TOTALLY OT....
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:42 pm 

MShipley88 wrote:I'm picturing the Alice Springs Outback Game Shoppe...with aborigines coming in to ask, "Aye, wot, mate?  Got any o' those Spidah Queen blokes a-bowt.  Fair dinkum they are!"  (Possibly with pages from Dragon magazine blowing down the street pursued by dingos.)   :wink:

Mark   8)

just mentioned OZ to mand and the kids "oh good can we go?" er yeah right. cant do a feckin thing these days without all the shadows following :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:00 pm 

Those are the joys of growing up and having responsibilities and  things...they cast shadows.   :?

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 6:28 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Those are the joys of growing up and having responsibilities and  things...they cast shadows.   :?

Mark   8)

well i learnt a few weeks ago really that even if you train in the same heat, its not the same when you are in the sahara. i had that first hand from ppl who had even done some training like that.

nothing whatsoever actually prepares you for that. you just train as best you can and take the rest on the chin.

ah well

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:10 am 

killjoy32 wrote:well i learnt a few weeks ago really that even if you train in the same heat, its not the same when you are in the sahara. i had that first hand from ppl who had even done some training like that.

nothing whatsoever actually prepares you for that. you just train as best you can and take the rest on the chin.

Yes,  but you are forgeting that we have the Gibson, Great Sandy, Great Victoria, Simpson and Sturt Stony Deserts which are also calssed as  subtropical deserts like the Sahara.  They should do quite nicely in helping with your preparations.

Plus if you like, a nice jog across the Nullarbor should ensure that you have no problems with the Sahara. :wink:

At the same time you can send the shadows off to some great holiday spots.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:32 am 

Alan,

Good to have you back!  Sorry things did not work out the way you wanted. :cry:

I would say that in this race you represented yourself quite well.  Way to gutt it out.  But always best to stop before permanent injury sets in.

I know your not feeling great about your experience now, but that will change.  Congrats on this accomplishment (and yes, it is an accomplishment).

Martin

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:38 am 

improvstone wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:well i learnt a few weeks ago really that even if you train in the same heat, its not the same when you are in the sahara. i had that first hand from ppl who had even done some training like that.

Yes,  but you are forgeting that we have the Gibson, Great Sandy, Great Victoria, Simpson and Sturt Stony Deserts which are also calssed as  subtropical deserts like the Sahara.  They should do quite nicely in helping with your preparations.

Plus if you like, a nice jog across the Nullarbor should ensure that you have no problems with the Sahara. :wink:

Or kill two birds, and go jogging around Fraser Island. :wink:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:18 am 

50,000th Acaeum post!  What do I win?  :D

YIM  

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:23 am 

deimos3428 wrote:50,000th Acaeum post!  What do I win?  :D

A trip to Frasier Island to be chased by wild Dingos  ....  :lol:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:28 am 

improvstone wrote:Plus if you like, a nice jog across the Nullarbor should ensure that you have no problems with the Sahara. :wink:

well its a "think about" option for the months to come anyway. i have the appointment thursday to hopefully resolve a few niggly problems, then its back to training. i will be adjusting my whole training schedule anyway, to include 50 mile walks, as well as running and hills and allsorts of other things. i learnt the hard way (not just injuries) and wont make the same mistake again.

the next one i can get on isnt til april 2008, so plenty of time to achieve the ends i want to!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:30 am 

Prufrock wrote:Alan,

Good to have you back!  Sorry things did not work out the way you wanted. :cry:

I would say that in this race you represented yourself quite well.  Way to gutt it out.  But always best to stop before permanent injury sets in.

I know your not feeling great about your experience now, but that will change.  Congrats on this accomplishment (and yes, it is an accomplishment).

Martin

well its funny how you reflect on things. i am sat here, even now, saying to myself "maybe i should have just kept going", but then i remember when i was there and it was probably the worst pain i have even put myself through and it kinda puts a different perspective on the reflecting....

well i am up for giving it another bash, so who knows :D

thanks for the kind thoughts anyway - very much appreciated, tho i think it will be months before i truly get over it properly.

:)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:32 am 

improvstone wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:50,000th Acaeum post!  What do I win?  :D

A trip to Frasier Island to be chased by wild Dingos  ....  :lol:

:D :D :D :D

its funny as well, cos most ppl think that sand is sand. i came across so many different types/variations when i was there too. you truly wouldnt believe it tbh. some is easier to traverse than others, some makes your feet hotter and a number of other things too....

truly a strange finding that was!

but far more wiser for the trip and a lot was certainly noted.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:45 am 

killjoy32 wrote:well its funny how you reflect on things. i am sat here, even now, saying to myself "maybe i should have just kept going", but then i remember when i was there and it was probably the worst pain i have even put myself through and it kinda puts a different perspective on the reflecting....

well i am up for giving it another bash, so who knows :D

Al, I have no doubt that the experience will make you stronger and smarter. I also have no doubt that in 2008 you will once again tackle the Sahara head on.

As far as ending the race when you did ... IT WAS THE RIGHT CHOICE ... risking a permanent injury would NOT be the right choice.  

P.S. Yep there are lots of different sands ... head up to the northern territory for some red sand which gets in everywhere or over to Queensland for some beaches which are pure white.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:56 am 

and i tell you what though, most wont truly appreciate what its like to stand in the middle of a gale-force-5 sandstorm, where you can see about 5 feet in front of you and thats it. not to mention how much it stings wherever it hits constantly. there are even instances where it can go under the skin and it looks like you have a rash. there are many instances of that, tho that didnt happen to me thankfully!

we had one of them on the very first day we were there :)

it was fun watching all the tents being collapsed from within ours, which was built up like fort knox :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:59 am 

You want to do this again?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:06 am 

MShipley88 wrote:You want to do this again?

Its OK he took his Salve of Protection Against Sand Storms.  Adds +6 to all saves against skin rashes and lasts for 2 - 4 days.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:09 am 

Yes, but that gives no bonus to saves versus jihad!   :D

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:42 am 

Its saves against George DoubleYah Bush and Little Johnnie Howard that I'm worried about  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:38 am 

MShipley88 wrote:You want to do this again?

absolutely....why not?

its an experience like nothing you can possibly imagine, believe me.

i hate failing at something, so i will go back to square 1, start on the basics and work at it again. this time, i will get it right.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext