ACE: Acaeum Collectors' Ensemble at GenCon 2006
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:38 am 

I'm itching about this now!
OK. Flight and hotel will come to about $650. Then there is the event itself. Then there is food, cause I like to eat. Then there is that NEED to buy things. My bank account is going to die from loss of funds.

I think I better not tell my wife about this.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:46 am 

Zippanthropus wrote:I'm itching about this now!
OK. Flight and hotel will come to about $650. Then there is the event itself. Then there is food, cause I like to eat. Then there is that NEED to buy things. My bank account is going to die from loss of funds.

I think I better not tell my wife about this.

Me and my wife go together so with Airfair from Western canada and hotel it cost me over $2000.00 plus the stuff we buy. No regrets though I look forward to being there.

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:00 am 

Prufrock wrote:Hi Guys,

As I live in Indy, I would be willing to help you all out in anyway I can.

Alan, PM me about any questions you have specifically about Indy - hotels, car rental, convention center, so forth. Frank can best answer you questions about GenCon itself.

I do not mind doing any leg work to help any of you make to this year's gamer's party. Just let me know what I can do.

Martin

Martin...

will do a PM later chummer - cheers for that!

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:12 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:whats that all about then?

It kinda goes like this Killjoy...

a)Register for Badge and Hotel room on opening day (Feb 6th I believe).  You  buy the badge (around 50usd) and then register for your hotel from the same web site your buy your badge at.

b)Then the date for events open (maybe april or may - anyone know when this is?).  You buy tickets to all the games/events...do this within the first few days, I've never palyed Cthulhu at GenCon because it sells out the first day. :(

c)Registration closes, usually around June 30th.

Do not, I repeat, DO NOT try to register at the con on opening day, you WILL spend all day in lines.  Pre-register, and being you're in the UK, choose the Will Call option and pick up your badge at the Con, there's no line for that.

Airfare can be tricky, I used to work for Delta, I found most sales and deals start a month or two out, but the summer is peak season for going to Europe from the US, keep an eye out to prices starting around April, May at the latest.

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:16 pm 

Question #1:  How are much are tickets to get in?
Question #2:  Do you have to buy 4 tickets to get in for 4 days or does 1 ticket do the trick?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:17 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Hi Guys,

As I live in Indy, I would be willing to help you all out in anyway I can.

Alan, PM me about any questions you have specifically about Indy - hotels, car rental, convention center, so forth. Frank can best answer you questions about GenCon itself.

I do not mind doing any leg work to help any of you make to this year's gamer's party. Just let me know what I can do.

Martin

Martin...

will do a PM later chummer - cheers for that!

Al

Also Al, and anyone else Randy Porter has a handy "Indy through the eyes of a gamer" type website

http://php.iupui.edu/~wrporter/

I used this referrence many many times.

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:37 pm 

MrFilthyIke wrote:Also Al, and anyone else Randy Porter has a handy "Indy through the eyes of a gamer" type website

ooooh nice one! will have a shifty at that later - excellent!

o'course if i can wangle it to go with brian and stephen, not only will it be an absolute blast all the way, i can just follow them and blame them for everything :D

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:48 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:
MrFilthyIke wrote:Also Al, and anyone else Randy Porter has a handy "Indy through the eyes of a gamer" type website

ooooh nice one! will have a shifty at that later - excellent!

o'course if i can wangle it to go with brian and stephen, not only will it be an absolute blast all the way, i can just follow them and blame them for everything :D

hehe...if you haven't read fear & loathing, you might want to check into that first...don't want to set you up for any awkward "surprises" or anything.   :lol:  :lol:

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:52 pm 

To answer bclarkie's question about passes:  you can purchase and event pass $40 - $50 that gets you into GenCon all four days.  Definately purchase in advance and thru the website mentioned above.

I do not generally go more than one day.  So what I will do is buy a four day pass and then give it one of you after I'm done with it.  Usually I just give to someone on the street who needs it.  I do not play in the touraments, I'll just go for the auction and to meet you guys this year.

WARNING:  for those of you who have not attended Gencon before.  There are a wide variety of people who play role playing games.  These people all have a WIDE variety of personal hygiene habits:  some good some NOT.  Be prepared for this.  I almost passed-out last year when a particularly "goth" sort passed me by and the wake of stench hit me. 8O

Also 30,000 people is alot of people to be in one spot.  Do everything you can (Register, hotel, sign-up for evernts) before you get here.  Again I will be happy to do any leg work any of you need, just let me know.  I wish I had a large house and I could offer to house some of our friends across the pond but I cannot.  Sorry.

martin

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:53 pm 

After looking at Sock Monkey's handy dandy "How much money does I need", I don't think I'll be going. I need a better job. :cry:

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 1:07 pm 

Passes are $65.00 this year, good for all 4 days.

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:29 pm 

Prufrock wrote:WARNING: for those of you who have not attended Gencon before. There are a wide variety of people who play role playing games. These people all have a WIDE variety of personal hygiene habits: some good some NOT. Be prepared for this. I almost passed-out last year when a particularly "goth" sort passed me by and the wake of stench hit me. 8O

I don't know about Indy, but the GenCon SoCal program actually has a lengthy passage in its introduction about things such as showering, using soap, etc. It's pretty embarrasing stuff, but it's also interesting to note that a longtime gamer stereotype is actually real enough to be addressed in official convention materials.

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:46 pm 

(Edit: Non-D&D/GenCon note: GO STEELERS!)

Send your so-called Steelers West young man. Our seven year curse is over and we will crush your bus and all of his little mini-buses.

Bronco's rule.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:55 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:
(Edit: Non-D&D/GenCon note: GO STEELERS!)

Send your so-called Steelers West young man. Our seven year curse is over and we will crush your bus and all of his little mini-buses.

Bronco's rule.

We shall see..........

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:41 pm 

Xaxaxe wrote:
Prufrock wrote:WARNING: for those of you who have not attended Gencon before. There are a wide variety of people who play role playing games. These people all have a WIDE variety of personal hygiene habits: some good some NOT. Be prepared for this. I almost passed-out last year when a particularly "goth" sort passed me by and the wake of stench hit me. 8O

I don't know about Indy, but the GenCon SoCal program actually has a lengthy passage in its introduction about things such as showering, using soap, etc. It's pretty embarrasing stuff, but it's also interesting to note that a longtime gamer stereotype is actually real enough to be addressed in official convention materials.

James Ward (formerly of TSR) has some really funny stories about hygiene and convention-goers.  

His best one was about a hot girl in a white bikini, white boots and white cape...who did not bathe for five days during the convention.  Her "hot girl" stock declined rapidly after day four.   :lol:

We also discussed a "Women of GenCon" website.  There are quite a few reasons to linger around some of the booths.  I found one convention visitor's outfit so offensively revealing that I was forced to follow her for some distance, disapproving all the way.   :lol:

I got Gary Gygax to sign my convention badge...quite a moment for a West Coast gamer.  I had to stand nearby for about 20 minutes as Gary demonstrated his newest RPG to a bunch of young players.....

Right next to EGG was a guy selling chainmail.  He was making chainmail links and his over-the-top-hot girlfriend was standing next to him in a barely-there chainmail outfit.  I could NOT figure out what she had on underneath it.... :twisted:

Anyway, I watched Gary for 20 minutes as this nearly-naked woman stood in the corner of his eyesight, about two feet from him.  He did not glance at her even once!   8O

Gary saw our company name on my badge and said something really nice...but I did not hear it because the convention loudspeaker blared all during whatever he said.  Ah well...it was still THE MOMENT of the convention.   8)

Every gamer must go to GenCon at least once in his life.  It is the Haj of gaming.       :wink:

Other convention highlight:  Watching Billy Dee Williams sign autographs for four hours.  He was about 8' from our booth.  I have never seen a more bored human being in my entire life.  God, was he bored!    :lol:

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:45 pm 

Another thought:

I know of at least one local gamer who went to GenCon every year.  He got into the convention all week by volunteering to staff the booth for Steve Jackson Games.

Vendors get into the convention early and there was a really cool street party for everyone involved in the convention on the night before GenCon opened...sponsored by Microsoft...with lots of collectible giveaways.

That might be an option for someone here.

Mark

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:37 pm 

WARNING: for those of you who have not attended Gencon before. There are a wide variety of people who play role playing games. These people all have a WIDE variety of personal hygiene habits: some good some NOT. Be prepared for this. I almost passed-out last year when a particularly "goth" sort passed me by and the wake of stench hit me. 8O

this is the main reason i'll only play with people i'm friends with BEFORE we find out we both play.  had some bad experiences with other people joining the group.  it's also more relaxing if everyone is friends.  

anyway, i'd love to make it to this thing, not for the gaming, but for the buys.  unfortunatly i don't think i can spare the time away from work.  maybe i'll stick it on my "one day" list...

-dave

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:39 pm 

I'll bet module for module on the Steelers.

PreviousNext