Poll:  What condition is your collection in?
Poll: What is your collection's average condition?

NM (or better) 17%       17%  [ 8 ]
Fine/Very Fine 45%       45%  [ 21 ]
Good/Very Good 28%       28%  [ 13 ]
Fair 9%       9%  [ 4 ]
VGC! 2%       2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 47

Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:32 pm 

My collection suffers greatly from both my obsessive need to find printing minutia and my non-infinite supply of cash.  

Just wondering how everyone's collection stacks up...but no longer literally, I finally obtained a bookshelf.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:54 pm 

It is getting better day by day but for now Fine/Very Fine will have to do.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 11:45 pm 

I have had everything in a bookcase for awhile now.  I finally got around to putting all of my modules and supplements in protective bags.  Now I need another bookcase to put the rest of my things in.  Dont have any NM stuff though.  What's the point of buying a shrinkwrapped item....I am just gonna take it off anyway.  :twisted:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:14 am 

With the exception of a few recent additions (the three somewhat rare 1e true-1st hardbacks I picked up by chance at a local used bookstore) and my older copy of Supplement I: Greyhawk (which I got autographed by Rob Kuntz & Gary Gygax), most if not all of my D&D stuff is for gaming with as well as oohing and aah-ing over.  That's not to say if, for example, a woodgrain OD&D box fell out of the sky into my hands I'd say "oh, cool, another set of working books" and take 'em to my next road game.  I recognize the ultra rare stuff for what it is and treat accordingly.

But the majority of it is in rough 'n ready condition.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:18 am 

All of my newer old stuff is in very good condition or better. The stuuf that has survived the years is either fair (due to good use), or fine (cause the module/book stank).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:25 am 

That's very hard. My collection is in PDF.

This week I've been mostly eating . . . The white ones with the little red flecks in them.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:42 am 

I'm a bit obsessive about condition and I try and get things in the best condition I can.  Most of my stuff is VF or NM.  Unless it is for playing.  Then it is battered to bits.  :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:52 am 

I voted NM. :)   I would say that at least 80% of my collection is either VF or NM with a large portion of unopened items.  WIth that being said, my previous stated goal is to try to get 2 of everything that I want 1 NM and unopened(assuming it actually was sold that way  :wink: ) and 1 NM opened.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:40 pm 

Zippanthropus wrote:All of my newer old stuff is in very good condition or better. The stuuf that has survived the years is either fair (due to good use), or fine (cause the module/book stank).

About the same here. The items that I have owned for years either have been used in play or they haven't. In the former case, then they are rather worn, especially the hardbounds, which are not so "hard"-bound (and some duplicates are beginning to show up in my bookshelf); in the latter, they are from very fine to as good as new.

On the other hand, items I've acquired recently use to be in excellent condition, and if possible in shrinkwrap, too. However, I am placing everything I don't use for play in protective bags.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:13 pm 

VGC!  I know some rather well known dealer who's whole collection of 10,000 items per month is all that kind of shape  :twisted:

:P  :P  :lol:  :lol:
J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 2:57 pm 

k... Could the other four people who responded along with Brian clarify as to whether they more than one item in their collection, or else have a huge roll of perfect M+ modules stashed away in their room (i.e. factory-fresh paper unsullied by the printed word).

=
@Deimos: Would've been interesting to have seen the results of this poll w/o F/VF and G/VG lumped in together.

(Darn... I should've selected VGC... :D)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:07 pm 

faro wrote:k... Could the other four people who responded along with Brian clarify as to whether they more than one item in their collection, or else have a huge roll of perfect M+ modules stashed away in their room (i.e. factory-fresh rolls of paper unsullied by the printed word).

=
@Deimos: Would've been interesting to have seen the results of this poll w/o F/VF and G/VG lumped in together.

(Darn... I should've selected VGC... :D)

In retrospect, I didn't divide it up so well. I really should have reworded the question, anyway: How important a factor is condition to you?

Like everyone else, I try to get the highest grade stuff I can, but it isn't a major concern to me. (I very recently picked up a GDQ1-7 for $25, because it had some staining and a fairly serious cigarette wound, which got me thinking...)

Regarding "average" -- assume modal average, not mean.   :wink: (If anyone claims the mean condition of their collection is NM+, it's probably not true, as faro alluded.)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:43 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:Regarding "average" -- assume modal average, not mean. :wink:

Yeah, I was wondering how many people would go with VG rather than F or VF, if done on that basis.

Even VF (as most frequently occurring grade) sounds like a pretty tough task for a large collection.
Hence the interest...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:27 pm 

My stuff runs the gamut in grades.  Most of it though isn't terribly rare or valuable, so condition isn't of utmost importance.  Of the three items I would consider scarce, one is VF/NM (LUG Dune), the second F/VF (1st print DDG), the third P (water and mildew damage on the last five pages and back cover of Warriors of Mars).

I do my best to take care of my books, for books are inordinately precious, period.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:46 pm 

It's also very difficult to upgrade things from the VF area to the NM area when your only shopping outlet is e-Bay. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it falls well short of giving an absolute certainty with regards to the highest ends of grading scales. I end up accumulating way too many VF items in my quest for a NM or better item.

Me mum's coming to visit in august, so I need to hide all of my redundant items. If she spots for example, my near critical mass of Players Handbooks (~50), she'll grab me by the ear and drag me bum to the nearest psychologist.

I'd have given up long ago, but I have acquired three books that I would call "Mint" with no reservations.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:15 pm 

Condition is a trivia question to me.  So long as the binding is intact, and the cover is not absolutely ruined, I am happy to have a copy.  I do have some very good condition items, but I almost dread shrinkwrap...which means I cannot enjoy the publication...and therefore do not really own it.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:20 pm 

[pedants corner...]

should this not be:

"in what condition is your collection?"

8O  :wink:

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:08 pm 

My VERY modest stash is actually in decent shape for the most part, especially considering the fact that my "collection" consists mostly of the stuff I bought back in the day and used to  game with.  I tend to treat books, even game books I use frequently, very gently.  So even the ones I used for all those years are in pretty decent condition.  They're all packed neatly away in a travel trunk in my closet, and seem to be holding up okay stored this way.

The only items I have that are really trashed and could use replacing are my 1st Ed PHB, which wasn't mine originally, and is badly mauled and dogeared, and my Basic D&D red softcover rulebook, which saw alot of use and is also missing some pages.   :cry:

Next