ACE: Acaeum Collectors' Ensemble at GenCon 2006
Author

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:18 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Anybody flying into Philly or Pittsburgh want to share a rental car to Indy?

Well, if I decide to go for sure, my plan is to drive my own car so I will let you know for sure what my plans are in a few weeks :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:22 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
Plaag wrote:Pre-Registration: February 6 - June 23, 2006

ShaneG.

so whats with pre-registration and then registration?

whats that all about then?

:?

The badge is cheaper with pre-registering. No registering after that..

ShaneG.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:25 am 

killjoy32 wrote:
Plaag wrote:Pre-Registration: February 6 - June 23, 2006

ShaneG.

so whats with pre-registration and then registration?

whats that all about then?

:?

Pre-reg lets you purchase your admission and a cheaper rate. It also lets you pick the events/tournies/seminars etc you want to play and buy a ticket for each before they sell out. Although Pre-reg is no guarrantee you'll get every event you pick.*

In the old days, they would mail your entire packet of tickets, badges etc  prior to the convention. Then they got rid of that, and you had to pick them up at the convention.

In a nut's shell, you'll save a few bucks and stand a much better chance at scoring tickets for events that you want. The AD&D open and other types of events usually sold out during pre-reg. Also, events such as Champions and Star Fleet Battles always sold out during pre-reg - and damn fast - due to a shortage of these types of events.

And again, I am going to attempt to make it this year. I first went in 1982 and had a 21 consecutive year streak going...My friends and I use it as an annual reunion as most of us are spread all over the U.S.

For those who have never been, GO. I remember my first GC like it was yesterday. I had been to the small Michicons and Wintercons, but there was nothing like a GC.

*I have not been to GC in a few years. Do they still make you pick alternate events?

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:35 am 

ACE - great idea.

The auction has always been our group's rally point. Back in the day before cell phones we used it as - "if you can't find me, I'll be at auction between x and x or after 9 p.m., etc."

Hey - I used to be one of those guys buying old SPI games! 8O  And I should have kept them, too. 8O  Damn things sell for $100 now!

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:50 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:want to share a rental car to Indy?

Our UK members must remember that we drive on the right side of the road... not the wrong side.   :wink:

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:11 pm 

bclarkie wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:Anybody flying into Philly or Pittsburgh want to share a rental car to Indy?

Well, if I decide to go for sure, my plan is to drive my own car so I will let you know for sure what my plans are in a few weeks :)

Bri

if you do that, could i fly to there and go down there with you? never seen all that part of the US so would be really cool...a D&D roadtrip!! :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 2:14 pm 

ExTSR wrote:
afoolandhis$ wrote:want to share a rental car to Indy?

Our UK members must remember that we drive on the right side of the road... not the wrong side.  :wink:

ummm dont think i will do the driving thing thanks :)

i have two legs and i walk just fine :)

i dont really wanna play in games n stuff, just want to go and enjoy being at something like that really and meet ppl i have now know a fair while.

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:04 pm 

Badmike wrote:KingofPain and I have talked about going for the last year or so. I know he is saving his money in this regard...Hopefully both of us can get together and make it this year.

Mike B.

Since I missed out on the last WizardWorld con due to a shortage of funding, I really must get my shit together so I can have a decent amount of money to throw around.

Those of you that frequent gaming conventions....what would you recommend to a first timer regarding getting a large amount of swag back home in the same condition you bought it in?  Do people normally take two suitcases/bags?  One full of clothes and toiletries and the other empty?  Or would shipping the stuff back home via UPS or FedEx be better?

That is the great thing about comic book conventions...you can buy several thousand dollars worth of stuff and it fits neatly into a small backpack.   I have a feeling that I would have difficulty fitting 4 box sets, 16 books, and whatever toys, dice, miniatures, etc. else that I might find.  :roll:

Hopefully I will be able to go and find some really nice items.  I'm not sure about any gaming though.  Maybe Mike and I can get in on a Trivial Pursuit tournament.  My girlfriend calls me the Undisputed Champion of All Things Useless and apparently Mike has never lost.  :P   Regardless, I will definitely look forward to meeting everyone there.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:50 pm 

KingOfPain wrote:what would you recommend to a first timer regarding getting a large amount of swag back home in the same condition you bought it in?

A spare, empty, large suitcase always helps.
But maybe your solution is Brown.

Right outside the auction room there's a UPS table. You can drop things off and they'll package 'em and mail 'em for you. The ultimate convenience... but then, they do charge for their packing services. We have some boxes at the auction, and if you pack everything yourself you can still drop off the loot at the UPS table, resulting in a straightforward shipping cost.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:01 pm 

You want to plan a way to ship or carry posters.  I ended up wrapping all my posters together, covering them with paper, taping up the whole lot and doing my best to keep them safe on the plane.

Maybe regular attenders do not collect posters, but there were tons of them at 2001, for free, and I grabbed everything I could find.   :twisted:

A fair-sized, empty suitcase would be an excellent idea.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:05 pm 

ExTSR wrote:Right outside the auction room there's a UPS table. You can drop things off and they'll package 'em and mail 'em for you. The ultimate convenience... but then, they do charge for their packing services. We have some boxes at the auction, and if you pack everything yourself you can still drop off the loot at the UPS table, resulting in a straightforward shipping cost.

Last year I ended up with three fairly large boxes totalling around 90 pounds.  Packed, insured and shipped it came to right about $100, which was actually a bit cheaper than I suspected it would be.  The handful of expensive or hard to replace items that I picked up went home with me in a suitcase, just in case something went wrong.  Everything arrived at home just fine, though it was a bit of a tough wait.   :D

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:45 pm 

ExTSR wrote:
KingOfPain wrote:what would you recommend to a first timer regarding getting a large amount of swag back home in the same condition you bought it in?

A spare, empty, large suitcase always helps.
But maybe your solution is Brown.

Right outside the auction room there's a UPS table. You can drop things off and they'll package 'em and mail 'em for you. The ultimate convenience... but then, they do charge for their packing services. We have some boxes at the auction, and if you pack everything yourself you can still drop off the loot at the UPS table, resulting in a straightforward shipping cost.

Sad, sad true story, on my honeymoon to Seattle back in 1998 I ended up using the post office not once but numerous times to mail back boxes of goodies purchased at various game stores.  Shipping by priority mail, they got back before I did, which was cool. I guess my wife pretty much knew what she was getting into at that point...
:oops:
The post office has priority boxes for free, and now they even have the flat rate option box (I believe it is $8.50 with the new postal rates).  I think that covers up to 30 lbs, so that is also a good option besides UPS.

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:16 pm 

bclarkie wrote:

I was thinking of something along the lines of a low-slung '77 Lincoln Towncar...sort of like Fear and Loathing in GenCon... :lol:

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:17 am 

Pittsburgh to Indy in a 77 Lincoln Towncar.....that'll be about $1000 for gas.   :cry:

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:50 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Pittsburgh to Indy in a 77 Lincoln Towncar.....that'll be about $1000 for gas.  :cry:

But it would be worth it cause you would be cool in at least two catagories:  old school, and pimpin!   :D

You would also have to plaster a "I played D&D before it was cool" bumper stickers on the Lincoln.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:58 am 

Hi Guys,

As I live in Indy, I would be willing to help you all out in anyway I can.

Alan, PM me about any questions you have specifically about Indy - hotels, car rental, convention center, so forth.  Frank can best answer you questions about GenCon itself.  

I do not mind doing any leg work to help any of you make to this year's gamer's party.  Just let me know what I can do.

Martin

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:27 am 

MShipley88 wrote:Pittsburgh to Indy in a 77 Lincoln Towncar.....that'll be about $1000 for gas. :cry:

Oh yeah, I guess I overlooked that little detail. On the other hand, from Pittsburgh it's more or less downhill all the way. I guess we could coast there and drive back.

(Edit:  Non-D&D/GenCon note:  GO STEELERS!)

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:05 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:
bclarkie wrote:

I was thinking of something along the lines of a low-slung '77 Lincoln Towncar...sort of like Fear and Loathing in GenCon... :lol:

Hey, who cares about the damn gas costs. I will bring the beer if you bring the ether. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:  I just hope that we dont end up driving through "bat country". :wink:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

PreviousNext