Poll:  Rarity of the Rares
Author

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:00 pm 

Darn! Please don't reply so quickly when I'm trying delete my message, Brian! :P

"10th Anniversary Collector's Set" vs. "10th Anniversary Collector's Pack" :roll:

=
(And yes, there are many more Sets around the community here than just that one... Hrmm...).

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:06 pm 

*g*. Just realised (again) that after campaigning for the vinyl First Quest to be downgraded from a "5" to a "4" that there has only been one for sale on eBay in ages, to the best of my knowledge.

Is still a "4" anyhow, in my book. Just a long gap between tracks.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:08 pm 

faro wrote:*g*. Just realised (again) that after campaigning for the vinyl First Quest to be downgraded from a "5" to a "4" that there has only been one for sale on eBay in ages, to the best of my knowledge.

Well, considering that there was run of at least 5 or 6 in 3 months time last spring, at the time it seemed to appear almost common. :?

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:33 pm 

Somewhere around that number/period, yes.

Even though that higher number was about the same as woodgrains just now (!), that still feels like it still averages out at "4": and a fair number of copies in second-hand (record) shops in the UK, too, I'm sure!
Not many woodies there...

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:18 pm 

Alright, I am letting the kitty out of the satchel. :P

http://cgi.ebay.com/TSR-The-Strategic-R ... dZViewItem

Being that they also have a seperate listing up for 3 more, who still thinks SR #3 is a rarity 4? :)

<edit> oh yeah and then there is these too:

And Badmike has one up in his store also. :o

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:32 am 

Why the heck are there so many of these available but not of the others?  Did they accidently run 20,000 instead of 2000?  I know it was the first stapled issue but that hardly explains it unless they went to a different printing company and got a volume discount.

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 3:13 am 

dbartman wrote:Why the heck are there so many of these available but not of the others?  Did they accidently run 20,000 instead of 2000?  I know it was the first stapled issue but that hardly explains it unless they went to a different printing company and got a volume discount.

*vbeg*. Is as good a theory as any other I've heard. There are a large number of high-grade remainders of #3, whatever the reason.

No-one responded when I asked back in 2004; viewtopic.php?p=9441&highlight=#9441
My copies came from a hobby-shop remainder stock sold at GenCon, so it could be that TSR blitzed the distributors with that one, judging by the relative scarcity(?).

=
Mailed copies of #3 (and the others) are still very scarce, however; even if the last lot- including #1- sold for a pittance!

Long-Winded Collector

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:08 am 

thought this may be fun to revive again (missed it first time round) with bbarsh rarity coming up and the recent talk of RPGCA possible membership qualification   :)

Rolls a '3'

"Did I hit.....?"

Sage Collector
Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:16 pm 

Domesday #2

Does this count? :)

Sage Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:52 pm 

faro wrote:*g*. Just realised (again) that after campaigning for the vinyl First Quest to be downgraded from a "5" to a "4" that there has only been one for sale on eBay in ages, to the best of my knowledge.

There was on only last week (might still be up, I'm sure)

Is the tape a 5? I think I have only seen it come up once.. (admit that I haven't looked for one, but the only time that it was spoken about here...)

Brette:)

Being healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

PreviousNext