MM - 4th printing found with red end papers (news to grodog)
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 812, 3 ... 678
Author


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:34 pm 
 

grodog wrote:Tyson, I think you may have got it straight, although I'm sure that I don't now :D

I think it would be worthwhile to run through the potential criteria for the 4th- again---and to confirm that the vampire errata content listed on the site is correct, since so much hinges on that. Are there any other potentially distinguishing features that would be worth checking?

Vampire errata:  Simply the change from "turn" to "round" in that particular line.

To summarize thus far:

3rd: does not have errata ("turn") but does have prices, "3rd edition", red-lettered cover
3rd+: does not have errata ("turn") but does have prices, "3rd edition", yellow-lettered cover
4th-:  has errata ("round") and has prices (according to the DMG 2nd Alpha) *
4th:  has errata ("round") and does not have prices, "4th edition", yellow-lettered cover.

* There's no knowledge of which cover and copyright page this volume has, yet.  I'm hoping you can tell us that, if indeed your copy states ("round") and has prices on the catalog page.  It might be the case that the cover and content evolved under different timelines, but I hope not, because that confuses things a lot.

There may well be other differences, but until we find a "none of the above", this should be sufficient to categorize any print.

(Paul and others, correct me if I've gone horribly wrong here...I'm working with what I have.)

 YIM  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 762
Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Last Visit: Oct 25, 2021

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:54 pm 
 

Howdy,


You are spot on!


Futures Bright,

Paul


The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

 WWW  


Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 762
Joined: Feb 05, 2003
Last Visit: Oct 25, 2021

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:03 pm 
 

C'mon Allan! Hurry up, we're waiting! The suspense is killing us! :!:  :lol:


The Collector's Trove The online auction house that features the collections of game designers and artists.

 WWW  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5677
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Nov 26, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:34 pm 
 

Sorry, I'm editing an adventure for some folks, didn't realize you were all hanging with bated breath :D

OK, so here's the story on my 3rd printing:

  • cover, end papers/fly leaves, and copyright info match 3rd
  • actually lists "per turn" and not "per round" in vampire 3rd sentence
  • lists prices in catalog


So, I must have gotten my books mixed up during the shuffling of them last night, since the errata is not present in my Third Printing book.

Alas, a false alarm  :oops:


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:57 pm 
 

*in passing (/OT) wonders whatever happened re. listing that 3rd+ PHB (4th cover, 3rd contents) I reported as confirmed off the back of an auction a long time ago...*

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:07 pm 
 

grodog wrote:Sorry, I'm editing an adventure for some folks, didn't realize you were all hanging with bated breath :D

For some of us, finding out MM printing details is more important than that football game they're playing... ;)

So, I must have gotten my books mixed up during the shuffling of them last night, since the errata is not present in my Third Printing book.

Alas, a false alarm :oops:

Don't sweat it.  I mix stuff up all the time, hopefully we've made it a little clearer in all the excitement, at least.  Keep hunting, folks! :)

 YIM  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:09 pm 
 

faro wrote:*in passing (/OT) wonders whatever happened re. listing that 3rd+ PHB (4th cover, 3rd contents) I reported as confirmed off the back of an auction a long time ago...*

I don't remember that one, but interesting.  Seems like 1979 was a very mixed up year for TSR...if anyone has one in their hot little hands, I'd love to ask them a few questions...ok, a lot of questions. :)

 YIM  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector

Posts: 3155
Joined: Nov 21, 2005
Last Visit: Feb 05, 2016
Location: UK

Post Posted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 11:16 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:
faro wrote:*in passing (/OT) wonders whatever happened re. listing that 3rd+ PHB (4th cover, 3rd contents) I reported as confirmed off the back of an auction a long time ago...*

I don't remember that one, but interesting. Seems like 1979 was a very mixed up year for TSR...if anyone has one in their hot little hands, I'd love to ask them a few questions...ok, a lot of questions. :)

Well it's still here... somewhere...

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5677
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Nov 26, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:05 pm 
 

deimos3428 wrote:
grodog wrote:Sorry, I'm editing an adventure for some folks, didn't realize you were all hanging with bated breath :D

For some of us, finding out MM printing details is more important than that football game they're playing... ;)

LOL.  Heather and I went out to dinner last night, and were suprised to discover that the Superbowl was on---we had no idea ;)


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 232
Joined: Nov 16, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 30, 2017

Post Posted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:59 pm 
 

Okay, I hate to throw a spanner in to the works here (it's grodog's fault!), but I have another 5th print variant.  Everything jives with it being a 5th print except the lettering in the slash on the upper left corner is not white highlighted.  

I can provide a scan if that will help.

  


Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Posts: 3066
Joined: Jul 09, 2004
Last Visit: Apr 30, 2015

Post Posted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:24 am 
 

DungeonDelver wrote:Okay, I hate to throw a spanner in to the works here (it's grodog's fault!), but I have another 5th print variant.  Everything jives with it being a 5th print except the lettering in the slash on the upper left corner is not white highlighted.  

I can provide a scan if that will help.

Aw, man!  Just when I think I've got it figured out. :)  Just kidding.

Yes, please provide a scan.  It sounds very much like a standard 4th, unless I'm missing something.  (5ths have "TM" next to "Advanced D&D", 4ths do not.  5ths have white highlighting, 4ths have black highlighting.)

 YIM  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 232
Joined: Nov 16, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 30, 2017

Post Posted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:55 am 
 

deimos3428 wrote:
DungeonDelver wrote:Okay, I hate to throw a spanner in to the works here (it's grodog's fault!), but I have another 5th print variant.  Everything jives with it being a 5th print except the lettering in the slash on the upper left corner is not white highlighted.  

I can provide a scan if that will help.

Aw, man!  Just when I think I've got it figured out. :)  Just kidding.

Yes, please provide a scan.  It sounds very much like a standard 4th, unless I'm missing something.  (5ths have "TM" next to "Advanced D&D", 4ths do not.  5ths have white highlighting, 4ths have black highlighting.)


Well that's the trick - it has a "TM" but no highlighting of any kind.

I'll put a scan up later today...whoa my dance card is full of stuff today...

  


Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5677
Joined: Nov 16, 2002
Last Visit: Nov 26, 2021
Location: Wichita, KS, USA

Post Posted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:30 pm 
 

Hey, look, I'm reviving this MM thread.  I thought I had a DISCOVERY to report again, but alas, it's just a standard 3rd :D  

PS - Bill, are we still waiting for your scan, or did you post that in its own thread? ;)


Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 232
Joined: Nov 16, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 30, 2017

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:34 am 
 

If a tight digital photo will do I can do it ASAP.  My scanner hates Vista and vice-versa so an actual SCAN will take longer.

  

User avatar

Grandstanding Collector

Posts: 5648
Joined: Jun 30, 2003
Last Visit: Nov 18, 2021
Location: New Hampsha

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:18 am 
 

All scanners hate Vista.............


If you hit a Rowsdower, you get to keep it.

 WWW  

User avatar

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Posts: 4505
Joined: Nov 08, 2002
Last Visit: Nov 26, 2021
Location: Land of 10,000 ponds

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:57 am 
 

Deadlord39 wrote:All scanners hate Vista.............


Both of mine work..but now if we are talking about Scanners, then well they'll just blow your mind :lol:

ShaneG.


I reject your reality and substitute my own

 WWW  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 232
Joined: Nov 16, 2004
Last Visit: Oct 30, 2017

Post Posted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:08 am 
 

sorry guys I forgot about this.  I'll get on it tomorrow if not this weekend.

  


Prolific Collector

Posts: 117
Joined: Feb 05, 2005
Last Visit: Sep 14, 2008
Location: Ottawa, Canada

Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:54 am 
 

you'll be pleased to know that Vista runs slower than XP, and XP is supposed to run even faster when SP3 is released.

Windows XP Speed Boost Coming with SP3
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nf/20071126/tc_nf/56872


Gary H. Kramer

  
PreviousNext
Post new topic Reply to topic Page 2 of 812, 3 ... 678