what was the first ever character that you rolled & play
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:40 am 

ddt58 wrote:I'm not sure this will work, but I am uploading a picture of a couple of my friends playing D & D in about 1978. It was in the FIT newspaper office. I know I was there because my Judge's Guild map is on the table. I suspect I am out of the picture to the right. That's probably my Eldritch Wizardry to the right. I am pretty sure I am playing old Father Vlad there.

http://horizon.ucsd.edu/miller/photos/spring_1979/sword.jpg

I thought you might enjoy seeing what we were playing with back then.

Maybe its just my imagination, but the guy on the right looks suspiciously like he is getting ready to behead the guy on the left.  8O

If I am not mistaken, the first character I rolled up was a magic-user by the name of Dagon.  What was I thinking naming a skinny, pathetic, 2-hp mage after an ancient demi-god?  The other members of the party included a thief, ranger, and a fighter.  The first bit of trouble our party got into was attempting to rid a small town in the Archbarony of Ratik of a nasty cougar that was killing their livestock.  It was pretty pathetic.  The ranger used his woodland skills to set a trap and we all sat around waiting.  Finally the cougar shows up but instead of setting off the trap, decides to come after us instead.  I had climbed up into a nearby tree thinking I would be fairly safe from the jaws of the beast.  Nope...the damn thing started climbing up the tree after me.  I used my magic missile which just pissed it off more then attempted to "push" it back down the tree.  The fighter and ranger finally came to my aid and killed the damn thing.  The thief was off hiding somewhere.  :x

Several years later after our gaming group had broken up, I retired the character after he had reached 12th level.  I still have his character sheet along with a list of everything he killed along the way.  8)

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:25 pm 

Maybe its just my imagination, but the guy on the right looks suspiciously like he is getting ready to behead the guy on the left.

Believe me, he wasn't the only one who wanted to do that sometimes. :lol:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 6:57 pm 

ddt58 wrote:I'm not sure this will work, but I am uploading a picture of a couple of my friends playing D & D in about 1978. It was in the FIT newspaper office. I know I was there because my Judge's Guild map is on the table. I suspect I am out of the picture to the right. That's probably my Eldritch Wizardry to the right. I am pretty sure I am playing old Father Vlad there.

http://horizon.ucsd.edu/miller/photos/spring_1979/sword.jpg

I thought you might enjoy seeing what we were playing with back then.

Cool pic, I'm sure a lot of us wish we had pics of the old playing group, but who knew at the time?
I dig the lawn chairs, and the guy on the left looks like a young Dan Ackroyd.   :D

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:24 pm 

I was a human ranger in N1....it was awesome! I'll never forget how much fun and excitement that was....in fact, I have to say that is a "happy place" for me, that first adventure.....

Then the owlbear in KOTB nuked me along with the entire party.

Bree-Yark!

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:37 am 

I started with four instead of one.  A magic-user, fighter, cleric, and thief.  All the basics.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:50 am 

My first was a Magic User, I think named Steve. We were going to the Caves of Chaos in B2 and I was killed by a wandering orc on the way. I had only rolled 2 for my HP, and really had no idea what I was doing, so the DM took pity on me and let me live. We were playing the red dragon basic set, ca. 1981 or so.

After that, I started getting the AD&D books, and started DMing, and haven't looked back since.

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:53 pm 

silver_beetle wrote:My first was a Magic User, I think named Steve. We were going to the Caves of Chaos in B2 and I was killed by a wandering orc on the way. I had only rolled 2 for my HP, and really had no idea what I was doing, so the DM took pity on me and let me live. We were playing the red dragon basic set, ca. 1981 or so.

After that, I started getting the AD&D books, and started DMing, and haven't looked back since.

Heh, fondly recall my first character death was in B2. Our party was attacked by all of the undead and the evil priest in the shrine of evil chaos. Imagine our surprise when we couldn't turn the zombies and skeleton as easily as we thought. It was ugly...

The gray oozes helped eliminate some of our items too.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:37 pm 

My first character was Tirandar Dragonhelm, a human fighter with an 11 strength and 2 hit points.

I joined a group that was playing using the boxed set with the red dragon on the cover.  We were playing through the dungeon that was included in the text of the rulebook.

I have lost many a monster as a DM...but I have only died twice as a player character.

Once I was poisoned by a gas grenade in Expedition to the Barrier Peaks after a 15 minute rules quest to somehow avoid having to make the saving throw at all.  (My character was an archer that had started first level as a monk and then switched.  Since I had actually gained 1000 experience points as a monk the DM allowed me to try to knock the grenade away.  I failed that roll as well.)    :x

The other time, our entire campaign came to an abrupt end when the entire party teleported out of a dungeon together....and came in low.  We were never seen or heard from again.   :cry:

Mark    8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:33 am 

MShipley88 wrote:The other time, our entire campaign came to an abrupt end when the entire party teleported out of a dungeon together....and came in low. We were never seen or heard from again.  :cry:

That really, really sucks.  As DM I'd be tempted to fudge that one in some fashion.

YIM  

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:39 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
MShipley88 wrote:The other time, our entire campaign came to an abrupt end when the entire party teleported out of a dungeon together....and came in low. We were never seen or heard from again. :cry:

That really, really sucks. As DM I'd be tempted to fudge that one in some fashion.

if you think about it- a perfect opening to an adventure. the teleport spell goes awry and you end up deep underground in this cavern......

what a waste of an opening!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Active Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:11 am 

This is the funniest thread I've yet read on this forum. Great pic, btw...wish we had taken some...

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:10 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
deimos3428 wrote:
MShipley88 wrote:The other time, our entire campaign came to an abrupt end when the entire party teleported out of a dungeon together....and came in low. We were never seen or heard from again. :cry:

That really, really sucks. As DM I'd be tempted to fudge that one in some fashion.

if you think about it- a perfect opening to an adventure. the teleport spell goes awry and you end up deep underground in this cavern......

what a waste of an opening!

Al

I was thinking the exact same thing.  It could have been the start of a cool new campaign... on the other hand the DM was just being a realist I suppose.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:34 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:I was thinking the exact same thing. It could have been the start of a cool new campaign... on the other hand the DM was just being a realist I suppose.

well yeah there is that, but man! its hard enough sometimes to hook a group of PCs down the way you want, when something like that comes along that provides you with a perfect opportunity and there aint a thing they can do about it!

i've done that many a time.

thats kinda how i roped the PCs into B4 - they got lost in the desert and sought refuge in a massive sand-storm....perfect.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:09 pm 

A magic user using the Holmes set. I was the last to arrive and nobody had a magic user and my stats worked for one. Went through the dungeon in the blue book and went on to B1. I happened to be the only survivor because I had baseball practice on the night they were finishing and the party got crushed. My magic user went in using a potion of invisibility and resuced one of the captured fighters and we fled the scene. Soon after we moved on to AD&D and the charater got left behind. I can't remember his name...and that bugs me.

The thing I most remember was being bored as hell. Character had virtually no hit points (1d4 with no constitution does not go very far, even at second or third level). AC was around 7, but certainly no better than that. The only option was to hang around the back of the party and pray nothing attacked me in hand to hand. Yep, throw your one spell and sit back and watch...the good old days...I love them.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:11 pm 

bbarsh wrote:The thing I most remember was being bored as hell. Character had virtually no hit points (1d4 with no constitution does not go very far, even at second or third level). AC was around 7, but certainly no better than that. The only option was to hang around the back of the party and pray nothing attacked me in hand to hand. Yep, throw your one spell and sit back and watch...the good old days...I love them.

Darts!  Darts!  That's why it's best for low level magic-users to pick darts as their first weapon proficiencey... they don't get another one until 7th level if I recall.  One of my early magic-users was famous in the party for using his darts to take out injured and staggered enemies, freeing up the fighters' next attack opportunity for less damaged foes.  It's 3 attacks per round with the darts and I had a bag full of them.  I would always remember to pick them up after every battle, and the DM would roll for how many had been destroyed after usage.  The staff looks cooler, but the darts are more useful.   Long live darts!  8)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:00 pm 

VermilionFire wrote:The staff looks cooler, but the darts are more useful.  Long live darts! 8)

Sidebar:  In checking out the 1st Ed. MU weapon choices, I noticed a strange anomaly for the thief class.  It's probably an oversight, but they're the only class not allowed to use a staff. :lol: (Pg. 19, PHB).

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 8:20 pm 

Yep, the old dagger, dart or staff choice. Darts are hard to pass up. Three attacks per round. Problem is you are never going to find magic darts and they are useless in hand to hand.

Daggers are probably the best choice; two attacks per round if throwing and you have something for hand to hand. You also have a higher chance of finding a magic dagger.

The staff does the best damage. That is it.

Non prof. is -5 and you get your second one at 6th level.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:02 am 

The dagger is best for damage, magic item opportunity and melee, except my DM determined that thrown daggers had a higher chance of breakage than thrown darts since darts were meant to be thrown while thrown daggers were incidentally thrown, and therefore not designed to stand up to the pressure of multiple throws.  I was never quite sure of his logic as I'm not a weapons expert, but he was the DM so... his rule was the rule.  
The dagger does provide a magic-user with a hand-to-hand combat option but if the enemy is that close at hand to your magic-user you're probably doomed anyway and should look to run.
If I remember correctly, don't magic-users get a new weapon slot every six levels (1/6 I believe the PHB states), so doesn't that mean he gets a new weapon at 7th level (after completing the first six)?

PreviousNext