Poll:  What condition is your collection in?
Poll: What is your collection's average condition?

NM (or better) 17%       17%  [ 8 ]
Fine/Very Fine 45%       45%  [ 21 ]
Good/Very Good 28%       28%  [ 13 ]
Fair 9%       9%  [ 4 ]
VGC! 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 47

Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:18 pm 

My collection is on the cusp of good-fine.

With, of course, some pretty hammered items and a couple of NM ones as well.

.....constant.....upgrades.....necessary......AAAHHHHRRRGHH!!!

Dave, get the barbarian in the corner a drink, quick!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:03 am 

red_bus wrote:[pedants corner...]

should this not be:

"in what condition is your collection?"

8O :wink:

Nope.  Call off the grammar police.  

Your question is subtly different from a semantic perspective, as it applies "condition" to the collection as a whole, not to its average, as the original question implied.  You could have gotten away with "in what condition is your collection's average?", I suppose.  "in which" would be generally preferred over "in what" when you're referring to a predetermined number of choices.

Since you brought it up, I had originally written the question as:

"what is [the condition of [{a sample of} the {modal} average of]] your collection?"

Quite obviously, it's far too verbose.  I chose to express the two braced sections non-overtly as they weren't strictly essential.  Then I did some more mental gymnastics and decided to use the possessive form instead of the of-genitive for the inner and outer bracketted phrases, and compacted the second genitive into the first, just for fun.

I knew my linguistics degree would come in handy someday...sheesh.  :roll:

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:18 am 

My stuff in all in pretty rough shape . . . (I sell all the high grade items!).  As long as the item is complete, I don't really care . . . not that condition doesn't matter to me, but I figure there is always time to actually start buying stuff for myself  . . . someday.

My personal highlights are all the  AD&D hardcovers manuals that I originally purchased and used.  All my other RPG stuff was sold along time ago (to purchase comics with), but I always kept the manuals.  I'll imagine they'll be sitting on the bookshelf till I die . . .

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:34 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
...decided to use the possessive form instead of the of-genitive for the inner and outer bracketted phrases, and compacted the second genitive into the first, just for fun.

I knew my linguistics degree would come in handy someday...sheesh. :roll:

and a very polite answer to my rather rude question.  ta!  :)

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:14 am 

Mixed bag here.

Many of my TSR pieces are in shrink, mint... 'cause I was there.
Many other TSR are in variable condition (Fair to VG), since I acquired them from the Real old-timers: Chainmail 1 & 2, Boot Hill booklet versions 1 & 2, etc.
Manuscripts and other oddball ephemera (mine & others) are usually near perfect, as are various one-of-a-kind items.

But I also collect non-TSR RPG materials and family boardgames. Both are of a similar range, Fair to Mint. However, with 6000+ boardgames and 3000+ RPG items, it's impossible to categorize them neatly by condition.

They're sorted by size, if you were wondering...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:17 am 

Mint/Sealed with a few maybe in NM condition.  Not really interested in obtaining opened copies to messaround with, if anything id just buy the pdf if i wanted to read it (takes up much less space  :wink: )

"What can I get for $10?"

"Mint Rare and Shrinkwrapped-just pick that bar of soap up for us pls, we love you long time!"

YIM  

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:05 am 

A vast majority of my collection is NM. All of them are SW/bagged, boarded, and most are stored in a temperature and humidity controlled storage "vault". Some of the older and rarer items are of varying condition but very few are worse than F/VF. What isn't in NM, I'm looking to upgrade. Miniatures are a different story. Most non-TSR miniatures are loose in containers/boxes. TSR miniatures are mostly carded or in original boxes.

Like quite a few of the early collectors, some of my earlier items are in worse shape, suffering from "shelf wear", simply because I wasn't as interested in them as collectibles at the time. I removed a lot of items from SW just so they were readily available. :( Later, I started to at least bag and board them once I removed them from the SW. Unfortunately PDFs were not available then so, if you wanted to read something you owned, you had to read the original or make a copy if you could.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:11 am 

ExTSR wrote:6000+ boardgames...

Those portable holes come in mighty handy eh?  8O  Just how many different versions of Candy Land can one person have?  :wink:

Seriously though, of all the boardgames you have have which one is the rarest and which one do you cherish the most?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:54 am 

Real hard to say. I like the old McLoughlin Bros items from the 1880s/90s, but the WWII era items are in fact rarer. The really old Monopoly sets from the '30s are fairly standard any more... :/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 11:22 am 

I'd say on average my collection is probably in 'fine' condition.  

I suppose I've been lucky in that most of the stuff I bought as a kid survived reasonably well despite spending 10+ years in a backpack and going almost everywhere with me.  They've got rounded corners and some cover wear but they're all tight and have all the pages (with no writing or staining).  

The only stuff that I really consider to be in poor condition are my D&D Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, Immortal, Star Frontiers boxed sets, and my Monsterous Compendium.  The boxed sets are are all taped up, and some of the covers have come unattached.  My box for the Master rules is completely missing as it was cut up for use in a science project.  Of course the character sheet in the basic rules is filled out, including a very embarrasing coat of arms.

The Monsterous Compendium binders were just pieces of junk that fell apart almost immediately upon leaving the store.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:02 pm 

NetRodent wrote:I suppose I've been lucky in that most of the stuff I bought as a kid survived reasonably well despite spending 10+ years in a backpack and going almost everywhere with me. They've got rounded corners and some cover wear but they're all tight and have all the pages (with no writing or staining).

I know what you mean.  When my family would go on vacation, I would put my hardback rule books along with a few modules in a backpack and take them with me.  Over the years they built up quite a bit of damage due to rubbing together.  My copies of Queen of the Spiders, Temple of Elemental Evil, and Scourge of the Slavelords have probably the most wear because they are well-used.  I have a few multiple copies of modules such as B2 and Ravenloft.  At some point I will have to pick up some nice minty copies of the supermodules to replace the ones I have.  I really dont want to pay $100 apiece for them though.  :x   Who knows, maybe I'll pull a bclarkie and get them for a nice $20 BIN.

Yeah right....and maybe WotC will convert Dark Sun to 3rd edition.  :roll:

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:26 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:Yeah right....and maybe WotC will convert Dark Sun to 3rd edition. :roll:

It could happen and Mystara would be soon to follow I bet..
Why do I punish myself :cry:

ShaneG.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:57 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Real hard to say. I like the old McLoughlin Bros items from the 1880s/90s, but the WWII era items are in fact rarer. The really old Monopoly sets from the '30s are fairly standard any more... :/

Wow, those sound really cool... do you know of any good sites that discuss and/or have pics of those old-time games?  That would be fascinating to learn about...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:11 pm 

Malloy's book American Games is decent on the McLoughlins and has a few (not most) of the WWII and Monopoly.

Games of WWII seem to be underappreciated and not catalogued.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:15 pm 

(OT)
ExTSR wrote:Malloy's book American Games is decent on the McLoughlins and has a few (not most) of the WWII and Monopoly.

Sounds like interesting reading, Frank!

There's quite a good international cross-section on Monopoly over at http://www.muurkrant.nl/monopoly/country_index.htm , with some eBay prices listed, too (inevitable, should I say...). The UK page is definitely good reading.

I particularly liked the unauthorised Chinese Smurf edition; http://www.muurkrant.nl/monopoly/china1.htm

ExTSR wrote:Games of WWII seem to be underappreciated and not catalogued.

Underappreciated for sure. And those that used to turn up in "junk shops" over here in the 70s have vanished for ever, it seems.

Active Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:44 pm 

Items in my collection generally range from VG to FN.  NM and shrinks are nice to get but to me the most important things are that the pages are attached and there's no writing or highlighting inside.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:13 pm 

I voted middle of the road because I'm a strict grader and my collection is definitely not world class.

Condition is important but I realize it's not as important to me as a lot of people. I'd love to have a load of SW/NM items but the pocket book can't be divided up so readily between collecting and basic needs and wants of my loved ones.

I have some gems but I care more about an item being complete and in good condition than I do it's long term upside.

I'm more of a "my favorites" kind of guy. I try to find perfect copies of my favorite items and the above for the rest.

After unpacking and performing inventory I found my collection in better condition than I originally thought. I vote F/VF now.

Active Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:26 pm 

ExTSR wrote:But I also collect non-TSR RPG materials and family boardgames. Both are of a similar range, Fair to Mint. However, with 6000+ boardgames and 3000+ RPG items, it's impossible to categorize them neatly by condition.

They're sorted by size, if you were wondering...

Wow.

And thanks, I was wondering.

PreviousNext