Was: bad ebay sale... now resolved 100% & info on shippi
Author

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:35 pm 

First of all, let me say I'm sorry for posting this here. When I posted this I was upset that reindeergamez had just left me negative feedback before even getting my package. He/she had also just told me "tough luck" about my shipping.

I realize now I should have just eaten the extra cost of shipping. What happened was the buyer paid $11 USD for shipping via media mail, when I took the 50 pound package to be mailed at the post office they informed me it could not be mailed via media mail because it did not contain only "printed bound matter" due to the contents including "gaming materials". A 50 pound package mailed via USPS is very expensive, so I went the next cheapest and otherwise safest route I could - Fedex ground. I sent it, then that night emailed the buyer about it. I provided the tracking number, and was very nice about it. I sent 3 more emails, my very last emails after all of these mentioned I didn't appreciate being ignored, and that is when I opened the complaint via ebay. I also mentioned I could not imagine the buyer would want to impact their perfect rating over this - I did not threaten to leave negative feedback to be a jerk.

A note in my own defense, I did NOT "blackmail" anyone. I was simply frustrated at the buyers total lack of response. I also realize for all future ebay lots to totally change how I list shipping, needless to say.

So, here we are.

I feel like a moron for posting this here, I'm out my shipping, I've made a nice group of wonderful experts and interesting people think I'm a fool or worse on ebay. I apologize, but again all I wanted was some help with shipping. A response sooner would have been in order, and leaving such horrible negative feedback before even getting the package was really, really rotten.

A bad deal all around it seems.

Sorry to all.

:(

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:52 pm 

You should both look into withdrawing feedback.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:08 am 

jpipes wrote:
I feel like a moron for posting this here, I'm out my shipping, I've made a nice group of wonderful experts and interesting people think I'm a fool or worse on ebay. I apologize, but again all I wanted was some help with shipping. A response sooner would have been in order, and leaving such horrible negative feedback before even getting the package was really, really rotten.

Sorry to all.

Hey, people here are pretty forgiving as long as it isn't repeated incidents. It sounds like things got confused & emotions stepped in & it's very noble of you to post an apology after opening a can of worms instead of getting more fired up. Most people here aren't looking to rip each other off, but for honest & open sellers (and mistakes do happen), which is why this community works so well. I'd also suggest you both take further discussion to private email & look into withdrawing feedback (why should you both take a neg. when you can communicate, move on & both feel wronged?).

:)

Mount Celestia doesn't want me and Baator's afraid I'll take over.

Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad at the door, Ninty-eight Blue and Green Slaad, Take one down, they gate in two more, Ninty-nine Blue and Green Slaad at the door...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:19 am 

jpipes wrote:First of all, let me say I'm sorry for posting this here. When I posted this I was upset that reindeergamez had just left me negative feedback before even getting my package. He/she had also just told me "tough luck" about my shipping.

I realize now I should have just eaten the extra cost of shipping. What happened was the buyer paid $11 USD for shipping via media mail, when I took the 50 pound package to be mailed at the post office they informed me it could not be mailed via media mail because it did not contain only "printed bound matter" due to the contents including "gaming materials". A 50 pound package mailed via USPS is very expensive, so I went the next cheapest and otherwise safest route I could - Fedex ground. I sent it, then that night emailed the buyer about it. I provided the tracking number, and was very nice about it. I sent 3 more emails, my very last emails after all of these mentioned I didn't appreciate being ignored, and that is when I opened the complaint via ebay. I also mentioned I could not imagine the buyer would want to impact their perfect rating over this - I did not threaten to leave negative feedback to be a jerk.

A note in my own defense, I did NOT "blackmail" anyone. I was simply frustrated at the buyers total lack of response. I also realize for all future ebay lots to totally change how I list shipping, needless to say.

So, here we are.

Sorry to all.

Dude, the really sad thing is that your auction DID qualify for media mail.

Don't go into details with a postal employee - tell them it's books and be done with it. The "Gaming materials" you sent ARE books. (Sure, there are a couple "loose" sheets. No worries. You would have had no problem sending it that way - even if they opened it, I seriously doubt there would have been anything noticed to be amiss.

Again, NEVER go into specific details with the post office - if it's gaming books (even modules) then send it media mail. I defy even the post office to claim that modules aren't  "books".

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 7:13 am 

I'll second beyondthebreach..
When I go to the post office to send stuff like this, they try and give me the 3rd degree when I want to send media mail (Yeah I know it'll go to Chicago and maybe looked at..so what) Heck even sending overseas they find me writing 'printed matter' on the form odd (sorry but seems most packages sent airmail to me list that, so I'll use it).
Next time just say its books, and be done with it. (If they ask you what type of books..just say the ones with paper in them :wink: )

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:10 am 

I just wanted to update everyone and let you know that I have offered to withdraw feedback.  I'm pleased to find this morning that he had closed the non-paying bidder report against me (which had really gotten under my skin) and his latest emails have been civil.  Thank you everyone for your advice and kindness in this situation, I'm sorry it had to get dragged out to a public forum to actually get resolved. =)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:18 pm 

Plaag wrote:I'll second beyondthebreach..
When I go to the post office to send stuff like this, they try and give me the 3rd degree when I want to send media mail (Yeah I know it'll go to Chicago and maybe looked at..so what) Heck even sending overseas they find me writing 'printed matter' on the form odd (sorry but seems most packages sent airmail to me list that, so I'll use it).
Next time just say its books, and be done with it. (If they ask you what type of books..just say the ones with paper in them :wink: )

ShaneG.

Number one, sometimes you undervalue shipping, I've done it before and will probably do it again, you just have to eat shit and grin when that happens.
Number two, you don't owe the Post office squat.  I ship everything that's not a magazine as "books" and as stated here by others I defy them to prove differently.  As long as it's not a fucking A-bomb or package of anthrax, the postal employees just need to do their damn job and stop sticking their noses into your business. I ship items almost everyday and it always bugs me when some retard behind the counter tries to "catch me" in a mistake by asking specific questions about the contents of my boxes, like I haven't been doing this for 14 years now.  I got a "You know we can open this box if we want per postal regulations, right?" from a newbie the other day who thought he was either being intimidating or witty.   I just said "Go ahead, I've got all day, do you?".  I wanted to get ugly but didnt' want my boxes pissed on or whatever they do in the back when they don't like you. Frickin morons.

Mike B.

** Banned **

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:03 pm 

Thanks for all the comments here and via PMs regarding shipping suggestions. I have been using a smaller local post office so it's sometimes harder to debate with them, but in the future I will hold my ground better when it comes mailing via media rate.

Also, the buyer and I have agreed to remove our feedback and I will simply eat the shipping. I've learned my lesson and in the future have a better understanding of how to price auction lots for postage, etc.

Sorry again to have brought this up here, but I do think doing so helped both parties (myself and the buyer) gain a more level perspective and I know I've learned from it as a result.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:10 am 

jpipes wrote:Thanks for all the comments here and via PMs regarding shipping suggestions. I have been using a smaller local post office so it's sometimes harder to debate with them, but in the future I will hold my ground better when it comes mailing via media rate.

Also, the buyer and I have agreed to remove our feedback and I will simply eat the shipping. I've learned my lesson and in the future have a better understanding of how to price auction lots for postage, etc.

Sorry again to have brought this up here, but I do think doing so helped both parties (myself and the buyer) gain a more level perspective and I know I've learned from it as a result.

Everyone makes mistakes.  I know I have sent a too hot email from time to time and then regretted it.  Glad you guys could sort it out.

Mark   :)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:48 am 

Sheesh, half my emails are of the "sorry, forgot to take my meds, won't happen again, I promise, didn't mean to pitch a fit and slag your family, threaten to poison your well, sell all your furniture and kitchen appliances, and while we're talking about it, maybe don't look in your garage for a couple of days..."variety....

I'm glad you brought this up on the forum, as it has provided me with a free model of a difficult situation and how to resolve it in a civil manner. Much appreciated to both parties.

Bree-Yark!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:31 am 

RWilson wrote:Sheesh, half my emails are of the "sorry, forgot to take my meds, won't happen again, I promise, didn't mean to pitch a fit and slag your family, threaten to poison your well, sell all your furniture and kitchen appliances, and while we're talking about it, maybe don't look in your garage for a couple of days..."variety....

I'm glad you brought this up on the forum, as it has provided me with a free model of a difficult situation and how to resolve it in a civil manner. Much appreciated to both parties.

yeah i agree. hats off to all concerned:

neutral parties for staying just that and actually helping and the two parties for resolving things amicably. i like to see that cos you know, things can get so sticky sometimes and its so easy to run with it.

respect!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:22 pm 

Stick with priority mail and use tracking. I have tried just about everything to save people money or estimate shipping and you wind up getting screwed sooner or later.

If I lose bidders because they have to pay a couple dollars more to ship, oh well. It is not worth the hassle, otherwise. Sure I have screwed up a couple times and took my medicine. That is ebay.

I am glad it got worked out. Without getting into the whole feedback debate, negs suck. Or should I say the fact that they stay around forever, ridiculously outweight positives and can be used as blackmail is crazy.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:47 pm 

Hi there, I promise this is my last post on this topic.  =)

Earlier today I was thinking about this situation again, and I was still a little torn about it.  (As I said, before we got "heated" I was originally planning to offer to split the shipping difference) and I am pleased with the package.  I thought hard on it, and then realized my solution was staring me in the face.  I have donated $25 (The approx sum of the contested shipping) to the Acaeum.  I *hope* this will be a solution that will help this wind up being a winning transaction all around.   :P

Transaction Details

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment Sent (ID #32181861E1576435L)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Amount:
-$25.00 USD

Date:
Feb. 7, 2006
Time:
19:38:13 PST
Unclaimed  

Subject:
Donations for Acaeum Site / Forums
Note:
Thank you so much for hosting the site & forums, I appriciate the resource!
Shipping Address:

No Address Provided

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 11:33 pm 

Very nice.  Good idea.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

** Banned **

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:08 am 

Yeah... good idea.  :? Just kidding. I guess that means, in a way, I too have donated to the Acaeum! 8)

Previous