TOTALLY OT....
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:53 pm 

faro wrote:
otherworld wrote:If the mileage isn't daunting enough, you have to eat all those Pot Noodles!  Jesus!

I'm with you on that, Richard! Hadn't counted quite how many Pot Noodles were in there...

Good luck with your digestion, Al! [ Image ]

well if you can suggest something else that has v.high carbs and v.high calories and you can just add boiling water to, to eat, then hey i am all ears :)

and anyway, it wont be in my system that long, cos like 12 or so hrs later, the foodie contents will be getting the shit burned out of it :D

remember its the size of the food too and the weight of it. pot noodles are pretty much the highest content per weight.

as i say, i am all ears if you can think something up fast.

i am just sat here somewhat flummoxed atm, as all my gear doesnt fit into my pack, so some readjusting is gonna be needed, along with losing some of the food too :(

gonna have to sacrifice some gear as well.

*sigh*

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:05 pm 

Dunno... I might've suggested porrage oats to replace some of that (low glycemic index and all that jazz, too), but you Southerners might be expecting to make that up with milk and sugar. *g*

killjoy32 wrote:and anyway, it wont be in my system that long, cos like 12 or so hrs later, the foodie contents will be getting the shit burned out of it :D

:)

killjoy32 wrote:i am just sat here somewhat flummoxed atm, as all my great doesnt fit into my pack, so some readjusting is gonna be needed, along with losing some of the food too :(

Or get a very slightly bigger pack... if you're OK running with that current one?

Did you list your gear, before? How many changes of clothes d'you have in there? (Arctic fleeces not required, I'm sure :D)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:09 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:well if you can suggest something else that has v.high carbs and v.high calories and you can just add boiling water to, to eat, then hey i am all ears :)

and anyway, it wont be in my system that long, cos like 12 or so hrs later, the foodie contents will be getting the shit burned out of it :D

remember its the size of the food too and the weight of it. pot noodles are pretty much the highest content per weight.

as i say, i am all ears if you can think something up fast.

i am just sat here somewhat flummoxed atm, as all my great doesnt fit into my pack, so some readjusting is gonna be needed, along with losing some of the food too :(

I don't know squat about diet/exercise, so feel free to ignore this advice.  

It looks very much like you're eating almost the same thing each day, and it all looks duly healthy.  

If you can, try to squeeze in room for something (very small) that's incredibly bad for you, but tastes good.  It will help your mental fortitude, which you'll probably need when you are second-guessing yourself halfway through the adventure.  

I'm betting this journey will test your mind as much as your body, and you have my respect, man.  I know I couldn't do it.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:27 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:If you can, try to squeeze in room for something (very small) that's incredibly bad for you, but tastes good.  It will help your mental fortitude, which you'll probably need when you are second-guessing yourself halfway through the adventure.

Had been thinking that, then I saw the Skittles. Seems like a smart choice, even if those will probably be getting a bit "samey" after a few days!

deimos3428 wrote:I'm betting this journey will test your mind as much as your body, and you have my respect, man.  I know I couldn't do it.

And compass reading skills whilst running? :)

*nods and agrees w/Deimos*. Even reading that list of rules is almost too much for me!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:01 pm 

Wow...Most I ever ran was 12 miles in the Army. I have been running since I was 13 (Almost 30 years ago) and I can tell you I have never attempted anything like that. What an awesome and inspiring event.

Best of luck.

In the desert, too. Crap, that is tough. I spent two months in the Sinai and running there was a killer.

I think I'll lace up tonight and run a couple...just because you have inspired me.

Regards, Bill

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Prolific Collector
Subweb Admin
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:54 pm 

Good luck with the marathon, Al! Take it easy on those knees.  :D

Waterdeep? Never heard of it.

-Factol Pentar, Doomguard

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:06 am 

faro wrote:Dunno... I might've suggested porrage oats to replace some of that (low glycemic index and all that jazz, too), but you Southerners might be expecting to make that up with milk and sugar. *g*

killjoy32 wrote:and anyway, it wont be in my system that long, cos like 12 or so hrs later, the foodie contents will be getting the shit burned out of it :D

killjoy32 wrote:i am just sat here somewhat flummoxed atm, as all my great doesnt fit into my pack, so some readjusting is gonna be needed, along with losing some of the food too :(

Or get a very slightly bigger pack... if you're OK running with that current one?

Did you list your gear, before? How many changes of clothes d'you have in there? (Arctic fleeces not required, I'm sure :D)

i was tempted to go with them small packs of oats you can get now, but i tried them out and half way thru the day i was getting really bad indigestion, so gave them up as a bad idea really. its gonna be hard enough without having to cope with that too....the jordans country tropical mix that i am taking has just the right thing in it that an athlete needs as the carbs in it are the type that stays in your body so i can burn it, rather than just immediately turn to fat and its no feckin use :)

no chance of swapping packs now. just isnt even a feasible idea, cos you have to get used to a new one...can take days to weeks to do that, depending on how you take to it and how good your bod is to adjusting to things like that (my current pack, took about a week to get used to).

havent had time to list equipment yet, but will list it anyway (as i have to) prb later tonight.

as for clothing, this is it:

2 running tops (one long sleeve, one short sleeve)
2 pairs of shorts
2 pairs of thorlos running socks
1 pair of bottoms - base layer for keeping warm

and thats um about it. bar for a desert cap and 2 buffs...

:D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:11 am 

deimos3428 wrote:I don't know squat about diet/exercise, so feel free to ignore this advice.  

It looks very much like you're eating almost the same thing each day, and it all looks duly healthy.  

If you can, try to squeeze in room for something (very small) that's incredibly bad for you, but tastes good.  It will help your mental fortitude, which you'll probably need when you are second-guessing yourself halfway through the adventure.  

I'm betting this journey will test your mind as much as your body, and you have my respect, man.  I know I couldn't do it.

hehe hey deim believe me, this stuff i am eating is INCREDIBLY bad for you. shit man, if i eat all this on a regular basis at home, i would look like a ball or lard in a month! :D i discarded the "oh this is good for you" stuff ages ago, in place of things that i like, and thats pretty much what i have kept to. i dont need for it to be good for me, i need the calories!! :)

yes indeed, you are quite right. this isnt about how fit you are or how good you are at running, its about how much strength you have inside you. this is a true test of everything about you in ways you cant possibly imagine. i have a huge heart and i am very determined and it will take something and then some to stop me. but in the end, i will give it all i have.

but thankyou for the kind words - it is much appreciated!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:13 am 

bbarsh wrote:Wow...Most I ever ran was 12 miles in the Army. I have been running since I was 13 (Almost 30 years ago) and I can tell you I have never attempted anything like that. What an awesome and inspiring event.

Best of luck.

In the desert, too. Crap, that is tough. I spent two months in the Sinai and running there was a killer.

I think I'll lace up tonight and run a couple...just because you have inspired me.

Regards, Bill

heheh :) well its funny you should say that actually, cos i have had quite a few ppl say to me that this has inspired them to do things of their own and i think thats really cool!

sometimes, thats all someone needs, is a little kick to get going and if what i am doing, achieves that for others, then hey, thats superb!! :)

and yes, the heat is about the one thing i havent been able to emulate in training so thats going to be the telling factor of all thats for sure...not only that, but the sudden change to freezing cold too.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:14 am 

Azurah wrote:Good luck with the marathon, Al! Take it easy on those knees.  :D

thankyou!!! well the left knee is a little sore right now so its getting well rested!

good luck with the planescape stuff. will have a look at it when i get back and let you know!

Alan

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:13 am 

Hey Alan,

I know it is almost time for your trek through the desert.  I wanted to say good luck to you.  Been following you on myspace.

Cannot wait to hear all about it.

Martin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:46 am 

Prufrock wrote:Hey Alan,

I know it is almost time for your trek through the desert.  I wanted to say good luck to you.  Been following you on myspace.

Cannot wait to hear all about it.

Martin

hey martin!

cheers man :) i havent updated that in a few days, due to simply not having any time to do so. weekend was with the kids, so all my time was for them pretty much and now its packing and sorting things and still no time :( i will try and update it before i go, but realistically, its quite a ways down on my priority list right now :)

i am hopefully gonna fit in a little notepad, so i can jot some notes when i get a chance, to allow me to write it all up at the end. one way or the other, i imagine it will be a very interesting read to all :)

thanks once again (and to everyone really) for the very kind words of support.

Alan

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:21 am 

hey peeps!

right am just off for a shower and then do a few things then i am off to the airport.

this will be my last post now until about the 18th/19th!!!

thankyou ALL for your kind words and support that has been shown all the way through this and i can only hope that all things go well!!!

take care y'all and have fun winning things i cant now bid on *grrrrr*

AL

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:24 am 

killjoy32 wrote:hey peeps!

right am just off for a shower and then do a few things then i am off to the airport.

this will be my last post now until about the 18th/19th!!!

thankyou ALL for your kind words and support that has been shown all the way through this and i can only hope that all things go well!!!

take care y'all and have fun winning things i cant now bid on *grrrrr*

AL

In honor of your run I'm going to also run...from my car to the doughnut shop tomorrow morning for three cinnamon twists and a large milk.  GO AL GO!!!!!!

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:31 am 

Better make that more like a "slow trot", Mike.   :lol:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:44 pm 

Erm, TOUGH first day for Al, it seems.

Alive, but oh boy, I didn't like the look of the overview of weather, etc., on the front page; http://www.darbaroud.com/uk/index_uk.php

After day 1, Al's in 616th place out of 676 "survivors"... :?

Have just sent him a note, anyhow... Am sure he would appreciate some more support from the sidelines (I think they circulate those notes every morning (*must check*), so now might be a good time! ;))
=> http://www.darbaroud.com/fr/html/mds/ge ... ecrire.php (competitor number 635)

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 8:08 am 

"Dry and sunny, windstorm begins early afternoon"

ouch.

I think he is right to start off slow - I wouldn't want to push myself too fast too early.  Have dropped him a message.

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:40 pm 

As a former runner and current cyclist, I've done my share of endurance events ... but I draw the line at windstorms in the middle of some forsaken desert. :)

Gotta remember to drop Al a line tonight ...

PreviousNext