Twenty Years of TSR
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 21, 2
Author


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5611
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 14, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:07 pm 
 

But TSR World, et al, were actually public documents (although I don't think that the Strategic Previews were, right?).  OTOH, the RPGA prepubs weren't really public documents, either (nor were any RPGA items, in the sense the you couldn't get them without being an RPGA member).

Hmmm.


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 210
Joined: Nov 20, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 25, 2018
Location: Northeast

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:23 pm 
 

grodog wrote:But TSR World, et al, were actually public documents (although I don't think that the Strategic Previews were, right?). OTOH, the RPGA prepubs weren't really public documents, either (nor were any RPGA items, in the sense the you couldn't get them without being an RPGA member).

Hmmm.


While I personally believe it's a "category 5 caliber" rare, I don't know if I would include it on the rares list solely becuase it was a TSR employee only item that wasn't sold or available publicly.  That doesn't make it any more/less rare as other items on the rares list of course.  The RPGA stuff was available publicly if you sought membership, were on the mailing list, etc.

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 753
Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 18, 2020

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:47 pm 
 

Howdy Jeff,

The Strategic Preview was also for employees, wasn't it?

Futures Bright,

Paul


The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:29 pm 
 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy Jeff,
The Strategic Preview was also for employees, wasn't it?

Mailed to the public.

I had a scan of the mailing label in context, but have lost that somewhere...

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:51 pm 
 

Let's see if I have this right...
grodog wrote:OTOH, the RPGA prepubs weren't really public documents, either (nor were any RPGA items, in the sense the you couldn't get them without being an RPGA member).

The R & RPGA mods were available to the general public, as well as RPGA members - although I'd've thought being sold to the public (RPGA member or otherwise) would suffice.

Those pre-pubs were all sold to the public, or at least given away in a public context(??): compare with Jade Hare coverless as a freebie in exchange for a card in the boxed set still comprising a transaction, whereas neither the covered Jade Hare nor Twenty Years of TSR was released thus, afaik.

The freebie Your Personal Invitation to Adventure is in the listing as are some of the other newsletters; all understood to have been "given away to the public (or subset thereof)" at the least.

TSR Spotlight (poss. available free of charge?) and TSR Worlds I don't know about, although the TSR-UK Hobby Newsletter should be listed, IMHO, if anyone can ever find a copy!

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:06 pm 
 

faro wrote:although the TSR-UK Hobby Newsletter should be listed, IMHO, if anyone can ever find a copy!

My contact proved negative (so far).

  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:31 pm 
 

johnhuck wrote:
faro wrote:although the TSR-UK Hobby Newsletter should be listed, IMHO, if anyone can ever find a copy!

My contact proved negative (so far).

:( Thanks for asking, John.

Going to have to hope some eventually turn up in a GW Basic Set, or something like that...

  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 753
Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Last Visit: Jun 18, 2020

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:26 pm 
 

Howdy,


Well dagnabit! The Spanish bidder tauglorimorgorus withdrew his $80 bid on this. The reason: "La cantidad introducida no es válida". What the heck is that supposed to mean? Was he offended by my mention of the Oscar Meyer "Orc Bacon"? :P

I think it means, "I entered the wrong amount".


Futures Bright,

Paul


The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6463
Joined: Dec 13, 2004
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2019

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 6:35 pm 
 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy,


Well dagnabit! The Spanish bidder tauglorimorgorus withdrew his $80 bid on this. The reason: "La cantidad introducida no es válida". What the heck is that supposed to mean? Was he offended by my mention of the Oscar Meyer "Orc Bacon"? :P

I think it means, "I entered the wrong amount".


Futures Bright,

Paul


Seems like thats it, although a direct translation through here:

http://www.freetranslation.com/

says "The quantity introduced is not valid". :wink:

Good ole T does post here every so often under the name of Garion or some such thing, although based on previous not so nice interactions he is not a fan favorite, if you know what I mean.


"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1291
Joined: Nov 24, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2020
Location: Brescia, Italy

Post Posted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:26 pm 
 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy,


Well dagnabit! The Spanish bidder tauglorimorgorus withdrew his $80 bid on this. The reason: "La cantidad introducida no es válida". What the heck is that supposed to mean? Was he offended by my mention of the Oscar Meyer "Orc Bacon"? :P

I think it means, "I entered the wrong amount".
Paul

Don't worry, if Spain doesn't want it any more, Italy will be happy to fill the void  :D

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5611
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 14, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:58 pm 
 

I lost another one of these.  

Does anyone have any info about the contents of the 20 Years employees only booklet vs. the content in the 25th Anniversary box set?  (I don't care about the 30th anniversary book, since it's a waste :D ).


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1291
Joined: Nov 24, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2020
Location: Brescia, Italy

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 2:06 pm 
 

grodog wrote:I lost another one of these.  

Does anyone have any info about the contents of the 20 Years employees only booklet vs. the content in the 25th Anniversary box set?  (I don't care about the 30th anniversary book, since it's a waste :D ).

When I received my copy from the Burntwire Brothers (a most fine transaction  :D ) I opened the booklet with trepidation, hoping for unheard of news from TSR. My heart sank when I noticed that this booklet was virtually identical to the one inserted in the 25 Anniversary Edition set. The only differences I noticed were the contribution of the TSR shipping department head (yanked from the 25th anniversary booklet in favour of more designers' notes)  and the (ugly) photos, wisely replaced by other illustrations and artwork in the 25th Anniverdsary booklet. I was toyng with the idea to sell it but I can't bring myself to kiss it goodbye   :oops:

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5611
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Jan 14, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:22 pm 
 

Thanks Sotterraneo:  given TSR's art and module content recycling going on in the latter-2e era, I thought it possible that they'd recycled the employee-only promo into a commercial product.  

I'll probably pass on these from now on, I guess, unless the replaced photos are interesting/worthwhile?


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6067
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 14, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:30 pm 
 

I think the photos that got replaced were ones that are dark and you can't really make out much anyway.  I was a bit disappointed with the one I won from Gal_Havoc too.  Although, interestingly enough, I am not really looking to part with my copy either :)

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1291
Joined: Nov 24, 2002
Last Visit: Dec 25, 2020
Location: Brescia, Italy

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 6:53 am 
 

grodog wrote: I'll probably pass on these from now on, I guess, unless the replaced photos are interesting/worthwhile?

No, they are not. The photo of TSR Art Department is the worst of the lot albeit it could be potentially the most interesting. I wonder about the photos which didn't pass the selection. Oh, wait, perhaps there wasn't any selection  :wink:

  


Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 2707
Joined: Feb 10, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 15, 2021
Location: Olde London Towne

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:27 am 
 

Mars wrote:I think the photos that got replaced were ones that are dark and you can't really make out much anyway.  I was a bit disappointed with the one I won from Gal_Havoc too.  Although, interestingly enough, I am not really looking to part with my copy either :)


You got a good price on that too - i forgot to bid. :wink:


Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 6067
Joined: May 03, 2003
Last Visit: Jan 14, 2021
Location: Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Post Posted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:20 pm 
 

red_bus wrote:
Mars wrote:I think the photos that got replaced were ones that are dark and you can't really make out much anyway.  I was a bit disappointed with the one I won from Gal_Havoc too.  Although, interestingly enough, I am not really looking to part with my copy either :)


You got a good price on that too - i forgot to bid. :wink:


That gives me a little bit of satisfaction after loosing out the Warriors of Mars and 3rd print Woodgrain to you.  I wish you would have forgotten to bid on that one instead :)

 WWW  
Previous
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 21, 2