Evermore and AD&D Core Rules
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:27 pm 

Sorry if this thread is not going to be collecting-related, but I would not know where else to post it.

I have been using AD&D Core Rules 2.0 for a VERY long time now. It is a very useful program for AD&D 2nd Edition. Unfortunately, with the advent of 3rd, most people switched, and now the Core Rules have been substituted by e-Tools. Core Rules is obviously outdated, and the few people who still have an interest in it are we old-school AD&D nerds.

In addition, it seems that Evermore, the company that produced it, has disappeared. I don't know if they ever published anything else beyond Core Rules 1, 2 and 2 Expansion, however I think they don't exist anymore. Even their old website (http://www.evermore88.com/) doesn't respond anymore.

So what I thought was this: since there is no profit anymore on this product, wouldn't it be very interesting if the sources were GPL'd? This way, someone (of us old-school AD&D nerds) could pick them up and keep up the work on this tool as an open-source project. I think there are many possible improvements which could be done to the software, and I'd be in the first line to work on it.

Is there someone here in the forum who has any contact with the old Evermore people? Anyone who knows where those sources have gone now and who owns them? Moreover, is there some old-school AD&D nerd like me who would be interested in a GPL'd version of Core Rules?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:51 pm 

By sources, what do you mean?

If you mean program sources, that depends upon whether the program authors consent to having the software GPL'd.

If you mean the actual RTF files making up the books, that's copyrighted stuff, and won't EVER be GPL'd, even if Hasbro gives up Dungeons & Dragons.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:15 am 

No, I mean the actual code sources of the software.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:53 pm 

guerret wrote:Sorry if this thread is not going to be collecting-related, but I would not know where else to post it.

I have been using AD&D Core Rules 2.0 for a VERY long time now. It is a very useful program for AD&D 2nd Edition. Unfortunately, with the advent of 3rd, most people switched, and now the Core Rules have been substituted by e-Tools. Core Rules is obviously outdated, and the few people who still have an interest in it are we old-school AD&D nerds.

In addition, it seems that Evermore, the company that produced it, has disappeared. I don't know if they ever published anything else beyond Core Rules 1, 2 and 2 Expansion, however I think they don't exist anymore. Even their old website (http://www.evermore88.com/) doesn't respond anymore.

So what I thought was this: since there is no profit anymore on this product, wouldn't it be very interesting if the sources were GPL'd? This way, someone (of us old-school AD&D nerds) could pick them up and keep up the work on this tool as an open-source project. I think there are many possible improvements which could be done to the software, and I'd be in the first line to work on it.

Is there someone here in the forum who has any contact with the old Evermore people? Anyone who knows where those sources have gone now and who owns them? Moreover, is there some old-school AD&D nerd like me who would be interested in a GPL'd version of Core Rules?

BTW, there are some internet sources with tons of add-ons for the old Core rules programs.  You can get pretty much every spell and monster ever published up to 1999 or so.  Unfortunately, the old website I checked is not longer up (http://www.planetadnd.com/downloads/cr2/index.php) but maybe the content/downloads have been moved someplace else. We still use the core rules 2 expansion, I honestly don't know how we could game without it.

Mike  B.