Dave Sutherland Interview Preview (a bit of racy content)
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:39 am 

Howdy Folks,

Still working through the hours of Sutherland interviews. Here's a tidbit of trivia for you.

When Dave had to come up with a model for the succubus picture, he went down to the local five and dime and picked up the current copy of Playboy. Being quite chivalrous toward the ladyfolk Dave was unused to such endeavors. To say the least Dave was embarassed. When the clerk at the counter managed to mess up his change, shorting Dave by several dollars. Dave just left in a rush, not caring to discuss the issue while holding the unsavory magazine in his hand.

Back at his desk at TSR, next to Dave Trampier, Dave opened the magazine and said, "There she was, all wet, crawling out of a bath. That was the one."

That was in February of 1977. Now if some of you wish to pick up this item as research, one is available on eBay (setting up a discreet account...):

Warning! Link is NOT WORK SAFE.

:oops:

http://cgi.ebay.com/FEBRUARY-1977-PLAYB ... dZViewItem

Ayep, that's her on the cover - sans horns. :twisted: :lol:

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:24 am 

I LOVE THIS KIND OF INFORMATION!!!

The history of a thought process, some events, leading to a result (which is just a catalyst for more thoughts, events, and results) is the best.

People know me as someone who is full of useless, but interesting facts.

Thanx Paul!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:38 am 

Well because of this post, my curiosity totaly got the best of me, and as pointed out already by one of the board stalkers, :P I went ahead and bought one. :oops:

Mars wrote:I'm surprised Brian didn't post this find of his too :)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 7005001127

You should venture out into the world and find this stuff instead of staying by your computer looking for great buy-it-nows.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:38 pm 

Just so you don't feel singled out, there are many others from here that I ebay stalk as well :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:39 pm 

Mars wrote:Just so you don't feel singled out, there are many others from here that I ebay stalk as well :)

:lol:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:39 pm 

Mars wrote:Just so you don't feel singled out, there are many others from here that I ebay stalk as well :)

I'm glad I'm not on anyone's list... :)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:51 pm 

I know people are watching what's on my watch list.  I can feel them in my brain...   8O

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:43 am 

I agree, I also find it interesting where artists get their inspiration. What I also find interesting is how there seems to be little interest in old Playboys on Ebay. I always thought they were quite collectible.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:14 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy Folks,

When Dave had to come up with a model for the succubus picture, he went down to the local five and dime and picked up the current copy of Playboy. Being quite chivalrous toward the ladyfolk Dave was unused to such endeavors. To say the least Dave was embarassed. When the clerk at the counter managed to mess up his change, shorting Dave by several dollars. Dave just left in a rush, not caring to discuss the issue while holding the unsavory magazine in his hand.

Back at his desk at TSR, next to Dave Trampier, Dave opened the magazine and said, "There she was, all wet, crawling out of a bath. That was the one."

That was in February of 1977. Now if some of you wish to pick up this item as research, one is available on eBay (setting up a discreet account...):

Paul

That was the best thing about working in a p0rn store for several months, I stopped being the awkward geek, and became the villanous man I am today.  :twisted:

Now if only I still had the polaroid of me with the two p0rn stars...well, I'll just leave it at that... :wink:

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:58 pm 

Howdy Brian,

bclarkie wrote:Well because of this post, my curiosity totaly got the best of me, and as pointed out already by one of the board stalkers, :P I went ahead and bought one. :oops:

O.K. - for RESEARCH purposes, I need you to make a confirmation whether it was the centerfold and what the gals name is. (Oh and a brief description of the bathtub scene... or anything funny about her, e.g., turn-ons: rolling dice, playing D&D, etc.)

PM me...  8)  Seriously.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:28 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy Brian,

bclarkie wrote:Well because of this post, my curiosity totaly got the best of me, and as pointed out already by one of the board stalkers, :P I went ahead and bought one. :oops:

O.K. - for RESEARCH purposes, I need you to make a confirmation whether it was the centerfold and what the gals name is. (Oh and a brief description of the bathtub scene... or anything funny about her, e.g., turn-ons: rolling dice, playing D&D, etc.)

PM me... 8) Seriously.

Futures Bright,

Paul

If I win one as well, I'll send you the info myself.   Two sources can't hurt.

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:34 pm 

Thanks!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:45 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy Brian,

PM me... 8) Seriously.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Will do, Paul. :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:39 am 

MrFilthyIke wrote:If I win one as well, I'll send you the info myself.  Two sources can't hurt.

You know the way we sometimes wonder why newbies get into bidding wars over common items?  Somewhere out there, a Playboy collector/reseller is having fits trying to figure out why there's a run on the Feb 1977 issue...  :lol:

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:26 pm 

I totally associate those ol' hotties from the '70's and early '80's with the women in D&D....this is really fascinating stuff. That succubus was a serious eye-opener (probably a pants-opener for some!) for me- I was maybe 9?

Not sure I want to see the centerfold who was the model for the intellect devourer, though....although that one may have been somebody's ex...

PS I'm sad about Mr. Sutherland. He was really formative in my creative/ imaginative development. And I really loved the ethereal nature of his woodland faeries type creatures.

Bree-Yark!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 9:49 am 

Okay, I got this magazine in the mail yeterday, and I am sad to say the only picture of the cover model is in fact on the cover.  The blurb on the inside idicates her name is Lena Kansbod a Sweedish model.  I did a google search on her name, but the only pictures that come up are that of the Playboy issue and the Sports Illustrated 1977 swimsuit issue. She appears on the cover of this as well and I imagine there would be some photos inside also.  Now I am debating as to whether or not to pursue buying magazine. :?