ACE: Acaeum Collectors' Ensemble at GenCon 2006
Author

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:26 pm 

Does anyone know how much I have to send at the auction so the saving in shipping would cover the ticket and plane ticket from Toronto?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:36 pm 

Prufrock wrote:WARNING: for those of you who have not attended Gencon before. There are a wide variety of people who play role playing games. These people all have a WIDE variety of personal hygiene habits: some good some NOT. Be prepared for this. I almost passed-out last year when a particularly "goth" sort passed me by and the wake of stench hit me. 8O

Doesnt matter what kind of convention you go to, there is always a varying degree of stink that permeates the air.  Whether the cause be from a sweaty Starfleet uniform, itchy Jedi robes, or 50 lbs. of chain mail.  It's all pretty bad.  :evil:

I used to think Magic: The Gathering players had the worst hygiene habits.  But nothing can prepare you for the stench at QuakeCon.  There is nothing worse than the smell of sweat pouring from the pits of hard-core computer gamers that have been playing non-stop for 24 hours and have eaten nothing but pizza and Doritos and drank nothing but Mountain Dew and Bawls Guarana.  There is nothing more annoying either.  :D

Try this if you want to keep that clean feeling and give yourself a jump start at the same time.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/caffeine/accessories/5a65/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:43 pm 

Mars wrote:Does anyone know how much I have to send at the auction so the saving in shipping would cover the ticket and plane ticket from Toronto?

Sounds like you need a ride with somebody from NY or Ohio. ;>

If your shipping costs in $US = pounds of material purchased, you should break even by coming... and for no extra cost get the ACE meeting, the auction, the convention, the gaming, the dealer room, the celebrities, the food & nightlife, and the chance to buy Goodman's convention special limited edition module that will sell on eBay a year later for 5x-10x the original price. (Better buy a dozen or more of THOSE while you're there. ;> )

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:22 am 

Mars wrote:Does anyone know how much I have to send at the auction so the saving in shipping would cover the ticket and plane ticket from Toronto?

Its not that far, just drive!  Me and the wife did it it 2004, we flew to Toronto and them rented a car and drove there.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:05 am 

Deadlord36 wrote:I'll bet module for module on the Steelers.

As long as the refs don't f*ck it up...

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:36 am 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Prufrock wrote:WARNING: for those of you who have not attended Gencon before. There are a wide variety of people who play role playing games. These people all have a WIDE variety of personal hygiene habits: some good some NOT. Be prepared for this. I almost passed-out last year when a particularly "goth" sort passed me by and the wake of stench hit me. 8O

I don't know about Indy, but the GenCon SoCal program actually has a lengthy passage in its introduction about things such as showering, using soap, etc. It's pretty embarrasing stuff, but it's also interesting to note that a longtime gamer stereotype is actually real enough to be addressed in official convention materials.

OK, this may sound shallow, but this was one of the main reasons I quit MTG. For the love of Oden, they should have included bars of soap with the starter decks. Or at least one of the cards should have doubled as an air-freshener!

"I tap 4 mana for the artifact of air cleansing."

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:17 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
Deadlord36 wrote:I'll bet module for module on the Steelers.

As long as the refs don't f*ck it up...

dont you think the superbowl is blown up all out of proportion? sorry but i cant seem to get excited about it really - prb cos i dont live over there :)

anyway maybe janet jackson will get her baps out again and they will cancel the whole thing :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:28 am 

killjoy32 wrote:anyway maybe janet jackson will get her baps out again and they will cancel the whole thing :D

Al

Um, those weren't hers, they were her brother's.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:48 am 

Zippanthropus wrote:
Xaxaxe wrote:

I don't know about Indy, but the GenCon SoCal program actually has a lengthy passage in its introduction about things such as showering, using soap, etc. It's pretty embarrasing stuff, but it's also interesting to note that a longtime gamer stereotype is actually real enough to be addressed in official convention materials.

OK, this may sound shallow, but this was one of the main reasons I quit MTG. For the love of Oden, they should have included bars of soap with the starter decks. Or at least one of the cards should have doubled as an air-freshener!

"I tap 4 mana for the artifact of air cleansing."

Sad but true story, this is the reason the FLGS owner stopped having Saturday MTG tournaments at his store.  The back room would literallyhave to be fumigated at the end of each day.  It got so bad the stench would drift out and start permeating the store. They couldn't find anyone to stay back there the entire day to ref the tournament at one point, and he just shut them down. I think only a couple of offenders where the worst, but it was pretty bad when the next day my group would go in the back for our weekly D&D game and have to bring stick air freshener, cans of lysol and carpet fresh.
    Of course, when I was there last weekend they were hosting a Battletech tournament.  Not an appreciably better scent, IMO  :)

Mike B.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:44 pm 

SO, rather than dwell on the occasional stench kow...

Try to let me know via email if you're coming to the ACE, so I can plan. Gotta know in advance if I need meeting space for 5 or 50.

Frank

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:39 pm 

You know we'll be there. Meeting Stratochamp and Blackdougal was one of the highlights of last years con. They both brought along some really nice items. Hope to see many more Acaeum members this year.

GenCon is awesome!

Devon
&
Shawn

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:11 am 

I will be there as well. I probably bid against some of the Acauem members without even knowing it.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:56 am 

Blackmoor wrote:I will be there as well. I probably bid against some of the Acauem members without even knowing it.

J

I'll be there, but not bidding, just watching the fun. :)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:27 pm 

hey guys

not posted for a while (well a while to me anyway  :D )

just wanted to let everyone know, that i wont be able to go  :(

am pretty gutted really, but its a practical decision personally and not only that (shame on me), its my dad's 60th birthday at the same time as the con and family are planning a massive surprise party and it just wouldnt be right if i wasnt there.

the ol'man has helped my out in some real tricky situations down the years and i dont feel i would be doing any justice if i wasnt there tbh.

sad really, but there will always be a next time, and i most certainly DO plan to go someday!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 1:28 pm 

Hey Al,
Sorry you can't make it, but you've obviously got your priorities in line.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:08 pm 

Hi Al,

I am very sorry to hear you will be unable to make it.  Was looking forward to meeting you in person.  However, family is always the first priority.  

Martin

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:17 pm 

Prufrock wrote:Hi Al,

I am very sorry to hear you will be unable to make it. Was looking forward to meeting you in person. However, family is always the first priority.

Martin

:) dont worry there will always be another time. i always keep my promises....they just get adjusted from time to time :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:48 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:just wanted to let everyone know, that i wont be able to go :(

am pretty gutted really, but its a practical decision personally and not only that (shame on me), its my dad's 60th birthday at the same time as the con and family are planning a massive surprise party and it just wouldnt be right if i wasnt there.

Eh... just as well you hadn't already booked the flight? :( :(

Presume he wouldn't be too impressed if you brought him back some Tac Cards?

PreviousNext