Out of Control Shipping Charges!
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:19 pm 

Any body noticed that some sellers charge huge shipping charges and they still find people to buy their stuff?  How exactly is $10.00 reasonable for someone to charge per item???!!! 8O  The seller states that it is to cover secure storage, packaging materials, shipping department costs, fuel charges for delivery to the Post Office, etc.  That seller must live a looooong way from the post office...

Check this out...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =2545&rd=1

Oh, the picture is not of the actual item either, the title states free shipping, (fine print...only if you use BUY IT NOW), oh, and to top it all off, the guy is selling photocopies of the Cthulhu and Melnibonean pages outside of ebay. :x

Some people suck.  I guess the answer is to just not bid, but it peeves me to see people get taken advantage of... I hope the bidder doesn't win more than one auction from this seller!

Poor Schuggieknight!

Dere Fritoad, Two badd yoo copped outt so sooon lazt nighgt. Mised som grooovy trps. Hoap th rring thinng wurcs out awrighgt. Peece, Timm  PS Hear ar som outt of sihgt stash I'm laying onn yoo guyz. Must sine off as rush iss cocomcoming ohgodohgod$#%*@!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 3:59 pm 

Report him. I had a HUGE argument with that guy over shipping before, it wasn't stated in an auction I won and he tried to charge $8 for media mail. Noobs will always ignore the shipping costs when bidding.

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:06 pm 

I did report him...

I also e-mailed the bidder with the Acaeum link to the Deities Page and mentioned the shipping...

Maybe he doesn't know he can retract the bid...?

Dere Fritoad, Two badd yoo copped outt so sooon lazt nighgt. Mised som grooovy trps. Hoap th rring thinng wurcs out awrighgt. Peece, Timm  PS Hear ar som outt of sihgt stash I'm laying onn yoo guyz. Must sine off as rush iss cocomcoming ohgodohgod$#%*@!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 5:36 pm 

If the guy is shipping priority (the larger box not flat rate) plus insurance then the shipping could approach $10. I would estimate around $8 (for everything) with heavy secure packaging inside the box.

However he is taking advantage of people's ignorance for shipping charges.

I would be more concerned about him 'selling' photocopies of the Cthulu & Melnibonean mythos. He gives them away but overcharges shipping to ensure he is making money.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:01 pm 

Ok, I thought $10.00 was bad... check this out!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... =2545&rd=1

$25.00!!!  Egad!  That is Evil!!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:15 pm 

$25.00 may be a little high...but remember, that package is coming to the United States from New Zealand. I sent a single module to with air shipment to Australia (the buyer wanted that instead of ground) and it was about $13.00. So, $25.00 to ship a boxed set and and a stack of supplements/modules is probably about right.

-PD

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:27 pm 

I got a stack of modules from a friend in Australia, 11 total, and I believe the shipping was $10 or so airmail. I send stuff to Europe all the time for 9-10.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 11:31 pm 

The best way to ship international from the US is Global Priority mail.

Its a flat rate of $9.00 and the USPS provides the mailer (which holds 3-5 modules or a single hardcover). Downside - is it not insurable.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:48 pm 

Yes, to Europe does run about $9-10...and a Global priority envelope will hold a few modules or a hardcover, but they will have no protection against bumps and so forth so I never used them. My guess is this package (the one with the $25.00 shipping) would weigh about 5 pounds and you would never be able to fit it in an envelope which would preclude the flate rate thing. If you check the USPS website, you will find that it would cost $28.75 to send such a package to New Zealand with airmail Parcel Post or $21.50 by surface (and I imagine a similar amount coming here). So I do not think this person is at all out of line in his shipping quote...I am just trying to defend the guy and I do not think he deserves to be lumped in with that $10-you-pay-for-everything-that-I-have-to-do-to-send-you-a-package-moron. $10 to send a package that will probably cost him no more than $5 with insurance included. That guy is just some greedy little punk trying to make extra money off of newbies...and $10 for photocopies!?!...shipping and handling my eye, people like him should be put against the wall and not even be given a blindfold or a cigarette. :evil:

Oh, sorry...I am ranting at this point. Please return to your regularly scheduled D&D forum. :oops:

-PD

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jul 25, 2003 10:54 pm 

And I suppose if he has to stop and go to the bathroom while he is on the way to the post office does some poor fool have to pay for the toilet paper as well?!? $10 for shipping...boy, that just burns me up!!!

Sorry, sorry, sorry...I just get a little carried away some times...

-PD

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 12:27 pm 

I have the best one.

Last year, some lady posted a bunch of hardcovers with BIN prices of $1.99 or so. The caveat was that shipping for each was around $8, and she would not combine shipping. I believe zzyllan picked up a few too.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 3:09 am 

I've seen that one before.  I still think one of the worst was our favorite British eBay seller, Cougarinard...  when he started out, he charged like $15/book for shipping to the US, with a $5 handling fee.  I think he still might charge and arm and a leg, he just doesn't post what his shipping charges are.  I can honestly say I've seen him post enough sketchy things on eBay and have enough hidden charges that he is one of the few people I won't buy from.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 4:59 am 

I've once bought a box from him (cougarrinard) and asked in advance for s/h charges. He said it would be 7 $ approx. When the auction was over he told me it would be 11 $, so I asked for verification and he offered 9 $ (from UK to Germany). I've also asked him why he leaves his feedback only when I left my feedback on him and received a lengthy blah-blah mail on how some other guy threatened to take him to court etc.

Also I'd like to add that I once saw him offering photocopies of some super-rare 1E stuff on rec.games.frp.marketplace - he said he bought them from someone else and it would be no copyright violation even though nobody bought that ...

On the plus side the box was exactly as described. Personally I also won't buy again from him (mainly because of the attempted sale of photocopies).

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 9:37 am 

Why the heck can't the guy buy a digital camera or scanner or something too?!!?  I hate bidding on auctions with no picture.

I don't remember who coined the phrase, but some one on the Acaeum called him cougarretard.  That is cool.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 6:47 pm 

foster1969 wrote:I don't remember who coined the phrase, but some one on the Acaeum called him cougarretard.  That is cool.

Frank is responsible for this name in a newsgroup thread.

"before chuck even gets in the room, you can feel the bad-ness." -Al

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2003 7:57 am 

"bows humbly"

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:31 pm 

Here he is again!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3141692045

:x

I tried reporting this to WOTC, but no response...  :(

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 12:38 pm 

The auction states that the copy has the mythoi in the book. No infringement there.

And hey, for the bargain price of $60, you get FREE SHIPPING!

Next