MM - 4th printing found with red end papers (news to grodog)
Author

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:03 pm 

C'mon Allan! Hurry up, we're waiting! The suspense is killing us! :!:  :lol:

The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:34 pm 

Sorry, I'm editing an adventure for some folks, didn't realize you were all hanging with bated breath :D

OK, so here's the story on my 3rd printing:

• cover, end papers/fly leaves, and copyright info match 3rd
  • actually lists "per turn" and not "per round" in vampire 3rd sentence
  • lists prices in catalog

So, I must have gotten my books mixed up during the shuffling of them last night, since the errata is not present in my Third Printing book.

Alas, a false alarm  :oops:

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:57 pm 

*in passing (/OT) wonders whatever happened re. listing that 3rd+ PHB (4th cover, 3rd contents) I reported as confirmed off the back of an auction a long time ago...*

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:07 pm 

grodog wrote:Sorry, I'm editing an adventure for some folks, didn't realize you were all hanging with bated breath :D

For some of us, finding out MM printing details is more important than that football game they're playing... ;)

So, I must have gotten my books mixed up during the shuffling of them last night, since the errata is not present in my Third Printing book.

Alas, a false alarm :oops:

Don't sweat it.  I mix stuff up all the time, hopefully we've made it a little clearer in all the excitement, at least.  Keep hunting, folks! :)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:09 pm 

faro wrote:*in passing (/OT) wonders whatever happened re. listing that 3rd+ PHB (4th cover, 3rd contents) I reported as confirmed off the back of an auction a long time ago...*

I don't remember that one, but interesting.  Seems like 1979 was a very mixed up year for TSR...if anyone has one in their hot little hands, I'd love to ask them a few questions...ok, a lot of questions. :)

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:16 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
faro wrote:*in passing (/OT) wonders whatever happened re. listing that 3rd+ PHB (4th cover, 3rd contents) I reported as confirmed off the back of an auction a long time ago...*

I don't remember that one, but interesting. Seems like 1979 was a very mixed up year for TSR...if anyone has one in their hot little hands, I'd love to ask them a few questions...ok, a lot of questions. :)

Well it's still here... somewhere...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:05 pm 

deimos3428 wrote:
grodog wrote:Sorry, I'm editing an adventure for some folks, didn't realize you were all hanging with bated breath :D

For some of us, finding out MM printing details is more important than that football game they're playing... ;)

LOL.  Heather and I went out to dinner last night, and were suprised to discover that the Superbowl was on---we had no idea ;)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:59 pm 

Okay, I hate to throw a spanner in to the works here (it's grodog's fault!), but I have another 5th print variant.  Everything jives with it being a 5th print except the lettering in the slash on the upper left corner is not white highlighted.  

I can provide a scan if that will help.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:24 am 

DungeonDelver wrote:Okay, I hate to throw a spanner in to the works here (it's grodog's fault!), but I have another 5th print variant.  Everything jives with it being a 5th print except the lettering in the slash on the upper left corner is not white highlighted.  

Aw, man!  Just when I think I've got it figured out. :)  Just kidding.

Yes, please provide a scan.  It sounds very much like a standard 4th, unless I'm missing something.  (5ths have "TM" next to "Advanced D&D", 4ths do not.  5ths have white highlighting, 4ths have black highlighting.)

YIM  

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:55 am 

deimos3428 wrote:
DungeonDelver wrote:Okay, I hate to throw a spanner in to the works here (it's grodog's fault!), but I have another 5th print variant.  Everything jives with it being a 5th print except the lettering in the slash on the upper left corner is not white highlighted.  

Aw, man!  Just when I think I've got it figured out. :)  Just kidding.

Yes, please provide a scan.  It sounds very much like a standard 4th, unless I'm missing something.  (5ths have "TM" next to "Advanced D&D", 4ths do not.  5ths have white highlighting, 4ths have black highlighting.)

Well that's the trick - it has a "TM" but no highlighting of any kind.

I'll put a scan up later today...whoa my dance card is full of stuff today...

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:30 pm 

Hey, look, I'm reviving this MM thread.  I thought I had a DISCOVERY to report again, but alas, it's just a standard 3rd :D  

PS - Bill, are we still waiting for your scan, or did you post that in its own thread? ;)

Greyhawk, grodog Style

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:34 am 

If a tight digital photo will do I can do it ASAP.  My scanner hates Vista and vice-versa so an actual SCAN will take longer.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:18 am 

All scanners hate Vista.............

If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 am 

Deadlord39 wrote:All scanners hate Vista.............

Both of mine work..but now if we are talking about Scanners, then well they'll just blow your mind :lol:

ShaneG.

I reject your reality and substitute my own

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:08 am 

sorry guys I forgot about this.  I'll get on it tomorrow if not this weekend.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:54 am 

you'll be pleased to know that Vista runs slower than XP, and XP is supposed to run even faster when SP3 is released.

Windows XP Speed Boost Coming with SP3
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071126/tc_nf/56872

Gary H. Kramer

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 12:08 am 

I'd sort of like to know how the red endpapers became such a mark of distinction. It seems like whenever I tell gamers I collect the old stuff, they'll likely ask if I have a MM with red endpapers.

As a matter of fact yes, but that's besides the point. How do they know about something so trivial as printing distinctions? These are typically gamers who care nothing for old editions, who see it all as naught but obsolete & undesirable.

They might have heard of the white box or Chainmail or Deities w/Cthulhu, but little else. Therefore why would they have heard of red-endpaper MM at all? Was it made famous somehow?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:19 am 

sauromatian wrote:Was it made famous somehow?

Bright red (or goldenrod!) is always famous.  I figure it just stood out as an easily identifiable and  noteworthy difference.  Now if people are asking if you have a slanted-page 111 DMG...they have serious issues.

YIM  
PreviousNext