TOTALLY OT....
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:17 pm 

Deadlord39 wrote:At a quick glance, it looks like #674 in the first picture has an enlarged copy of Your Paladin Has Benn Stolen By Druids hanging off him.

lol thats the roadbook that you get chummer, so you dont get lost :)

Alan

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:25 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:hey peeps, yeah am ok sorta, still very dejected, but hey it wasnt my fault so...

Sheesh.  Where's the frickin' cleric when you need him?  Still, a very valiant effort.  Better luck next time!

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:56 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:just so it wont bog down ppl's downloading if they dont wanna see the pics, i will just post the links to see ok:

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b6/ki ... resize.jpg

(the last one is where i pulled my groin - right at the bottom of it so i had to climb that mother still!! )

there were more hills like that too, but gives you a good idea.

i have loads of other pics forthcoming so will pop em on as soon as ...

Al

Hiya Al, good to have you back. :)   Sorry to hear that things didn't go as you planned, but at least you are home in one piece(for the most part).  Man looking at thos pictures cretainly put that marathon in a whole new light for me, I figured you at least be running on a concrete roadway or something. I knew that you were going to be running through the desert, but geez I had no clue you would be running through the middle of the desert. 8O   I am sure that once you have time to reflect upon it all you will realize that even though you weren't able to finish the whole race that you still did try it, which is a hell of a lot more than most people can say.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:20 am 

What was the purpose of the bags on your legs?  Protection from the sun?  Protection from scratches?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:42 am 

MShipley88 wrote:What was the purpose of the bags on your legs?  Protection from the sun?  Protection from scratches?

Mark   8)

mark

they are hand-made gaiters.

they are basically to protect your feet from sand getting in. if it gets in - your feet get totally trashed. if you walk down the street when its hot, your feet get sweaty. across the sand, in 40+C temps and sand going in your shoes while youre running/walking 30 miles, the effect can be rather drastic....thats why you wear them.

there are many different types. some have them actually stitched onto  your running shoes!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:08 am 

killjoy32 wrote:there are many different types. some have them actually stitched onto your running shoes!

Those sound like a good idea, to be honest!

Yeah, that sand seriously gets everywhere if given half-a-chance and the friction damage is bad enough even for short distances (10-15 miles?) at low temperatures.

=
Oh, I love the photo of that part of the race where the shoot a laser beam at anyone who ain't 'up to speed'.

:lol:

=
So when's that 'Escape from Dune' module coming out then?
i.e. How did y'all get back, Al...?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:01 am 

faro wrote:So when's that 'Escape from Dune' module coming out then?
i.e. How did y'all get back, Al...?

thats what they put near the end of day 4, so that you can see where the finish is, as most are likely still out there in the dark.

sadly i didnt get far and my mate did that one in 11.5 hours (walked the whole way) - they shortened the stage the to bar weather conditions making it dangerous for the competitors (chopped off 15km and two really difficult parts of the stage).

i will be writing up the adventure on how we got home soon. just not got my head onto it yet. still pretty down about having to drop out  :?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:05 am 

Al,

Let me 1st say I think you are completely mad :wink:

Being a runner and living in a country where the weather in summer regularly gets over 30deg I would have had serious doubts about doing the race in the conditions you experienced this year.

killjoy32 wrote:i will be writing up the adventure on how we got home soon. just not got my head onto it yet. still pretty down about having to drop out  :?

Al

The fact that you put the effort required into getting to the race makes you a winner in my book.  Injuries happen to the best athletes.  Chalk it up to experience and start training for the next one!

Now, if you want to do some training for next years event in a warmer climate.  Feel free to come to Australia ... I hear it is a great place for a holiday.

Take care and good luck!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 10:20 am 

There'd be plenty of offers for accommodation from both coasts if you did come to OZ.

We could give you a few nice places to stay up north where the weather really hots up (40oC+).

At least the high temps prevent a lot of mould in the collections. :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:38 pm 

I'm picturing the Alice Springs Outback Game Shoppe...with aborigines coming in to ask, "Aye, wot, mate?  Got any o' those Spidah Queen blokes a-bowt.  Fair dinkum they are!"  (Possibly with pages from Dragon magazine blowing down the street pursued by dingos.)   :wink:

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:42 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:I'm picturing the Alice Springs Outback Game Shoppe...with aborigines coming in to ask, "Aye, wot, mate?  Got any o' those Spidah Queen blokes a-bowt.  Fair dinkum they are!"  (Possibly with pages from Dragon magazine blowing down the street pursued by dingos.)   :wink:

Mark   8)

just mentioned OZ to mand and the kids "oh good can we go?" er yeah right. cant do a feckin thing these days without all the shadows following :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:00 pm 

Those are the joys of growing up and having responsibilities and  things...they cast shadows.   :?

Mark   8)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:28 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Those are the joys of growing up and having responsibilities and  things...they cast shadows.   :?

Mark   8)

well i learnt a few weeks ago really that even if you train in the same heat, its not the same when you are in the sahara. i had that first hand from ppl who had even done some training like that.

nothing whatsoever actually prepares you for that. you just train as best you can and take the rest on the chin.

ah well

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:10 am 

killjoy32 wrote:well i learnt a few weeks ago really that even if you train in the same heat, its not the same when you are in the sahara. i had that first hand from ppl who had even done some training like that.

nothing whatsoever actually prepares you for that. you just train as best you can and take the rest on the chin.

Yes,  but you are forgeting that we have the Gibson, Great Sandy, Great Victoria, Simpson and Sturt Stony Deserts which are also calssed as  subtropical deserts like the Sahara.  They should do quite nicely in helping with your preparations.

Plus if you like, a nice jog across the Nullarbor should ensure that you have no problems with the Sahara. :wink:

At the same time you can send the shadows off to some great holiday spots.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:32 am 

Alan,

Good to have you back!  Sorry things did not work out the way you wanted. :cry:

I would say that in this race you represented yourself quite well.  Way to gutt it out.  But always best to stop before permanent injury sets in.

I know your not feeling great about your experience now, but that will change.  Congrats on this accomplishment (and yes, it is an accomplishment).

Martin

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:38 am 

improvstone wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:well i learnt a few weeks ago really that even if you train in the same heat, its not the same when you are in the sahara. i had that first hand from ppl who had even done some training like that.

Yes,  but you are forgeting that we have the Gibson, Great Sandy, Great Victoria, Simpson and Sturt Stony Deserts which are also calssed as  subtropical deserts like the Sahara.  They should do quite nicely in helping with your preparations.

Plus if you like, a nice jog across the Nullarbor should ensure that you have no problems with the Sahara. :wink:

At the same time you can send the shadows off to some great holiday spots.

Or kill two birds, and go jogging around Fraser Island. :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:18 am 

50,000th Acaeum post!  What do I win?  :D

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:23 am 

deimos3428 wrote:50,000th Acaeum post!  What do I win?  :D

A trip to Frasier Island to be chased by wild Dingos  ....  :lol:

PreviousNext