Compiled Spellbook
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:57 pm 

Hey, I am planning a huge project which might interest some people. I am going to piece together THE spell list. I am planning on adding any and all spells I can find in any game system, module, etc. that I have. Things like Infernax, Players Handbook, even the special spells in Isle of the Ape. If anyone wants to help, I'd be glad to share the master list. I'm not sure what software should be used, Word, Adobe etc., but anything that could take scans and edit them would work great. Suggestions?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:54 pm 

Hope you have a good scanner and OCR for this project. I would suggest putting the final product into Acrobat so that it's more universal and you can still do fancy formatting.

BTW: If you're going to do D&D 3.5, they just released a book called Spell Compendium and it has all the spells to date in it... save for Summon (with multiple levels) and Cure (also with multiple levels). And you can download the SRD spell lists on the WotC website.

As for the rest of the games, good luck. I look forward to seeing the completed project. I did something like that myself for White Wolf's old World of Darkness for Thaumaturgy and Necromancy.

The Wraith - [email protected]

Yin & Yang Productions on eBay:
http://myworld.ebay.com/yinyangpro

WWW ICQ YIM  

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:54 pm 

how about ones in mags/zines.. I can send them to you are I come across them...I take it you only want D&D/AD&D stuff... U want all, ie description, castion time etc?

Brette:)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:14 pm 

Uhm, I thought "someone" had published a Wizard and Priest Spell Compendium a few years ago... They contain all spells released up to then in rule books, modules, magazines...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:58 pm 

Brette,

Zine and mag spells would be great. Basically ANY spell that can be adapted or already is in a D&D useable format.
So the Spell Compendium lists all the D&D spells to date? I'll have to find a PDF of it somewhere..........

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:32 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:Brette,

Zine and mag spells would be great. Basically ANY spell that can be adapted or already is in a D&D useable format.
So the Spell Compendium lists all the D&D spells to date? I'll have to find a PDF of it somewhere..........

The Spell Compendiums have complete lists of all spells published in any TSR products or periphials (magazines, modules, etc) but are NOT up to date. The Wizard's Spell compendium covers every mage spell up through 1995, while the Priest's spell compendium does the same.  So to truly get the full experience you would have to get all TSR products from the years 1996-2000 to complete 2nd edition.  This seems actually doable. From 3rd edition onward, well good luck. there have been so many hundreds of products published since the advent of 3rd ed (2000 to 2005) it would take you years and you could never be sure you got them all.  Finishing up the original job of the Wizard's spell compendium actually sounds doable and interesting.  It wouldn't be impossible to log every Polyhedron, Dragon and Dungeon mag, along with all published modules, supplements, boxed sets, etc published during the years 1996-2000 that contain new mage spells.

Mik eB.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:42 am 

True, but I would keep it as up-to-date as possible. And keep in mind that 3/4 of my collection is non_TSR stuff, so I have a huge amount of digging through to do.
Thanks for the idea though. If I can use my Wiz and Priest Compendiums to shorten the task, I will. I'm not hugely concerned with getting all the 3 eech spells, but whatever ones I can get I will add. Though, being 3e, I imagine Time stop is a 3rd level spell.
The tough part will be going thru Rolemaster, Arduin, etc. and converting the spells. But I need something to occupy me. It's either this or spend more time with the wife. Soooooooo.............. I'll get started!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:11 am 

I don't think that converting Rolemaster spells to AD&D format will be very useful. As it won't be any useful converting Ars Magica spells, more or less. It's a totally different magic system, and they don't really combine. Rolemaster has a huge list of spell categories, and for each category there are 15-20 spells or so. All these spells basically do the same thing, to different degrees. So in the end AD&D would likely treat it as a unique spell; and probably most spells in Rolemaster have subtle effects which wouldn't affect the AD&D game system.

You did not mention Ars Magica, but I did because to me it is the point of reference for any magic system. Most spells in Ars Magica are spontaneous casting. You combine the powers of Rego and Mentem to create an illusion in another's mind, or Muto Corpus to shapechange. This cannot be implemented at all in AD&D, at least not without drastically changing the magic system.

So what I think is: if a magic system is rather compatible with AD&D, then there may be reasons to convert and merge the spells; but for completely different magic systems it won't have any sense.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:54 am 

frank, the beholder fanzines have some cool little spells in them.

want scans of the pages that would assist you?

PM me if you want them, and i will supply what i can (basically from the books i have as i dont have them all yet!)

Al

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:13 pm 

Hey Frank,

If you do not want to convert all the spells, just compile the spells per spell system. Then for each system just write a "convert to AD&D system" paper for each system. That way it would be less time consuming. Also, I would suggest that you use MS Access for each spell system for trackability. Once you have tthe template made for each system then its just copy and past from pdf files or data entry when needed.

"Ah, you seek meaning? Then listen to the music, not the song."

"I know that you believe that you understood what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:21 pm 

Hey, that is a really good idea. That would save a huge chunk of time!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:05 pm 

I have a bunch of nonTSR stuff and TSR stuff as well and can help out as well.  If you send me your list, I can tell you what I have that is on it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:50 pm 

Instead of using MS Access, if you use MySQL and place it online you can also let orther people refer to it.

If you need help for the technical part, I can provide it and put up a small website for this.