assuming the rating scale refers to find an item at all, not finding one in a specific grade. NM is at least a point higher.)

Fair enough . . . . let's call 'em a 2.5.  :D   However, I'm calling RS1 Red Sonja Unconquered a 3 and I'm sticking to it!

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:06 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:I'm quite sure I could pick up a CM9 any given day without going online, but no chance on the OD&D supplement at all.

Toronto must have some pretty amazing gaming/used book stores.  Its darn near impossible to find anything pre-2nd edition in Montreal.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:23 pm 

NetRodent wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:I'm quite sure I could pick up a CM9 any given day without going online, but no chance on the OD&D supplement at all.

Toronto must have some pretty amazing gaming/used book stores. Its darn near impossible to find anything pre-2nd edition in Montreal.

I didn't say they were reasonably priced or in good condition. ;)  They'll sit there indefinitely, I'm sure.  Our gaming stores are quite pathetic.  Just in case I'm delusional on this one, I'll take a look next week.

YIM  

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 5:06 pm 

NetRodent wrote:

Toronto must have some pretty amazing gaming/used book stores. Its darn near impossible to find anything pre-2nd edition in Montreal.

Ditto that. I spend way too much time in the used book stores and game stores here in Columbus and I have not seen it here for a long time. It is possible that hosting Origins makes for some cherry picking by other locals to sell there but I get enough other good stuff to make me wonder about them being common.

Information Superhighway - A Rough Whimper of Insanity - Scott Hansen

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:39 pm 

FWIW, I am of the opinion that CM9 should also be a 3. Pesonally I think it is harder to find than B9, B10, & WGA4.  I am sitting on about 20 supps right now(about 3 of each), but I only have 2 CM9s.

As far as RS1 goes it is also harder to find, although I actually had a stack of 7 all unopened that I have sold off 5 a month or so ago, and I will be selling the 6th very shrotly. :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:07 pm 

bclarkie wrote:FWIW, I am of the opinion that CM9 should also be a 3. Pesonally I think it is harder to find than B9, B10, & WGA4. I am sitting on about 20 supps right now(about 3 of each), but I only have 2 CM9s.

20 1st prints?

(Judging rarity by personal stock is a risky pastime! ;))

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:12 pm 

faro wrote:
bclarkie wrote:FWIW, I am of the opinion that CM9 should also be a 3. Pesonally I think it is harder to find than B9, B10, & WGA4. I am sitting on about 20 supps right now(about 3 of each), but I only have 2 CM9s.

20 1st prints?

(Judging rarity by personal stock is a risky pastime! ;))

Not 20 1st prints, only 4 or 5 of those. :wink:  But seriously, I think I have only had 4 maybe 5 CM9s in my posesion in my life where as I have had a lot more of each type up supp.  Obviously thats not exactly a scientific approach to rarity, but when you look at the fact that I do not descriminate when I buy stuff, other than condition, it does mean a little bit. :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:23 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Not 20 1st prints

*g* sorry! ;)

=

People can see supps selling for $$$, thus they do so. And they're old, so that must mean even more $$$
Plus they tend to go with those brown/white boxes, too. Sell one of those for $$$ and the supps go, too.

CM9 is a far less obvious item for people to sell.

JM-02-c; but yes, even factoring in all of that, I know what you mean Brian...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:33 pm 

I don't think that the Toronto gaming stores are quite that well stocked - unless you know a few that I don't.  Which is totally possible since I don't get to Toronto so often.  But places like HairyT and Grey Region tend to have a fair bit of common stock but when it comes to getting anything remotely rare, they are still hard to find.  I've been through the boxes several times at these two places.  And as Deimos pointed out, if either of these places has something remotely rare it would probably cost around double Ebay prices at least.  Grey Region wants $25 for a copy of X1 or B2 and must think they are sitting on a gold mine since they have 20 copies of each.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:22 pm 

My records show I sold two and only two last year. The first was in terrible shape and still went for $9.99 (BIN, might have gone for more in a straight auction?).  The second sold in December for $53.79, it was mint in the original SW. Still, a nice price since a lot of supposedly "rare" stuff doesn't even go for that much.  I think it's pretty hard to find.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 12:01 pm 

Mars wrote:Grey Region wants $25 for a copy of X1 or B2 and must think they are sitting on a gold mine since they have 20 copies of each.

That's nuts.  Selection may be poor in Montreal, but prices are much better.  The two gaming stores that carry used RGPs tend to price books/modules at about 1/2 off the cover price (depending on condition).  The one used bookstore that carries used RPGs has no idea about rarity and prices soley by age (older being cheaper) and condition.  Generally they do $2.95 for modules, $3.95 for softcovers, $5.95 for hardcovers and $6.95 for boxed sets, of course they only get stuff in every month or two.

Next