Is EBay finally getting whats coming to them?
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:56 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:
Terminal_Frost wrote:Read:

http://www.atla.org/pressroom/FACTS/fri ... ecase.aspx

Deadlord36 wrote:It's impossible to get 3rd degree burns from coffee.

1st degree: Reddened skin, pain
2nd: Blisters, severe pain, eventual sloughing
3rd: Deeply charred, black skin, no pain or sensation. Nerves dead. Possibility of amputation or gangrene.

Check this out: http://www.burn-victim-center.com/types.html

From the way the article reads and the different burn types listed, if she had spilled the coffee on her leg only, she may have only had second-degree burns since the thickness of the skin factors in. But she spilled it backwards into her lap burning her privates (including her perineum 8O , good lord that would hurt!) as well as her butt-cheeks. I wonder, did they use photographic means to prove it in court or did they just ask her to drop her pants in front of the jury. :lol:

Makes you understand now why she won so much money:

"For the love of God, woman, PULL THOSE PANTIES UP AND WE'LL GIVE YOU WHATEVER YOU WANT JUST STOP!!!!!!!"

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:56 pm 

Again:

Coffee. Hot.
Idiot woman with coffee between legs=Idiot woman with burns.

But maybe you're right, it must be McDonald's fault that the dumb broad has no common sense. Can't be her fault, this is America.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:19 pm 

Badmike has already covered what I was going to say, so just pretend I'm aping him and go read his posts again.

Competition will make eBay better, not lawsuits. eBay is, in every way I can imagine, superior to trading on a usenet group. If you want to replicate the usenet feeling, pick a few hundred of the thousands of eBay sellers, and only ever buy from them. Buy only from folks you trust, or use the feedback stuff to pick and choose your sellers.

Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:46 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:The fact that the lady got a single penny is absurd. You're right, McDonald's should have just paid her off for being so smart as to sue for being a fucking idiot.
Then the price of hamburgers would go up. Oh wait, isn't that what we're worried about with the eBay thing?
I don't care if eBay stays or goes. But the fact is, they make NO ATTEMPT to be accountable for what goes on. If they even made a decent attempt, I'd be fine with that.

It seems that many here do not know the facts about the McDonald's coffee lawsuit. On the face of it, it does seem absurd that someone would sue McDonald's because the hot coffee they ordered was indeed hot. But, this case was different. There was clear negligence on McDonald's part, and actual physical harm was incurred because of this negligence. The 81-year old woman in question ended up with third degree burns on her groin, thighs, and buttocks because of the excessively hot coffee (185 degrees Fahrenheit).

Just like eBay, McDonald's, in the coffee situation, made no effort to lower its coffee temperature, even after several hundred scalding incidents and complaints were reported over the previous decade.

More info on the coffee lawsuit facts here: http://lawandhelp.com/q298-2.htm

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:28 pm 

Coffee. Hot.

Previous