I GOT ONE!  I GOT ONE!  I FINALLY GOT ONE!
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:41 pm 

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1

WOO-HOO!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:45 pm 

It's always nice to see someone score an item that's been on their list for a while, or to bag something that has great personal value.

So, I'll add a WOOT! Image

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:13 pm 

*looks totally clueless on minis*

Heh, heh, congrats, anyhow! :D
Ya gonna do a proper paint job on that, then? :)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:17 pm 

faro wrote:*looks totally clueless on minis*

Heh, heh, congrats, anyhow! :D
Ya gonna do a proper paint job on that, then? :)

Oh yes!  This one will be a centerpiece (of my mini collection that is - while my wife is a gamer geek too, I doubt if this would go over well at dinner!).

It isn't so much that it has some huge value, I just always wanted one of these from the time I saw 'em for sale at Zayre's department store Back In The Day(TM).

Gosh I am SO happy!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:34 pm 

DungeonDelver wrote:Oh yes! This one will be a centerpiece (of my mini collection that is - while my wife is a gamer geek too, I doubt if this would go over well at dinner!).

Hey, that's affordable compared with.... oh, whatever gifts husbands buy for their wives these days :)

DungeonDelver wrote:It isn't so much that it has some huge value, I just always wanted one of these from the time I saw 'em for sale at Zayre's department store Back In The Day(TM).

Ah... now that is a context that makes a win special!

Enjoy the painting! :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:03 pm 

I remember having that set. It's pretty neat! I'll have to pick up the next one that comes along.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:04 pm 

It says it comes with jewels, which is rare. Usually those are missing. I believe there are 5 small colored ones and a diamond the size of Odin's left nut.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:06 pm 

That's a great set, and you got it for a good price.  Congrats on that one.  I've been trying to find one for a while myself.  Well done!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:59 pm 

Have fun painting that one.  Collecting the stuff you SHOULD have had as a kid is the best part of being old enough to be your own dad.

Mark      :lol:  :lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:29 am 

Almost as rewarding as re-collecting the stuff you DID have when you were a kid, but sold for a pittance to buy cider and smokes!!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:45 pm 

otherworld wrote:Almost as rewarding as re-collecting the stuff you DID have when you were a kid, but sold for a pittance to buy cider and smokes!!!

...or that your overzealous parents 'relieved' you of because of poor school grades  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

But by gum, I got it. :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:46 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I remember having that set. It's pretty neat! I'll have to pick up the next one that comes along.

Welp keep your eyes peeled, mang.  This is like the fourth one in six or seven months I've seen go thru; they're out there and folks are unloading 'em.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:09 pm 

DungeonDelver wrote:...or that your overzealous parents 'relieved' you of because of poor school grades :roll: :roll: :roll:

I think my mom would've done the same had she not seen d&d got me into reading, and as a teacher she was hard-pressed to fault that (thought as a devoted christian she wanted to get rid of it) so I managed to not loss the collection, somehow. :)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:15 pm 

I am amazed that my devout parents allowed D&D games on their dining room table for three years of high school.  Aside from dominating the entire house from 7:00 to midnight, it also involved guys yelling about killing each other and magic and everything.

I guess my parents were wiser than I gave them credit for. :?

Mark

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:18 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:I guess my parents were wiser than I gave them credit for. :?

Or gave up on worrying.  :P

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 4:18 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:
DungeonDelver wrote:...or that your overzealous parents 'relieved' you of because of poor school grades :roll: :roll: :roll:

I think my mom would've done the same had she not seen d&d got me into reading, and as a teacher she was hard-pressed to fault that (thought as a devoted christian she wanted to get rid of it) so I managed to not loss the collection, somehow. :)

My parents had a strange dichotomy; they never restricted my reading - I was reading (and understanding) Tolkien from age 6, along with many many pulp SF authors as well as "children's" books, but D&D freaked them out for some reason.

I think the chief problem was due to the whole paranoia of the time coupled with the other people who gamed that they knew of, namely a bunch of psychos who had no business playing RPGs in the first place...!

Anyway.  That was...err, about twenty five years ago so I still win. ;)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:53 pm 

Video games with fantasy themes, as well as a brace of excellent fantasy movies based upon great literature have softened the public view of fantasy.  Also, the psycho stories are two decades gone and millions of role-players are now parents.  When you figure that only a fraction of gamer boys married gamer girls that makes a large percentage of families with at least one gamer parent.  Things change.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 12:35 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:I remember having that set. It's pretty neat! I'll have to pick up the next one that comes along.

There's one up right now Deadlord along with some other Grenadier AD&D figs. Looks like all but the biggest "diamond" is missing though (but the box looks complete). Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Big-set-of-vintag ... dZViewItem