A Strange Stag?
Author

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:01 am 

An old school friend of mine is getting married.  So, what does he want to do for his stag night - his last free night out?  

Traditionally it would be to the pub for drinks... maybe some food.. more drinks.. off to a nightclub.. more drinks.. strippers.. more drinks.. fight with the doormen.. maybe just a few more drinks.. one for the road.. waking up in the gutter two days later.

But No.

In true geek style, we are spending the weekend in a castle tower playing AD&D.  Probably the G series (as if he doesn't know it all by heart - word for word).

This is the castle.

http://www.killyleagh.com/
http://www.fjiordlands.org/strngfrd/killylea.htm

...and we are renting one of the towers.  Even though I am partial to a drink or two, and to strippers fo rthat matter, I am looking forward to this stag night more than any other I have been to!!  There will be six of us, with three DMing, each taking on G1 or G2 or G3, so that everyone gets to play a fair bit. The only trick will be to modify the modules sufficiently so that everyone will be taken by surprise...

Initially I thought it was a bit of a strange idea, (being a stickler for tradition).  
Now I am thinking, this is going to be rather cool.   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:13 am 

Why not hire strippers to play? Best of both worlds. And the wifey-to-be would never suspect, since the geek husband is "just playing D&D". I can't see how you could go wrong.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:16 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Why not hire strippers to play? Best of both worlds. And the wifey-to-be would never suspect, since the geek husband is "just playing D&D". I can't see how you could go wrong.

Genius!  :lol:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:40 am 

I hereby offer my expert DMing skills free of charge.  I'll even pay for my own plane ticket.  Please!  I've dreamt of this my whole life.  On top of it, I'm an expert stripper wrangler!

Seriously, that's just too cool.  Have a great time.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 11:20 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Why not hire strippers to play?

That sounds positively painful.  "When you guys said you wanted to roleplay, I thought you meant something else."  "Are you guys sure this isn't satanic?"  "Which one is the d6 again?"  "So I can be a human. That's like a real person right?"  " I knew a dwarf once, he had an enormous..."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:48 pm 

POWER TO NERDS!

However, I agree that a couple of strippers showing up just at the climax of the adventure should do a neat surprise trick, plus it would be the pleasure of all the role-playing nerds gathered there.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:20 pm 

Now, if you could persuade a couple of strippers to dress as Drow.......!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:35 pm 

red_bus wrote:The only trick will be to modify the modules sufficiently so that everyone will be taken by surprise...

D'you mean modifying the content, rather than modifying the mechanics--- oh, to 1st print OD&D, say? ;)

I'm sure that would confuse a few people!

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:58 pm 

faro wrote:
red_bus wrote:The only trick will be to modify the modules sufficiently so that everyone will be taken by surprise...

D'you mean modifying the content, rather than modifying the mechanics--- oh, to 1st print OD&D, say? ;)

I'm sure that would confuse a few people!

The strippers are a great idea - except that Killyleagh can be a bit of an odd town (think 'Deliverance') - so we might steer clear of local talent. As to modifying the mods - I think it shouldn't be too difficult to change things around a bit so that the players won't know what hit them! :evil:

btw, I really like the idea of 'stripper wrangler' as an occupation. maybe it's time for a career change... :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:50 pm 

NetRodent wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:Why not hire strippers to play?

That sounds positively painful.  "When you guys said you wanted to roleplay, I thought you meant something else."  "Are you guys sure this isn't satanic?"  "Which one is the d6 again?"  "So I can be a human. That's like a real person right?"  " I knew a dwarf once, he had an enormous..."

:lol:

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:21 pm 

Classic

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 5:43 pm 

red_bus wrote:The strippers are a great idea - except that Killyleagh can be a bit of an odd town (think 'Deliverance') - so we might steer clear of local talent.

Not a bad idea, I remember snogging an Irish lass south of the border (not a euphemism I hasten to add 8O ) in Cork while on a lads holiday about 10 years ago.  Judging by the stubble-rash, she was part dwarf.  Either that or...I don't actually want to consider the alternative :oops: .  Although I had been on an all-dayer and was into double figures on pints of Guinness.  That's my excuse, and I'm sticking to it.

I think that the groom should really be dressed up as is often the tradition on such events.  Maybe one of those nice LARP costumes you can get on eBay :wink: