The Curse of the Postman
Author

Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:42 am 

Many collectors on here probably have tales and stories of overzealous, and careless postmen. Over time the recklessness and inept handling of packages have damaged precious collecting material. Here is one of my examples:

In 1994, I had an arrangement with the proprietor of a second-hand bookstore in Liverpool, England called the Adventurers Guild. As it was early days with only a few role-playing collectors in Britain, little information was available concerning the AD&D/D&D modules, and rulebooks. The store owner telephoned my workplace to offer an unusual Greyhawk, Blackmoor, Chainmail supplements, and two early Dungeon and Dragons box sets coloured white and a strange brown/woodgrain variety. As I had never heard or seen these products before and believing the items to be extremely rare, with enthusisiam I paid seventy-five pounds for the items.

A week, then two passes, but the package never arrives. So I contacted the shop owner who provided proof and evidence the parcel was posted. In the end though all I could claim was the original seventy-five pounds paid for the items. At the time it was never the monetary value, but the sheer amazement and excitement of owning and handling a new product, never before seen, so I was extremely frustrated and disappointed never to receive the package.

Although this was the one off occurance of the Post Office losing a valuable package, over the years there has been numerous cases of the postmen being heavyhanded, and ignoring specific instructions on the envelopes or on the door. Too many times padded envelopes containing modules were bent or creased to fit into the letterbox, or their edges scuffed through heavyhandling. Luckily you build up a good rapore with a regular postman, but the damage can be done while being processed in the sorting offices.

Shane

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:58 am 

My regular postman knows that I collect and get many parcels in the mail.  He does a good job of looking out for me.  However, he is often switched to different routes to fill-in for those who are sick.  The guy who takes his place has given two of my packages to the wrong address.  I never received them.  Both packages had tracking and I was able to track them right to his vehicle.  Postal Manager at my office is an idiot and did nothing about it.

Lost a DA1 and I can't remember what the other package was.

Martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:01 am 

Just this last week I had another adventure with my postman and old D&D stuff...you all remember the enthusiasm with which I posted about getting the Grenadier #5009 "Dragon's Lair" kit, right?

Well it came Saturday and lo and behold the postman had laid it on it's edge and crammed it into the mailbox.   :roll:   The corners were a little mashed up, but fortunately that was it.  However I've had AD&D books treated the same way, and OD&D booklets in large mailing envelopes curled in half (lengthwise, thank goodness).

So, yes, for those matters the post office does suck.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:37 am 

I think I have little to blame the postman.

However, what once happened to me is that a seller made a mistake in writing my PO number. He wrote 56176 instead of 56126. The number he wrote was non-existent; however the rest of the address was correct.

It appears that the package never even reached my city. This is because addresses are processed electronically, and I must assume that if the PO number does not match, there is no one who bothers to take a look and move the package to the correct city (where the rest of the address will be processed).

I received full refund, but was rather disappointed to have lost a big pack of items.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:53 am 

Can't complain as I have been pretty lucky on my end. Back in the 90's when I did the bulk of my collecting/selling I made sure I bought the "MOAB" ( Mother-of-all-boxes) that they had at Home-Depot. the thing is roughly 20H X 18W X 24D. No cramming needed :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:02 am 

The mailman I have now is a jakkass (yeah, I said it!)! He/She crushes my mail into the box and every other day someone in my apartment building gets some of my mail or I get someone elses mail in with mine.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:54 am 

I could consider myself lucky lucky, I have sent/recived over 2000 packages with only two being lost!  One to Italy and one to Eastern Canada.  

Stuff comes to me damaged all the time though, I don't understand how a dealer can ship an item loose in a paper envelope and expect it to arrive in good condition!  It has to be packed to withstand the post office, simply adding minimal packing material  will work!

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:57 am 

Just the other day, I received a Priority box with a gaping hole in the side about the size of a grapefruit.  I mean seriously, what the hell?  Fortunately, the contents were fine, but that was just luck.  In that case, I'm sure it wasn't the delivery person, but he has also been known to fold Priority envelopes into the mailbox, even when they say "Don't Bend".

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:57 am 

Blackmoor wrote:I could consider myself lucky lucky, I have sent/recived over 2000 packages with only two being lost! One to Italy and one to Eastern Canada.

Stuff comes to me damaged all the time though, I don't understand how a dealer can ship an item loose in a paper envelope and expect it to arrive in good condition! It has to be packed to withstand the post office, simply adding minimal packing material will work!

J

Stiff cardboard is a good idea, too.  My postman likes to fold modules in half and stuff them in the mailslot in my door... "Do Not Bend" means nothing to him. :cry:

YIM  

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 11:29 am 

deimos3428 wrote:Stiff cardboard is a good idea, too. My postman likes to fold modules in half and stuff them in the mailslot in my door... "Do Not Bend" means nothing to him. :cry:

I know - with my local sorting office it is more a challenge:

"do not bend"

"...oh, you think so do you!!  well, let's see..."  :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

I have (almost) everything delivered to my work address.  Which works better.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:21 pm 

Blackmoor wrote:I could consider myself lucky lucky, I have sent/recived over 2000 packages with only two being lost! One to Italy and one to Eastern Canada.

I have heard horror stories about Italian mail service (with all due respect to our Italian friends) - packages that were clearly labelled that the postman literally just didn't bother taking it: too big, didn't want to, whatever.  

With the EU coming together, though, that might have changed if it was true at all...

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:50 pm 

The postal system lost a copy of I2 that I had won a few years ago.  The seller sent it with confirmation.  Apparently it made it to a distribution center in Cincinnati and then disappeared into a black hole...

As for my post person, they regularly bend the envelopes to cram it in.  Luckily I haven't had any serious damage as a result.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:20 am 

I've said it before here but it deserves saying again - my postman is the GAWD of delivery men. He couldn't be more helpful, diligent or decent - he goes out of his way to look after me and my packages (and it seems everyone else I've spoken to in my street) - He's currently in Mauritius for 3 weeks (presumably funded by well deserved Xmas tips) and frankly I miss him!
Also I've never yet lost a parcel sent to me and only once had one that I've sent go missing. I refunded the chap the £20 and then attempted to claim from parcel force myself - filled in the form, was told it could take forever and was a lottery anyway - 10 days latter got a cheque for the full amount! - Sorry if this is different to your experiences! :D

You can never have too much of something you didn't need in the first place.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:50 am 

carl3369 wrote:Also I've never yet lost a parcel sent to me and only once had one that I've sent go missing. I refunded the chap the £20 and then attempted to claim from parcel force myself - filled in the form, was told it could take forever and was a lottery anyway - 10 days latter got a cheque for the full amount! - Sorry if this is different to your experiences! :D

parcelforce...man they are funny.

i sent some rare metallica records to some bloke, who won them for a mere £23 (a pittance of the value but i was getting divorced and needed the money)....

didnt get there so i refunded the guy and made a claim *for their full value* and got a cheque for £108 :D

whats more.....two weeks later, i got a parcel.......parcelforce returning them!!!!! 8O

so of course i sold them again and netted almost £100 selling them seperately this time!

bout the only time something good went for me really...excepting that dragon archive...

Al

*just off out for my run*

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:05 am 

I cringe every time it rains.  My postman doesn't bend, fold, spindle or mutilate stuff, but when it rains, I swear he uses my mail as a hat.  We often get half-dissolved mail.  Once, an envelope was literally falling apart on my doorstep. Fortunately, the contents were a SW CD so no harm done, but I lost some sleep that night thinking about how it easily could have been one of my rarer, paper purchases.   8O

If I've ever bought anything from any of you and requested that you wrap the contents in a plastic bag in a panicky sort of way, now you know why.   :wink:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:42 am 

Achizar wrote:I cringe every time it rains. My postman doesn't bend, fold, spindle or mutilate stuff, but when it rains, I swear he uses my mail as a hat. We often get half-dissolved mail. Once, an envelope was literally falling apart on my doorstep. Fortunately, the contents were a SW CD so no harm done, but I lost some sleep that night thinking about how it easily could have been one of my rarer, paper purchases.  8O

If I've ever bought anything from any of you and requested that you wrap the contents in a plastic bag in a panicky sort of way, now you know why.  :wink:

This hasn't been mentioned yet, but there is a very ready solution: PO Box.  I'vehad mine now for almost ten years, no damaged packages, no lost packages either.  And on the very ocassional time mail has gotten put into the wrong slot at the post office, the person who gets it just redeposits it back in the mailing bin and it will get to the the second time.  I think costs are something like $200 for a year for a decent sized box, well worth the cost for peace of mind.  If you get a large package they will leave a notice in your box and hold it, or in my PO's case they have a bank of boxes for oversized packages and you get a key put into your box to retrieve it at your leisure.
    Not to mention in this day and age of identity theft, do you really need your credit card statements, bills, medical records, etc siting in your outside box at your house all day....we get all our house mail forwarded to the PO box also.

Mike B.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:28 pm 

I used to have a horrible PO guy - he actually managed to *fold* a miniatures box (the old Grenadier ones) in half to stuff it into my little appartment mailbox. He then folded something that had 'Do Not Bend' stamped on it 3 times. After very angrily confronting him, things cleared up for the few months I stayed at that craphole of an appartment.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:53 pm 

nemesiz wrote:In 1994, I had an arrangement with the proprietor of a second-hand bookstore in Liverpool, England called the Adventurers Guild. As it was early days with only a few role-playing collectors in Britain

I'd pretty much reined back on my collecting four years before that. Probably a bad move in retrospect.

nemesiz wrote:...two early Dungeon and Dragons box sets coloured white and a strange brown/woodgrain variety. As I had never heard or seen these products before and believing the items to be extremely rare, with enthusisiam I paid seventy-five pounds for the items.
A week, then two passes, but the package never arrives.

:( :( :(
Very sorry to hear that... :?