Shrinkwrapped Duty and Deity - fake or not?
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:48 pm 

Well, I have always thought that For Duty and Deity did not come shrinkwrapped. You can also find several eBay stores which have multiple new, unsold copies, and they are not shrinkwrapped (I purchased mine from one of these). However...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

I believe Intelligator to be a serious seller, so it seems strange to me that he lists a fake shrinkwrap (and one so lowly in collectible price, I'd say). Anyone knows better? Maybe there is a number of copies of this module which came out in shrinkwrap?

I would consider bidding on this module if I had reason to believe it were real. No value for the average collector, but FR is my favorite setting, and this one is my favorite module...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:06 pm 

guerret wrote:Well, I have always thought that For Duty and Deity did not come shrinkwrapped. You can also find several eBay stores which have multiple new, unsold copies, and they are not shrinkwrapped (I purchased mine from one of these). However...

I believe Intelligator to be a serious seller, so it seems strange to me that he lists a fake shrinkwrap (and one so lowly in collectible price, I'd say). Anyone knows better? Maybe there is a number of copies of this module which came out in shrinkwrap?

I would consider bidding on this module if I had reason to believe it were real. No value for the average collector, but FR is my favorite setting, and this one is my favorite module...

I know a lot of stores used to shrink product to keep some of the more "handsy" shoppers from flipping through and damaging merchandise.  It doesn't meant the product is fake. I'm sure the item is fine, if you want you can always pull the shrink off when you get the item.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:38 pm 

Badmike wrote:
guerret wrote:Well, I have always thought that For Duty and Deity did not come shrinkwrapped. You can also find several eBay stores which have multiple new, unsold copies, and they are not shrinkwrapped (I purchased mine from one of these). However...

I know a lot of stores used to shrink product to keep some of the more "handsy" shoppers from flipping through and damaging merchandise. It doesn't meant the product is fake. I'm sure the item is fine, if you want you can always pull the shrink off when you get the item.

Mike B.

Sorry, maybe I did not explain myself. I have no doubt that the module is ok (no reason to fake a common, cheap module), only that the shrinkwrap may be non-original. As you may have noticed by my purchases on your store, I like to collect SW items (I began when I purchased some non-SW items and began finding missing accessories). So if I had a reason to believe that this was an original, factory shrinkwrap, then I'd be interested in it. However, after your observations (no doubt coming from your experience as a seller :P), I am rather convinced that this shrinkwrapping was posthumous.

Verbose Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:43 pm 

I have several copies and none of the were or are in SW.  I believe that it was SWed by the original seller to protect it from wear.  If it is original SW it will typically have small holes in the SW which are not as common in "aftermarket" SW.  Also the sealed edge will typically have more of a seam on "aftermarket" SW.