TOTALLY OT....
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 6 of 11123, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 91011
Author

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:42 pm 
 

MShipley88 wrote:I'm picturing the Alice Springs Outback Game Shoppe...with aborigines coming in to ask, "Aye, wot, mate?  Got any o' those Spidah Queen blokes a-bowt.  Fair dinkum they are!"  (Possibly with pages from Dragon magazine blowing down the street pursued by dingos.)   :wink:

Mark   8)


just mentioned OZ to mand and the kids "oh good can we go?" er yeah right. cant do a feckin thing these days without all the shadows following :)

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2020

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:00 pm 
 

Those are the joys of growing up and having responsibilities and  things...they cast shadows.   :?

Mark   8)


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:28 am 
 

MShipley88 wrote:Those are the joys of growing up and having responsibilities and  things...they cast shadows.   :?

Mark   8)


well i learnt a few weeks ago really that even if you train in the same heat, its not the same when you are in the sahara. i had that first hand from ppl who had even done some training like that.

nothing whatsoever actually prepares you for that. you just train as best you can and take the rest on the chin.

ah well

Al



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1097
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 08, 2021
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:10 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:well i learnt a few weeks ago really that even if you train in the same heat, its not the same when you are in the sahara. i had that first hand from ppl who had even done some training like that.

nothing whatsoever actually prepares you for that. you just train as best you can and take the rest on the chin.


Yes,  but you are forgeting that we have the Gibson, Great Sandy, Great Victoria, Simpson and Sturt Stony Deserts which are also calssed as  subtropical deserts like the Sahara.  They should do quite nicely in helping with your preparations.

Plus if you like, a nice jog across the Nullarbor should ensure that you have no problems with the Sahara. :wink:

At the same time you can send the shadows off to some great holiday spots.

 WWW  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1787
Joined: Apr 26, 2005
Last Visit: Aug 04, 2020
Location: Indianapolis

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:32 am 
 

Alan,

Good to have you back!  Sorry things did not work out the way you wanted. :cry:

I would say that in this race you represented yourself quite well.  Way to gutt it out.  But always best to stop before permanent injury sets in.

I know your not feeling great about your experience now, but that will change.  Congrats on this accomplishment (and yes, it is an accomplishment).

Martin

  


Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1043
Joined: Jan 06, 2004
Last Visit: Jul 01, 2020
Location: Leicester, UK

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:38 am 
 

improvstone wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:well i learnt a few weeks ago really that even if you train in the same heat, its not the same when you are in the sahara. i had that first hand from ppl who had even done some training like that.

nothing whatsoever actually prepares you for that. you just train as best you can and take the rest on the chin.


Yes,  but you are forgeting that we have the Gibson, Great Sandy, Great Victoria, Simpson and Sturt Stony Deserts which are also calssed as  subtropical deserts like the Sahara.  They should do quite nicely in helping with your preparations.

Plus if you like, a nice jog across the Nullarbor should ensure that you have no problems with the Sahara. :wink:

At the same time you can send the shadows off to some great holiday spots.

Or kill two birds, and go jogging around Fraser Island. :wink:

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:18 am 
 

50,000th Acaeum post!  What do I win?  :D

 YIM  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1097
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 08, 2021
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:23 am 
 

deimos3428 wrote:50,000th Acaeum post!  What do I win?  :D


A trip to Frasier Island to be chased by wild Dingos  ....  :lol:

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:28 am 
 

improvstone wrote:Plus if you like, a nice jog across the Nullarbor should ensure that you have no problems with the Sahara. :wink:

At the same time you can send the shadows off to some great holiday spots.


well its a "think about" option for the months to come anyway. i have the appointment thursday to hopefully resolve a few niggly problems, then its back to training. i will be adjusting my whole training schedule anyway, to include 50 mile walks, as well as running and hills and allsorts of other things. i learnt the hard way (not just injuries) and wont make the same mistake again.

the next one i can get on isnt til april 2008, so plenty of time to achieve the ends i want to!

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:30 am 
 

Prufrock wrote:Alan,

Good to have you back!  Sorry things did not work out the way you wanted. :cry:

I would say that in this race you represented yourself quite well.  Way to gutt it out.  But always best to stop before permanent injury sets in.

I know your not feeling great about your experience now, but that will change.  Congrats on this accomplishment (and yes, it is an accomplishment).

Martin


well its funny how you reflect on things. i am sat here, even now, saying to myself "maybe i should have just kept going", but then i remember when i was there and it was probably the worst pain i have even put myself through and it kinda puts a different perspective on the reflecting....

well i am up for giving it another bash, so who knows :D

thanks for the kind thoughts anyway - very much appreciated, tho i think it will be months before i truly get over it properly.

:)

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:32 am 
 

improvstone wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:50,000th Acaeum post!  What do I win?  :D


A trip to Frasier Island to be chased by wild Dingos  ....  :lol:


:D :D :D :D

its funny as well, cos most ppl think that sand is sand. i came across so many different types/variations when i was there too. you truly wouldnt believe it tbh. some is easier to traverse than others, some makes your feet hotter and a number of other things too....

truly a strange finding that was!

but far more wiser for the trip and a lot was certainly noted.

Al



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1097
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 08, 2021
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:45 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:well its funny how you reflect on things. i am sat here, even now, saying to myself "maybe i should have just kept going", but then i remember when i was there and it was probably the worst pain i have even put myself through and it kinda puts a different perspective on the reflecting....

well i am up for giving it another bash, so who knows :D



Al, I have no doubt that the experience will make you stronger and smarter. I also have no doubt that in 2008 you will once again tackle the Sahara head on.

As far as ending the race when you did ... IT WAS THE RIGHT CHOICE ... risking a permanent injury would NOT be the right choice.  

P.S. Yep there are lots of different sands ... head up to the northern territory for some red sand which gets in everywhere or over to Queensland for some beaches which are pure white.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:56 am 
 

and i tell you what though, most wont truly appreciate what its like to stand in the middle of a gale-force-5 sandstorm, where you can see about 5 feet in front of you and thats it. not to mention how much it stings wherever it hits constantly. there are even instances where it can go under the skin and it looks like you have a rash. there are many instances of that, tho that didnt happen to me thankfully!

we had one of them on the very first day we were there :)

it was fun watching all the tents being collapsed from within ours, which was built up like fort knox :D

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2020

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:59 am 
 

You want to do this again?


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1097
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 08, 2021
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:06 am 
 

MShipley88 wrote:You want to do this again?


Its OK he took his Salve of Protection Against Sand Storms.  Adds +6 to all saves against skin rashes and lasts for 2 - 4 days.

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 6720
Joined: Jul 16, 2005
Last Visit: Jul 24, 2020

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:09 am 
 

Yes, but that gives no bonus to saves versus jihad!   :D


"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1097
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 08, 2021
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:42 am 
 

Its saves against George DoubleYah Bush and Little Johnnie Howard that I'm worried about  :D

 WWW  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:38 am 
 

MShipley88 wrote:You want to do this again?


absolutely....why not?

its an experience like nothing you can possibly imagine, believe me.

i hate failing at something, so i will go back to square 1, start on the basics and work at it again. this time, i will get it right.

Al



  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 8219
Joined: Jan 21, 2005
Last Visit: Jun 12, 2017
Location: Wallasey, Merseyside, UK

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:41 am 
 

improvstone wrote:
MShipley88 wrote:You want to do this again?


Its OK he took his Salve of Protection Against Sand Storms.  Adds +6 to all saves against skin rashes and lasts for 2 - 4 days.


hey i tell you mike, you need more than that when a real storm blasts up around you. the stinging feeling from the sand blasting at you aint pleasant at all and after like an hour of it, you really dont wanna be there :)

but then thats part of the challenge though i guess. overcoming all adversity. injury got in my way this time, but now i know what to expect, i will prepare for the worst and hopefully not fall foul of the same problems again.

Al



  

User avatar

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 1097
Joined: Aug 14, 2004
Last Visit: Jan 08, 2021
Location: Melbourne, Australia

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 8:36 am 
 

killjoy32 wrote:hey i tell you mike, you need more than that when a real storm blasts up around you. the stinging feeling from the sand blasting at you aint pleasant at all and after like an hour of it, you really dont wanna be there :)


Al, I reckon you should go DM the Desert of Desolation series ... nothing beats real life experience :wink:

killjoy32 wrote:but then thats part of the challenge though i guess. overcoming all adversity. injury got in my way this time, but now i know what to expect, i will prepare for the worst and hopefully not fall foul of the same problems again.


And this is why I reckon you are a winner.  You pushed yourself right to that edge where any further would be suicidal.  Not many people can claim to have done what you have!

 WWW  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 6 of 11123, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 91011