D&D Prepub set auction.
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:39 pm 

Alright all, based on the fact that stormber has decided to sell his D&D Prepublication set:

viewtopic.php?p=43290#43290

I was wondering how freaking stupid do you think this is going to get.  Based on the outcome of the last 1st print Woody that sold in excess of $4k what are everones thoughts on this set?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:07 pm 

Howdy All,

Aw crud! Well I tell ya', I am not going to auction it. It was a mistake to leave it in the listing. I'll tell you why:

The pre-pub is not on the list, mainly because I think there is about to be a shift. Namely, that these are not pre-pubs but extras given to or cobbled together by employees, sans labels in late 1975.

The boxes themselves, with the woodgrain running vertically, are the same as the TSR 1st and 2nd print Tractics, also produced in late 1975. Sutherland and Kask both had these sets, and they joined TSR in 1975. Rob Kuntz also claims to have one, grabbing an unlabled box cobbled together from parts.

Thus, I would more properly call these post-production seconds and employee copies. These 3 sets in particular were never sold or offered at EasterCon in 1973.  Of course, my evidence is anectdotal from Dave Sutherland and Rob Kuntz and relative regarding the use of verticle grain boxes for 1975 versions of Tractics and, at least, one D&D 1975 2nd print woodgrain. The Kask box provenance, is second hand, although I did see the box in person. Kask and Sutherland both started employment with TSR in late 1975.

I'd hate to sell something for a ton of money to someone only to discover the pre-pub theory fall on it's face the next day. Since it will be likely someone on this site that buys it, I would hate to have such a reversal play out.

I am sorry the set went up on the announcement, I had meant to delete that line.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:34 pm 

The Collector's Trove wrote:The pre-pub is not on the list, mainly because I think there is about to be a shift. Namely, that these are not pre-pubs but extras given to or cobbled together by employees, sans labels in late 1975.

The boxes themselves, with the woodgrain running vertically, are the same as the TSR 1st and 2nd print Tractics, also produced in late 1975. Sutherland and Kask both had these sets, and they joined TSR in 1975. Rob Kuntz also claims to have one, grabbing an unlabled box cobbled together from parts.

Thus, I would more properly call these post-production seconds and employee copies. These 3 sets in particular were never sold or offered at EasterCon in 1973. Of course, my evidence is anectdotal from Dave Sutherland and Rob Kuntz and relative regarding the use of verticle grain boxes for 1975 versions of Tractics and, at least, one D&D 1975 2nd print woodgrain. The Kask box provenance, is second hand, although I did see the box in person. Kask and Sutherland both started employment with TSR in late 1975.

Thank you for that follow-up, Paul. I was waiting for confirmation...

(Presumed) "early" 1st prints aren't so easy, since there are only two of those around, afaik; only one of which has a strong context.

Can we write off EasterCon 1973, then?
EasterCon 1974 would be a much better date to fit in with the foreward/publication lag (if such a convention was the first "official public release", anyhow).

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:00 pm 

Thanks Paul, and sorry if I jumped the gun a bit with this thread. :oops:

At least we finally get to find out what that Greyhawk cover on the big black binder was: :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-AD-D-D-D-Dragon ... dZViewItem

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:35 pm 

Another question for you Paul, and I am sure David will be asking this as well(I am sure many others  too :wink:), but this White Box set you have listed is listed as a 5th:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-Dungeons-Dragon ... dZViewItem

Yet it clearly has the OCE star on the front that should mean that it is a 6th print. Does this happen to be a mix and match set with a 6th print box and 5th print books or am I am missing something else here?  I have a tendancy to be quite dense when it comes to White Box sets for some reason. :?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:53 pm 

Howdy,

bclarkie wrote:Another question for you Paul, and I am sure David will be asking this as well(I am sure many others too :wink:), but this White Box set you have listed is listed as a 5th:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-Dungeons-Dragon ... dZViewItem

Yet it clearly has the OCE star on the front that should mean that it is a 6th print. Does this happen to be a mix and match set with a 6th print box and 5th print books or am I am missing something else here? I have a tendancy to be quite dense when it comes to White Box sets for some reason. :?

No. It is a 6th print, OCE. Once upon a time I would have called it a 5th print. Apparently, my brain has not come back from "once upon a time" yet.

Futures Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:02 am 

The Collector's Trove wrote:Howdy All,

Aw crud! Well I tell ya', I am not going to auction it. It was a mistake to leave it in the listing. I'll tell you why:

The pre-pub is not on the list, mainly because I think there is about to be a shift. Namely, that these are not pre-pubs but extras given to or cobbled together by employees, sans labels in late 1975.

Thus, I would more properly call these post-production seconds and employee copies. These 3 sets in particular were never sold or offered at EasterCon in 1973. Of course, my evidence is anectdotal from Dave Sutherland and Rob Kuntz and relative regarding the use of verticle grain boxes for 1975 versions of Tractics and, at least, one D&D 1975 2nd print woodgrain. The Kask box provenance, is second hand, although I did see the box in person. Kask and Sutherland both started employment with TSR in late 1975.

I'd hate to sell something for a ton of money to someone only to discover the pre-pub theory fall on it's face the next day. Since it will be likely someone on this site that buys it, I would hate to have such a reversal play out.

I am sorry the set went up on the announcement, I had meant to delete that line.

Futures Bright,

Paul

But that is still a pretty neat item.

Regards,

Stephen

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:27 pm 

Ethesis wrote:But that is still a pretty neat item.

*nods in agreement*. Especially with provenance.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:23 pm 

Let's put it down as a 1st/2nd +/-/%/!/? prepub nonprepub.
How do you guys keep track of all the printings?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:40 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:Let's put it down as a 1st/2nd +/-/%/!/? prepub nonprepub.
How do you guys keep track of all the printings?

Heh.
1E?/1M??/1L(V)/2/3/3V/4-/5A?/5B??/5/6(a.b.c.??)/7(a.b.c.??)

Still ain't re-checked the number of re-releases (with different covers) of 6 and 7.

Oh, and a brown box w/o labels. (Boxes need to be tallied separately to books, IMHO, as posted before. There are some other quirks there that cut across the book printings, such as the $10 OCE).

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:45 am 

faro wrote:1E?/1M??/1L(V)/2/3/3V/4-/5A?/5B??/5/6(a.b.c.??)/7(a.b.c.??)

Looks like a Perl regular expression.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:03 pm 

I was just taking a look at this lot Stormber has going right now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-AD-D-D-D-Old-RP ... dZViewItem

Interesting lot to say the least.  One of the most interesting items in there is one of the nicer looking 1st DMG that I have seen so far. :)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:56 pm 

Alright, who wants to bet that David does not end up winning the 2nd print Woody auction? Hurry up it is ending soon...

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:58 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Alright, who wants to bet that David does not end up winning the 2nd print Woody auction? Hurry up it is ending soon...

You really don't want to hear my comments re. the condition of those books, Brian! :D

(I'm pretty sure the pages just fell out, anyhow. The Lake Geneva prints are terrible for that).

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:00 pm 

Darned percentiles :( :(

Thought I had a chance there; but not at $26... Hrrr...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:02 pm 

faro wrote:
bclarkie wrote:Alright, who wants to bet that David does not end up winning the 2nd print Woody auction? Hurry up it is ending soon...

You really don't want to hear my comments re. the condition of those books, Brian! :D

(I'm pretty sure the pages just fell out, anyhow. The Lake Geneva prints are terrible for that).

No comment needed, that set makes mine look pretty good. :P  No bid then, despite the condition?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:03 pm 

bclarkie wrote:No comment needed, that set makes mine look pretty good. :P No bid then, despite the condition?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

(erm, sorry! :))

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 10:05 pm 

faro wrote:Darned percentiles :( :(

Thought I had a chance there; but not at $26... Hrrr...

Well, at least you won the Wargamers Digest Mag. :oops:

Next