ACE: Acaeum Collectors' Ensemble at GenCon 2006
Author

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:43 pm 

IF you come to GenCon Indy, then come to...

ACE: the Acaeum Collectors' Ensemble

Day & Time to be decided; it's YOUR gathering. Post here. We suggest Friday 11 August 2006 noonish or early afternoon, since the Uniques and level 5 collectibles are sold that evening. Time allotted 1-2 hours.

Details: Gather in the auction room, and get
a tour of the stacks (the stuff coming up to be auctioned, a Security area) with me
an up-close look at all the Rares and Ultrarares
a meet 'n' greet, with snacks & beverages provided on the house.

Latex gloves will be issued for perusal of rare items.
Digital non-flash photography will be permitted.
Additional access will be permitted for perverse tastes (like if you want to examine 3M or SPI games) and side issues (e.g. Judges Guild & other RPG items).

Indianapolis, Indiana, USA
Indiana Convention Center
August 10-13, 2006

General Notices & Reminders

1. This year's Uniques will feature the Original pen 'n' ink Greyhawk booket illustration of Mr. Pumpkinhead Bugbear (est 2' tall), which needs a good home.

2. Other original artworks by Greg Bell et al. from the OD&D Set & Supplements have been located, and 1 or more additional pieces may appear. Watch for posted updates between now and August.

3. Proxy bids will be accepted in advance for items publicized in advance. Don't lose out due to bad phone connections! Email me for details. A credit/debit card will be required.

4. We always need volunteers to work at the Auction. We screen all applicants and reject many. A Specialty is helpful (specify your forte). Auctioneers with personality, stage presence, and fast wits are always in demand. ALL volunteers get free con admission, and may qualify for free rooms for the weekend ($500+ value) after a few years of work.

5. If YOU have items to sell at the world's largest game auction, contact me. We have the audience and we know the material. You CAN send items even if you don't attend; we'll mail you a check. Categories include Roleplaying, CCGs & other Cardgames, Wargames, SF/Fantasy Boardgames, Vintage Boardgames, Painted & Unpainted Miniatures, Artworks, Toys, Videos, and more than 12 hours' worth of Collectibles. We accommodate Reserve Prices and Proxy (absentee) Bids. Buyer fee only $2 for a 4-day bid number; Seller pays auction fee of $1 per item + 15% of sale price. Online item preregistration available, discounted, and recommended.

Frank Mentzer
GenCon Lead Auctioneer 1983-86 + 1993-2006
[email protected]

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:11 pm 

that sounds like an amazing idea Frank. now i really must try and get to this.

sorry to sound like an absolute idiot really, but have never been to a CON before, so a guiding hand would be useful in my plans :)

if i fly from manchester, UK, where do i fly to in the US? and from that airport....how far is it to where this is held?

any additional info on all this would be most helpful and would be great to meet up with the other Acaeum ppl and to meet Frank too :) (hey frank if i bring my gypsy tourney, can i get you to sign it as mentioned in an e-mail a while back....)....

i need a holiday this year, as i didnt have one last time round, so this would be perfect for me. holiday and a whole lot of fun there too :D

someone mailing me on what i need to do to be able to go to this con would be helpful. do i register, how much do you pay etc etc etc...

cheers guys

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 3:14 pm 

oh one more thing. when you win one of the auctions...how can you pay?

is it just cash only, or can you use a credit card (no doubt with a handling fee...)

i pretty much need to know this so i can plan ahead how much my battle fund will amount to :D

i would also be VERY interested in checking out rare JG items - that sounds great and to see other things that i would probably never have in my posession like ever :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:09 pm 

killjoy32 wrote:from manchester, UK, where do i fly to in the US?

Indianapolis International Airport, Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

and from that airport....how far is it to where this is held?

Less than 10 miles. Shuttles run 24/7, est. cost $10 US. Also of note, there are 5 major hotels within a block of the convention, and all offer special convention rates.

if i bring my gypsy tourney, can i get you to sign it

Sure. And unless a pro sports team signs me within the next 8 months, the autograph is free. Part of this is a general Q&A with me, up close & personal, but modesty forbids my mentioning it above...

If you're coming to GenCon for the first time, prepare for an awesome lifetime experience. Nearly 30,000 gamers, thousands of individual games, a huge room full of dealers of games & related things... it's four days of joyous madness. Try to prepare a schedule of events beforehand, to maximize the productivity of your limited time.

For specific details on the convention and surrounding area, go to:
http://www.gencon.com/indyhome.aspx?file=indy

when you win one of the auctions...how can you pay?

Charge/credit card, Cash (US only), personal cheque if cleared in advance with me or my partner Ken Fonarow, money order, large precious gems with individual names, and original artworks dating before 1800. (For the latter two items, add for the cost of professional appraisers and/or museum curators.)

Our cost of plastic is about 4 3/4%, and we pass that charge along to you.

For more information about last year's auction (and for info about this year's, once we update the page), see:
http://www.weekendwarrior.com

F

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:28 pm 

GenCon is an awesome experience.  It is probably less of a big deal to convention regulars, but for me...arriving at GenCon for the first time...it was quite an experience.  

I want to go back again with money to spend.  (I had exactly $40 in the world when I worked our company booth....so I got freebies only.  :cry: )

One thing that interested me....a couple of the guys in our group were not active gamers.  To them, the convention was a place where people spoke an entirely different language...an entirely unknown culture.  It was fun for me to be among thousands of people who spoke my idiom.   The emotional impact of the event was very strong.

Mark   8)

"But I have watched the dragons come, fire-eyed, across the world."

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 7:59 pm 

I have been to Gencon the last two years and I am addicted.  The premier RPG event in the world, ten's of thousands of gamers and dealers from around the world.  If you are a serious gamer do not miss it.

The auction is a blast as well, tons of items.

See you there Frank!

I suggest timing would be best at about 6:00 - 7:00 PM on Friday night, that way everybody playing games (like me :D ) should be done the Friday role playing and get a chance to look at the items just prior to sale.

Just my 2 cents

Jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:31 pm 

I've always wanted to make it to Gencon.  And now, I want to to go even more!
Unfortunately, not gonna happen.   :(

I envy you guys.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 10:31 pm 

KingofPain and I have talked about going for the last year or so.  I know he is saving his money in this regard...Hopefully both of us can get together and make it this year.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 11:11 pm 

Since Heather and I are expecting our second child in August, it's not likely that we'll attend GenCon this year.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 1:17 am 

Frank, the missus and I would love to join the ACE, even if we don't participate in the auction.  It would be a great way to see the auction up close, then maybe participate in '07. :)

There are no bad editions of D&D, just Boring Players and Unimaginative DMs.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:03 am 

A bit of advice if you are from out of town (like me, Western Canada, Brr cold) REGISTER EARLY!!!!, If you do not all the good hotels will be booked up and you will have to either stay at a hideously priced one or be 20-30 blocks away.

When I mean early I mean the first week registration occurs, last year the Westin (right across the street) filled up the first day of registration. This is huge event!!

Also, just take the $10.00 shuttle ride from the airport, no need to rent a car that will sit in the parking lot for 4 days.

We should also arrange a night out for beers and such :) I will be cool to talk to people that actually care about collecting this stuff face to face and not just over the Forums of the Acaeum.

Jeff

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:24 am 

I know the RAM is a good place to hang out, and to game in the back room. As for hotels, as long as you get in one of the 5-6 that have the Skywalk you should be fine..of course the year I didn't meant hauling 'goodies' blocks back to the hotel and one of those days it was raining so I had to carry them around the convention till the weather let up..not fun.

Edit: oh and I will have to check out the auction this year.

ShaneG.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:32 am 

Frank, Count me in as well. Though I live 50 miles away it will be my first. Maybe I can talk the wife into attending as well, if for no other reason than to keep my spending down.

I would like to second the idea of having a get-together for Acaeum members, whether we all just go out to eat or have a drink together.

John

"Everyone is entitled to Al's opinion."

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:50 am 

Plaag wrote:the RAM is a good place to hang out, and to game in the back room.

It seems that the Ram restaurant & brewery has become SO popular that you can hardly get in from Wednesday afternoon through Sunday noon. ::sigh::

hauling 'goodies' blocks back to the hotel and one of those days it was raining so I had to carry them around the convention till the weather let up

I'm sure we can arrange to store ACE attendees' stuff in a secure area for a time. Not overnight, tho.

Edit: We can store stuff every day, from Wednesday thru Sunday, tho we clear out by Sunday mid-afternoon. (No, you can't sleep there, you cheapskate.) Also note that my room is one of the largest in the entire convention, and since I'm a Top Boss there I have very few restrictions. So if you can think of more things I could provide for the ACE gathering, lemme know.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 9:56 am 

so when do the registrations become available? am getting more keen on going as the minutes are passing by :)

specially if others off here are going, it will be a blast to get over there and have a good chat about things!

i most certainly plan on playing a part in the auctions and the ACE thing sounds like a fantastic idea!! i will be certainly wanting to do that, specially after flying 4000 miles or however far it is :D

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 10:29 am 

Pre-Registration: February 6 - June 23, 2006

ShaneG.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:10 am 

Plaag wrote:Pre-Registration: February 6 - June 23, 2006

ShaneG.

so whats with pre-registration and then registration?

whats that all about then?

:?

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 11:15 am 

Anybody flying into Philly or Pittsburgh want to share a rental car to Indy?

Next