Custom Modules
Author

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 5:38 pm 

I realize the collector quotient on this forum is probably significantly greater than that of players but I was curious about custom modules.

I loved to home-make modules without the use of templates and I think a few were even pretty darn good.

Anybody on here really get into that back in the day or currently?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:23 pm 

I had made some of my own way back when. They sukked though. If I put my mind (read: time and energy) I'm sure I could make some cool stuff. I've played in a few other people's home brewed modules. Some were good, some not so good. It would be cool to make one now with all the computer skills and proggies I have.

As of late, I only make maps. I had made some books. Game props. They were great. I say "were" because a player walked off with 2 of them.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:32 pm 

Here's a good thread on the topic of home made mods:

viewtopic.php?t=2172

I had a blast making my own and then slaughtering friends characters DM'ing the modules....hilarious indeed!  :twisted:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:23 pm 

Hey,

I liked some of the modules I saw on that old discussion thread.

I have been in contact with that guy who sells his own modules like Svart:  Silent But Deadly.  He has a third module coming out and I plan to buy the set.

Anyone else here self-publish their modules?  I would be interested.

My own players rebel whenever I run a published module.  They recently got downright pissed when I ran a copy of Caverns of Thracia that I bought from Reindeergamz.  I just laughed at them because my campaigns are never linear....you are free to look for adventure elsewhere at any time.  "IF this sucks, then what are you doing down here?"

Still, Judges Guild was never known for breaking the quality bank and lots of TSR modules are silly or unuseable.  Almost all of them had to be heavily rewritten...and lots more monsters installed...before they were even vaguely interesting or challenging to my players.

I would be REALLY interested to see the work of some of the classic collectors and old-hand gamers here.  I would also be interested to see some of the private, not-for-publication modules of people like Eric Mona, James Ward, Lewis Pulpisher, Steve Perrin, Greg Stafford and Frank Meztner...to name but a few who come to mind. (Dang it, Frank, sorry.  Did I spell your last name right?)

If anybody here is copying their own stuff they should let me know....it would be fun to see.

Mark     8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:38 am 

Thanks for the link. Some of that stuff is hilarious. Still, I bet most people's work is better than they think.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:47 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:Hey,

I liked some of the modules I saw on that old discussion thread.

I have been in contact with that guy who sells his own modules like Svart: Silent But Deadly. He has a third module coming out and I plan to buy the set.

Anyone else here self-publish their modules? I would be interested.

My own players rebel whenever I run a published module. They recently got downright pissed when I ran a copy of Caverns of Thracia that I bought from Reindeergamz. I just laughed at them because my campaigns are never linear....you are free to look for adventure elsewhere at any time. "IF this sucks, then what are you doing down here?"

Still, Judges Guild was never known for breaking the quality bank and lots of TSR modules are silly or unuseable. Almost all of them had to be heavily rewritten...and lots more monsters installed...before they were even vaguely interesting or challenging to my players.

I would be REALLY interested to see the work of some of the classic collectors and old-hand gamers here. I would also be interested to see some of the private, not-for-publication modules of people like Eric Mona, James Ward, Lewis Pulpisher, Steve Perrin, Greg Stafford and Frank Meztner...to name but a few who come to mind. (Dang it, Frank, sorry. Did I spell your last name right?)

If anybody here is copying their own stuff they should let me know....it would be fun to see.

Mark   8)

I was always famous for reworking classic modules.  I hated writing my own stuff from scratch, didn't have the time.  So I just took a G1-3 or T1-4 and using the maps and the  basic plotline, adapted it for our campaign, juiced up a few monsters or completely changed them up, inserted a few new traps, new characters, rooms, etc.  I've run G1-3 for the same guys about three times and it doesn't help them at all, even if you think you know what's coming you really don't and that can be twice as deadly. One time I ran the G-series and had some Fire Giant Shamans in G3, that really threw a wrench into the player's schemes, along with making Obmi the power behind the throne (he was actually a  demon in dwarf form) and other tricky changes that kept them jumping.
  Once upon a time I changed most of my first edition favorities to second edition and heavily reworked them.  Unfortunately I can't find most of them anymore.  I still have the rework of I1 Forbidden City, you can get a "free" copy by buying a copy of the "real" I1 in my Ebay store, or if you buy something from me I'll slip a copy in for copying costs only, or we can work something out (It's 40+ pages so it's kind of big).  It's basically I1 and a mini adventure from WGR2 updated for 2nd edition and heavily reworked and extrapolated on.
  In this vein, anyone else have any 1st edition or published adventures they updated and want to sell/trade? I'm always interested in seeing how others run or have run classic scenarios.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:33 pm 

*cough*

http://delversdungeon.dragonsfoot.org/emodules.htm

ahem...

:)

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:41 pm 

Very interesting...

I'll rummage through these and may be in touch.

I need to see if any of my old ones still exist.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 3:19 pm 

After I finish this database I'm working on, and the screenplay I'm working on, and a few more cans I have in the pipe, THEN I might make a module for Internet publication. This thread certainly has my mind working on one.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:25 pm 

DungeonDelver wrote:*cough*

ahem...

Awesome.  Thanks for posting these modules.  I love this kind of stuff!

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:38 pm 

DungeonDelver wrote:*cough*

ahem...

I've read and downloaded these.  They are very nostalgic!!!

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 8:20 am 

Thank you all for your kind words...one of the WGH series (the last) has cover art by Aaron "Nodwick" Williams...can't wait to get that one finished up and posted.