Poll:  Rarity of the Rares
Author

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:34 pm 

So in addition to what's been registered in this poll, the following Rares have apparently been accounted for:

Ghost Tower:  3 DM's copies, 1 Staff copy, 2 Designer's copies

Lost Tamo:  1 DM's copy, 4 Staff copies, 1 Designer's copy, 1 Complementary copy.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:37 am 

harami2000 wrote:Many thanks for the in-depth reply, Frank. Apologies for the delayed response: just back again.

ExTSR wrote:
harami2000 wrote:I'd still put in those TSR-UK Hobby Newsletters...

I have some of the D&D PA Newsletters. I guess I should scan & submit some for ID purposes.

:) The PANs are elusive enough as it is. I managed to fluke putting together a complete set of those, but would be a struggle unless they all came up at once.
The TSR-UK Hobby Newsletters pre-dated those. Official publications, even though I suspect they were done off Don Turnbull's own back :)
(Have seen some of his early flyers re. hobby meets at "The Mill" and those have a refreshingly low key tone, so would expect something of that ilk for the period).

Think I know someone that has (some of) these.  Will check and get back.

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:55 am 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Ghost Tower: 3 DM's, 1 Staff, 2 Designer... Lost Tamo: 1 DM's, 4 Staff, 1 Designer, 1 Comp.

What designation is applied to numbered copies sold at the con?

In any event, put me down for 1 DM Tamo, 1 numbered Inverness.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 12:38 pm 

Which # Inverness do you have, Frank?  We're keeping an inventory on those respective pages.

And what do you mean by "designation"?

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:20 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:Which # Inverness do you have, Frank?

I'll letcha know after I see it next trip. If I remember. :/

And what do you mean by "designation"?

You cite 4 types: DM, Staff, Designer, and Complimentary.

A numbered one is apparently 'none of the above'. (Unless one of you wants to give me a numbered one for nothing, making it Complimentary...) How do you designate a standard numbered copy, one of the 300 sold?

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 6:27 pm 

Many thanks to those who've been posting and PMing their Rares lists.  It's been quite informative.  

I'll try to get the information compiled after I get home later this week.  If you're considering sending me a PM, rest assured, anonymity is guaranteed!

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 7:07 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Many thanks to those who've been posting and PMing their Rares lists. It's been quite informative.

I'll try to get the information compiled after I get home later this week. If you're considering sending me a PM, rest assured, anonymity is guaranteed!

I am assuming that you are planning on posting a comprehensive listing with totals though, right? :)

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:02 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I am assuming that you are planning on posting a comprehensive listing with totals though, right? :)

Yep, that's the plan.

By the way, thanks also to those of you who've sent info on items that weren't in the poll, but should have been.  I'll post those counts as well.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:31 pm 

Here are the data so far.  Many, many thanks to everyone who either posted information in this thread, or PM'd me.  Obviously, it wouldn't be possible to put numbers on the Rares if you weren't willing to share your inventories.

This list gives the numbers of Level-5 Rares accounted for so far.  If you see something I've left out, please send that information, and I'll update the list.  Also, please consider forwarding your information if you haven't already done so.  We can update this list anytime, so PM me when you get a chance.  As I've emphasized repeatedly, this is strictly confidential.

Following the lists is a plot of the Acaeum-estimated "NM/Mint" value of these items vs. the number of copies of each accounted for so far.  That part is just for fun.

Thanks to everyone who's helped to get this project started!

-Stephen

Image  Image  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:41 pm 

afoolandhis$ wrote:Here are the data so far. Many, many thanks to everyone who either posted information in this thread, or PM'd me. Obviously, it wouldn't be possible to put numbers on the Rares if you weren't willing to share your inventories.

This list gives the numbers of Level-5 Rares accounted for so far. If you see something I've left out, please send that information, and I'll update the list. Also, please consider forwarding your information if you haven't already done so. We can update this list anytime, so PM me when you get a chance. As I've emphasized repeatedly, this is strictly confidential.

Following the lists is a plot of the Acaeum-estimated "NM/Mint" value of these items vs. the number of copies of each accounted for so far. That part is just for fun.

Thanks to everyone who's helped to get this project started!

-Stephen

[ Image ] [ Image ]

[ Image ]

Pictures not working

*Edit* working now though :?

J

Games can get you through times of no money but money can not get you through times of no games!!

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:56 pm 

Linky no worky.

Long-Winded Collector
Subweb Admin
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:14 pm 

1st page worked, but then it didn't after trying a minute later..

ShaneG.

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:15 pm 

click on the pic and right click show picture, brings em up

25 Ghost and lost, thats a good number, should get there numbers...

put me down for a dragon dice, I still don't think that they shoud be a 5 rare though... a whole box was auctioned off a while back on ebay, although I didn't see them much before or after that

Brette:)

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:25 pm 

beasterbrook wrote:click on the pic and right click show picture, brings em up

25 Ghost and lost, thats a good number, should get there numbers...
Brette:)

Wonder why Tsoj. was so low (6), relative to the other two...I think a lot didn't get reported as it was considered "out of the running".   :?

YIM  

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:59 pm 

Trying again:  here are the data so far.

Image  Image

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:06 pm 

Oh my God! I clicked on the link, and found a revelation! Only I can prevent forest fires! No one else can do it! I am THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!
Good work on the graphs and charts, fool! There are a lot of unreported items, but it does give a litmus test as to relative rarity. You might want to stick Stormber's R4 prepub in there. Probably the rarest item on the list.
Oh, I forgot to report my 2nd woodie.

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:06 pm 

Note:  the Tamo and Ghost Tower numbers were taken from the info on this site.  Some of you were kind enough to let me know what numbers or special copies listed here belong to you.  If you have one that's not listed, let me know and we'll add it to the tally.

Can everyone see the pics now?

-Stephen

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 5:08 pm 

Deadlord36 wrote:You might want to stick Stormber's R4 prepub in there. Probably the rarest item on the list.
Oh, I forgot to report my 2nd woodie.

Thanks for the info.  Keep it coming.

PreviousNext