what was the first ever character that you rolled & play
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:42 am 

thought this would be a fun thread for this.

my first ever rolled character was a Human Paladin, named Borka the Jop. He went on some great adventures and managed to get to 12 xp off 5th Level of experience.

he died running away from a white dragon, who in the end just breathed on Borka (failing his saving throw too) and there you go, RIP.

fabulous memories...and i remember being absolutely gutted too.

what was everyone elses?

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:18 am 

A very beautiful thread Al! :)
But sad too: years have passed and I'm older than when I started playing D&D ...
I was a young schoolboy, now I'm an old clerk :cry:

BTW...

My original character was a Magic User (we played D&D with the basic seven classes ...) named Gandalf the Grey. I've been playing with it continuosly until it came to 11th level.
Then, using it everytime I could, it has grown up to 20th level ...
And I still keep the sheet as a Holy Grail.

What else?
Ah ... Gandalf has died two times in his career and has been resurrected two times. After the second, he became Gandalf the White 8)

Giorgio

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:45 am 

Howdy,

My first AD&D character, Blackstar, a Lawful fighter, started in Basic D&D (1981) and rose to 8th level adventuring through the Caves of Chaos, the Borderlands, and the Cave of the Unknown. His stats were fabulous (3d6 in order!)

S18, I10, W14, D15, C15, CH17

I didn't know what the word charisma meant and was miffed I couldn't move the score elsewhere. :)

Soon we discovered the AD&D books, and after some persuasive arguments, won over our DM. Looking at the book it was clear what my character had to be - a paladin. After a short quest the fellow attained paladinhood. My DM instructed me to roll the percentile dice for exceptional strength, except we couldn't find them in the dice set - no d100. :)  After a consultation with the DM's dad, he told us how we could generate rolls of 1-100 using two d10's! BRILLIANT! Promptly, I rolled a 98%. 8O

Then my DM said he would generate our height and weight - yep - 7 foot tall. :)  This guy was a holy juggernaut!

Since first level his weapon was a "polearm". When I discovered how many polearms there were I had to go to the library. I had always pictured the character's weapon as a bardiche - and so it was.

In his career he was killed only four times: a gray ooze (Cave of Chaos), molten lava (Tomb of Horrors), Juggernaut (again Tomb of Horrors), and Acererak (yep, Tomb of Horrors).

Did the whole Descent into the Depths series, went to the Abyss to see Lolth. It was there that the entire party (C16, MU14, F8/T19, F7/I10), save the paladin, was killed by a drow mage breaking a staff of the magi on some parallel world off of the Demonweb. Having no options to raise them from the dead my character (12th level at the time) did what any well-played paladin-stuck-in-the-Abyss-without-a-chance-in-heck-to-escape would do - I took all of the best magic items that survived and girded for battle.  :P

Lessee: Platemail +3, Shield +5 , Holy Avenger +5, mace of disruption, obsidian dagger +2, ring of fire resistance, ring of regeneration, boots of speed, and girdle of fire giant strength. Against evil (and with room to move) his AC was -11, "to hit" +11, damage +20.

With a ragtag bunch of ex-prisoners and one madman (all run by the other players) the final battle was joined. All of Lolth's minions were destroyed and all of the motley crew following the paladin were done for. The final battle was tense and both opponents were reduced to single digit hit points. The players were crowded around me at the table (since their characters were now dead) cheering me on.

The final round came, one hit would spell certain doom for Lolth. She had expended her magic, healing, and psionics. The magic power of the paladin's sword repeatedly kept her from teleporting away. Lolth won initiative and used dispel good (at will ability) on my paladin. The sword's dispel magic effect failed, then the magic resistance, and finally my paladin failed his save vs. spells. Boom, back on the Prime Material Plane - flat on his back in the middle of a meadow. Rising to his feet he saw daisies as far as the eye could see.

A few other adventures took place after that but the other player's attendance faded with the deaths of their high-level PC's.

Swords Bright,

Paul

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:34 am 

Interesting thread...

My first character was a ranger (I guess I was influenced by LotR) named Galen.  The DM only had the three core AD&D books to play with so we never did any classic module adventuring until later.  It was all homebrew, which spelled an early death for Galen at 4th level when the party made the mistake of camping out in a white dragon lair.  He was the last one to get wiped out and it was pretty depressing.  I think I still have the character sheet somewhere...  :(

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:50 am 

dathon wrote:Interesting thread...

My first character was a ranger (I guess I was influenced by LotR) named Galen. The DM only had the three core AD&D books to play with so we never did any classic module adventuring until later. It was all homebrew, which spelled an early death for Galen at 4th level when the party made the mistake of camping out in a white dragon lair. He was the last one to get wiped out and it was pretty depressing. I think I still have the character sheet somewhere... :(

My first character was Conan (sheesh).  We used 3d6 method but got to move the numbers where ever we wanted.  I actually rolled an 18 and it went to strength.  In his only adventure, we went through B1 In Search of the Unknown and the entire party save Conan was eventually killed by kobolds.  After this adventure the players overthrew the DM and I started DMing in his place, didn't have another character for about 15 years...!

Mike B.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:52 am 

Kiril Threndor an Elven Ranger. Really remember a little bout him.....

rolled him up on my friends ping pong table in their cellar ( IIRC we did 3d6 NO moving or adjusting ), they gave me a book ( Lord Foul's Bane ) and told me to pick a name. I recall playing all nighters with them and going through X1 where alot of the group got killed by a red dragon flying down and breathing on us. We ended up at some point going into S3 and last thing I remember was " make a saving throw"...I was the last to get disintergrated............................... 8O . Most of that group fell apart shortly after as they were going off to college and leaving this little freshman to start anew.

I still have the original heritage elf I used for the character but that's about it.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:04 pm 

I never had a character get to 2nd level until I realized our DM didn't know what he was doing. He would guestimate when we rolled if we hit, and of course we all had to fight our first battle against the Minotaur in B2 all by ourselves....along with the Minotaur using the staff of healing.

After that, most of the time I was the DM and my characters are just other NPCs for my players.

The few times I played in other people's games I thought the DM sukked (yeah, I said it!). They favored their friends and spent more time role-playing then rolling the dice...EVEN IN COMBAT!!!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:27 pm 

I think it was a chaotic good half-orc fighter, a real dumb-ass (like myself).  He died on the first encounter in T1.  We were set upon by the giant frogs near the moathouse, and everything happened so fast.  My head was swimming.  I didn't know what to do.  Then I was dead.  I think somebody killed the frog and pulled me out, but it was too late.  I had no idea things could jump out at you unexpectedly like that.  Man, those were the days.  Remember the feel of your first adventure?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:01 pm 

Unfortunately, all I remember (I played only once, then went a few months before I could play again) was that I was a human fighter (Mentzer Red Box) exploring the castle (alone) found in the red box.  I was doing well, but had there been a second adventure I'm sure that my lonely level 1 fighter would get toasted on his own. :)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:14 pm 

The first character I ever created was a fighter named, "Thundar the Barbarian" (sad, I know). The adventure - Keep on the Borderlands. The game started with us at the door of the keep asking to be let in. We had no equipment but we did have our starting gold. The DM had us role-play finding stores and buying all our equipment. Finally we ventured out of the keep. The first thing we encountered was the bandit camp. There were two of us in the party. We attacked. They killed us. I was totally hooked  :D

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:18 pm 

I already mentioned my first character in another thread. The only natural 18/00 strength I ever rolled. Still have his sheet too!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:27 pm 

The first character ever I rolled up a cleric.  It was out of the Modvay Basic set rules, but I do not remember his name.  I was only like 7 at the time so my memories of that character are not very detailed, but for some reason I do remember that he had a strength of 10.  I have absolutely no clue as to why I remember that and nothing else. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:15 am 

My first character was a half-elfin thief by the name of Mirk.  Modest ability scores had he.  I think I am one of the few to have the sad distinction of dying the first you played AD&D and in the first five minutes no less.
    Alas poor Mirk, he and two other thieves were being expelled from the Guild (thus on our way to adventure.)  However none of us knew how to role-play so we did nothing and loosing patience our Guildmaster attacked us.  The two others were wounded but lived, I died.  I was crushed and the DM eventually felt sorry and this being summer camp he gave me a new character Vanguard, a dwarven fighter.  So while Vanguard was the first hero I ever played, I never rolled him up.  Mirk was all mine, but I lost the sheet a long time ago.
~Thomas

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:39 am 

Left_Behind_Subject wrote:I think I am one of the few to have the sad distinction of dying the first you played AD&D

I'm a member of that club. Killed by a zombie in about the first hour of game-time ... and I had a BLAST.

I'll never forget that zombie; for one thing, he was represented by a yellow four-sided die on our primitive battle-board.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:03 am 

Left_Behind_Subject wrote:My first character was a half-elfin thief by the name of Mirk. Modest ability scores had he. I think I am one of the few to have the sad distinction of dying the first you played AD&D and in the first five minutes no less.
  Alas poor Mirk, he and two other thieves were being expelled from the Guild (thus on our way to adventure.) However none of us knew how to role-play so we did nothing and loosing patience our Guildmaster attacked us. The two others were wounded but lived, I died. I was crushed and the DM eventually felt sorry and this being summer camp he gave me a new character Vanguard, a dwarven fighter. So while Vanguard was the first hero I ever played, I never rolled him up. Mirk was all mine, but I lost the sheet a long time ago.
~Thomas

One needs to question your DM's ability.  Your (presumably 9th+ level) Guildmaster lost patience and attacked your 1st level PC?  8O  

There are lots of reasons why that should never happen, but I'll just give #1.  You won't have a guild for long with that attitude.  There's a metaphor in there somewhere.

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:53 am 

Ivan the Terrible, 1st Level Cleric who forgot to buy armour.  Adventured in B1 and was the only one out of our fledgling group to survive.  I think we played for 18 hours our first game.  Just thinking about it brings back huge memory rushes.

The year was 1979! (god that's a long time ago!)

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:51 am 

I don't really recall my first PC, to be honest. I do remember being forbidden to play in my older sibling's game, as I was "below the recommended age". In retrospect, I suspect this had nothing to do with what was stated on the box, so much as that I was eight, and therefore annoying. After some persistence, I was allowed to watch so long as I kept quiet and didn't disrupt play.

Quite a while later, the DM (a extremely ancient and venerable boy of 14!) took pity on me and allowed me to "role-play" an orc. I suppose that counts, as I rolled him up -- seven hit points!

I didn't know what an orc was, but the DM gave me a lead figure to explain, and told me I was to try to "beat up" the invading PC party. I dutifully moved it around the chessboard to indicate his position.

So my first character ever would be "Orc #4". He didn't last long, but I was hooked.

YIM  

Active Collector

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:31 am 

Great thread...a Ranger named Questor the Elf. My favorite character to this day.

He was quickly followed by a female Druid who's name I can not recall. Probably died sticking her head in a knothole.

Next