Poll:  Rarity of the Rares
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:41 pm 

Many thanks for the updates.  Here's the revised list.

Image  Image

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:10 pm 

Stephen, might I suggest that we remove the 1st print DMG. I think it is actually going to end up a rarity value of 3. :) If you still want to include them though, I personally own 3 of the right now. :wink:

Also, you might want to ping Adam Schultz and Mike<Improvstone> to see what they have, being I havent seen them around for a few weeks now(unless of course they have already gotten in touch with you privately  :wink: ).

Aside, has anyone seen or heard from Mike<I/O> at all in the last several months??? I wouldn't be as concerned but the last time I saw him around here was like 2 or 3 days before Florida got hammered by the hurricane back in October and he hasnt been around since. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:35 pm 

sorry to sound like an utter dork on this...i know the strategic preview are damn rare, but the strategic review? or is it just #7 that has that rarity level? (and why....)

aside: stephen in relation to the ST1's batch, i am gonna contact my friend about all his stuff and see if there is some way i can figure a way of getting some validation for you so everything sounds kosher for the records....

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:15 pm 

bclarkie wrote:Stephen, might I suggest that we remove the 1st print DMG. I think it is actually going to end up a rarity value of 3. :) If you still want to include them though, I personally own 3 of the right now. :wink:

I agree, but how do we know if it's rare or not until we start counting and reach a high #? :)   I only have one (at the moment).

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:29 pm 

I agree.  The True 1st DMG might not be a level-5 rare, but let's get the numbers on it first.

So send them in!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:09 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:I agree. The True 1st DMG might not be a level-5 rare, but let's get the numbers on it first.

So send them in!

Okay. :)

I also didnt realize that we were including all 4's and 5's. Adding to my list with that in mind then, I have a 2nd print Dwarven Glory, 2 of each R1-4, 1 of RPGA 1-4, Dragons 1-5, 2 coverless Jade Hares, 2 Personal Invitation to Adventures, a Wild Things, a Dark & Hidden Ways, a 1st Print PHB, a set of PC sheets from 1984(AC5) and also Strategic Reviews 3,5,6.

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:52 pm 

2 of each R1-4, 1 of RPGA 1-4, Dragons 1-5, 2 coverless Jade Hares, 2 Personal Invitation to Adventure, a Wild Things, a Dark & Hidden Ways... a set of PC sheets from 1984(AC5) and also Strategic Reviews 3,5,6

Lots of these out there. I have similar numbers, and have sold at least a dozen full sets of Strategic Review; I only bother to keep one Ex/NM set with a couple of extras.

'course I run the world's largest game auction (at GenCon Indy), so YMMV.  :wink:

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:00 pm 

I have 5 1st print DMGs. The only item in my collection that I feel is particularly rare is my UK edition Holmes basic book. Maybe that should be considered as well.

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:28 pm 

hi stephen, in addition to the other things i already pmed you, i also have 3 thru 6 of strategic preview , 1-7 strat review (2 sets) an ob3, 4 10th anniv bonus packs, r1-4 (2 sets), rpga 1-4, brown box (3rd pr). oh & you didn`t include the r6 (384th incarnation of bigby`s tomb). anyway nice work stephen, and great idea; it`s very interesting to see what`s out there.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:28 pm 

ifearyeti wrote:The only item in my collection that I feel is particularly rare is my UK edition Holmes basic book. Maybe that should be considered as well.

I have 1 of those too. I agree that it should defintitely warrant a look as at worst a 4 but much more likely a 5.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:29 pm 

ExTSR wrote:...'course I run the world's largest game auction (at GenCon Indy), so YMMV. :wink:

I am seriously considering making the 8 hour trek this year. :) I also almost feel obligated to make the trip to Lake Geneva at some point or another.  It is almost like a D&D gamers obligation to go to the mecca. :wink:

Verbose Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:38 pm 

yes please any and all acaeum members should come to gencon! blackdougal, the burntwire brothers & i had lunch and spent many hours talking about our collections. the burntwire brothers kindly brought some of their great unique artwork to show us, and blackdougal brought some fascinating hebrew d&d modules. there were other acaeum members there, but they unfortunately did not join us. frank runs a fantastic auction and it`s truly not to be missed.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:22 am 

[quote="afoolandhis$"]Many thanks for the updates. Here's the revised list.

Hello, since he doesn't post here any more (more's the pity that), you might want to know that when I bougth Aneoth's collection in March last year, he kept a few items that I myself examined and authenticated (sounds too official, I examined and drooled over them).  KingofPain can back me up also.  Aneoth kept a 1st print Chainmail, an orange B3 (SW); and a Woodgrain boxed set (no idea the print, unfortunately).  

Mike B.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:50 am 

Badmike wrote:Aneoth kept a 1st print Chainmail

One copy. Three owners.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:47 am 

bclarkie wrote:
ExTSR wrote:...'course I run the world's largest game auction (at GenCon Indy), so YMMV. :wink:

I am seriously considering making the 8 hour trek this year. :) I also almost feel obligated to make the trip to Lake Geneva at some point or another. It is almost like a D&D gamers obligation to go to the mecca. :wink:

bri....if i can muster the funds to go, i am going for sure. even if i cant muster the funds, i will prb find a way of going :)

keep us posted on your status with regards to that, cos if we both going, i will fly over to you and travel down. i would prb get lost and end up in mexico or something :)

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 4:59 am 

stephen: further to the above and "broadening" items some, i have:

dark & hidden ways, wild things, R-1 (3), R-2 (3), R-3 (1), R-4 (1), first quest album (2), strategic review #3 (1), PotVQ (yellow sheet with no art...not sure of print cos last i knew we were still discussing it, but as it currently stands, was equal or just behind the black folder - but i mentioned this earlier in the thread).

Al

Are we nearly there yet?

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 8:59 am 

killjoy32 wrote:...PotVQ (yellow sheet with no art...not sure of print cos last i knew we were still discussing it, but as it currently stands, was equal or just behind the black folder - but i mentioned this earlier in the thread).

Al

Al, why dont you pull it out an check to be sure what it is. :P

Oh, and I will defintiely let you know if I am planning on going for sure or not to GC.  I have to figure if I will be able to get the time off and if I can afford  it.  :)

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 14, 2006 9:06 am 

bclarkie wrote:
killjoy32 wrote:...PotVQ (yellow sheet with no art...not sure of print cos last i knew we were still discussing it, but as it currently stands, was equal or just behind the black folder - but i mentioned this earlier in the thread).

Al

Al, why dont you pull it out an check to be sure what it is. :P

er feck off comes to mind  :P

there aint no way thats coming out of the bag again i can assure you.

jess was looking through my stuff last weekend. i was watching her out of the side of my eye (you know how you do when you dont trust someone) and just as she was coming to that i said "er no you dont...dont even breathe on it"

i got an indignant "sooooorrryyyyy" (as all teenagers do) and she stomped off back into the other room with the monster manual. :D

i'm not paranoid honest ;)

Are we nearly there yet?

PreviousNext