D&D Prepub set auction.
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:01 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy,

bclarkie wrote:Just looking at Paul's feedback and found something interesting:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8732315269

Grrr, how did that slip through. I can't believe that didn't show up on the recent fun finds thread. :?

Ah, that thread just rubs salt into the wound. :twisted: I had been looking for a copy for 10 years! That one just sort of fell into my lap.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Congrats on that Paul. :wink:   I have been looking for that one for awhile too. :wink:  I will have to  keep my eyes peeled a little better next time, I am still learning. :twisted:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:03 pm 

faro wrote:
ExTSR wrote:::snicker::

But I thought the MonsterCard thing was on target.

Over $100 for the cardboard display holder was definitely top-end, IMO, even though that was very tempting indeed! I really don't know why! :D

$131; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8755590256
(holder + 2 SW'd sets of cards) vs.
$14; http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 8729056556
(one set of SW'd cards)

Must admit the SW'd cards are pretty rare, although I'm sure there's still a chance of a whole display box (or two or three) turning up, given the presumed poor sales.
Has anyone seen those in bulk?

My only question about the Monster Card display is where the hell would you put it? :?  Its not like every around here is like I/O who built a whole house around his collection. :twisted:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 9:48 pm 

guerret wrote:
faro wrote:1E?/1M??/1L(V)/2/3/3V/4-/5A?/5B??/5/6(a.b.c.??)/7(a.b.c.??)

Looks like a Perl regular expression.

*g*

Dammit, I missed one, too.
1E?/1M??/1L(V)/2/3/3V/4-V/4-/5A?/5B??/5/6(a.b.c.??)/7(a.b.c.??)

Better...

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:59 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy All,

Aw crud! Well I tell ya', I am not going to auction it. It was a mistake to leave it in the listing. I'll tell you why:

The pre-pub is not on the list, mainly because I think there is about to be a shift. Namely, that these are not pre-pubs but extras given to or cobbled together by employees, sans labels in late 1975.

The boxes themselves, with the woodgrain running vertically, are the same as the TSR 1st and 2nd print Tractics, also produced in late 1975. Sutherland and Kask both had these sets, and they joined TSR in 1975. Rob Kuntz also claims to have one, grabbing an unlabled box cobbled together from parts.

Thus, I would more properly call these post-production seconds and employee copies. These 3 sets in particular were never sold or offered at EasterCon in 1973.  Of course, my evidence is anectdotal from Dave Sutherland and Rob Kuntz and relative regarding the use of verticle grain boxes for 1975 versions of Tractics and, at least, one D&D 1975 2nd print woodgrain. The Kask box provenance, is second hand, although I did see the box in person. Kask and Sutherland both started employment with TSR in late 1975.

I'd hate to sell something for a ton of money to someone only to discover the pre-pub theory fall on it's face the next day. Since it will be likely someone on this site that buys it, I would hate to have such a reversal play out.

I am sorry the set went up on the announcement, I had meant to delete that line.

Futures Bright,

Paul

Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but wanted to get it down and open up the possibility for further discussion...

I recently obtained a really nice 2nd print woodgrain, and the original owner was kind enough to provide me with a very detailed letter of provenance.  It includes fascinating historical information on his purchase of the set directly from Gary, his early D&D group (with 8 players' names and the names of their characters), descriptions of Gary's DM-ing style, etc.

He writes that he purchased the 2nd print woody in March 1975.  Interestingly, he notes that [I'm deleting the name here] "My local DM was ____ ____, and he was using mimeographed or poor quality Xerox copies of the rules in 1973 when I started playing the game.  He and John Lees were into Napoleonics and likely met Gary in 1973.  Our band started playing shortly after that meeting in suburban Chicago."  He then goes on to list the members of the group.

Let mirth prevail!

Previous