L4 to be published by Dragonsfoot..
Author

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:25 pm 

grodog wrote:That's exactly what it was, and Len had been working on doing that edit with folks on Greyhawk when WotC just published the ms. as-it-was without his edits/improvements.  He was VERY unhappy.  If the Greytalk archives ever get back online again, you can research the info/details there.

He actually submitted a final draft and WOTC lost it.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:20 pm 

Sigh.  Even more ineptitude....

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:27 pm 

Hey all,

As a member of the DF web team, man about town, and Bohemian haberdasher, I can vouch for the continuing work being done on Len's latest projects.  Work is progressing, albeit slowly, on L4.  The L5 project is much less developed at present - I'm actually one of the 'donkeys' employed in working on it - and it is thus a lesser priority.  I'll make a point of poking Solomoriah at some point soon to try and get a more detailed report on where things are at and post it here.  

To answer the most obvious question, as far as I know there is no set release date for L4 other than 'when it's done'.  Y'all gotta keep in mind that Len isn't the techno-geek we are and deals with DF via a number of intermediaries which makes things complicated at times.  Also, none of the DF Publishing staff are being paid to work on this project - It's strictly a volunteer run gig.  We've got some outstandingly dedicated and talented folks working on a lot of projects (speaking for myself, I wear more hats at DF than I can keep track of), but we've all got lives and obligations beyond the site.  As much as I would like to drop everything to work on modules non-stop, I've gotten incredibly used to having food and shelter in my old age . . .

For those of you who are eagerly awaiting the release of Len's next module, all I can say is please be patient.  Better still, why don't some of y'all volunteer to help us get it out . . .

The Egg

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:53 pm 

Egg, how do we sign up to help out?  Sounds like a lot of fun, and I've got some spare time!   :D

Let mirth prevail!

Prolific Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:01 pm 

Thanks Egg for the update. I haven't forgotten about the minis either. I will get in touch soon.
Cheers!

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:41 pm 

Egg of Coot wrote:Hey all,

As a member of the DF web team, man about town, and Bohemian haberdasher, I can vouch for the continuing work being done on Len's latest projects.  Work is progressing, albeit slowly, on L4.  The L5 project is much less developed at present - I'm actually one of the 'donkeys' employed in working on it - and it is thus a lesser priority.  I'll make a point of poking Solomoriah at some point soon to try and get a more detailed report on where things are at and post it here.  

To answer the most obvious question, as far as I know there is no set release date for L4 other than 'when it's done'.  Y'all gotta keep in mind that Len isn't the techno-geek we are and deals with DF via a number of intermediaries which makes things complicated at times.  Also, none of the DF Publishing staff are being paid to work on this project - It's strictly a volunteer run gig.  We've got some outstandingly dedicated and talented folks working on a lot of projects (speaking for myself, I wear more hats at DF than I can keep track of), but we've all got lives and obligations beyond the site.  As much as I would like to drop everything to work on modules non-stop, I've gotten incredibly used to having food and shelter in my old age . . .

For those of you who are eagerly awaiting the release of Len's next module, all I can say is please be patient.  Better still, why don't some of y'all volunteer to help us get it out . . .

The Egg

I'm curious.
I went back to the original link and didn't see anything besides a request for artwork.
What do you need?
Who's eventually publishing this - does DF have their own 'brand' that they regularly publish under?  Is this a special 'first and only time' deal?

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:11 am 

Egg of Coot wrote:....  Better still, why don't some of y'all volunteer to help us get it out . . .

The Egg

Yes, I would love to.  How?

Let's go fly a kite
Up to the highest height!

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:40 pm 

mordrin wrote:Who's eventually publishing this - does DF have their own 'brand' that they regularly publish under?  Is this a special 'first and only time' deal?

DragonsFoot electronically publishes PDF modules and supplements.  They are all free for downloading.

red_bus wrote:
Egg of Coot wrote:.... Better still, why don't some of y'all volunteer to help us get it out . . .

Yes, I would love to. How?

I'm not Egg or Solo, but IMHO you can head over to DragonsFoot, register as a member, and PM Solomoriah to see what help is needed on L4 and L5.

For editing text, the OpenOffice suite (actually called OpenOffice.org) is used.  OOo is a 200MB download at (yes) OpenOffice.org.

For artwork, I only know that DF products have stunning cover artwork and good to great interior artwork.  You won't be paid, but you will get exposure.

[Edit: OpenOffice is only 100MB and not 200.  And fixed a bad typo.]

Last edited by JohnGaunt on Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:58 pm 

JohnGaunt wrote:I'm not Egg or Solo, but IMHO you can head over to DragonsFoot, register as a member, and PM Solomoriah to see what help is needed on L4 and L5.

Will do.  :D

[edit] Have done.  :D

Let's go fly a kite

Sage Collector
JG Valuation Board

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:14 am 

Well I have to say that the people at Dragonsfoot were pretty sharp at getting back to me - thanks!!

'Handy Haversack' there is the person now responsible for this.  Here is his response:

Len has just totally rewritten L4. So it has been pushed back. Andy (Fid) and I are going to be editing it ourselves, as it is just too big to farm out to a team. L5 might prove more amenable, but it, too, is going to be more than 100 pages.

I know the entire AD&D community is pretty excited about this. But since we're not paying Len, we can't really force deadlines on him. And he does need a really tremendous amount of editing to take his very raw material and craft it into something publishable. Thanks for your offer, though. It may be that in a few weeks Fid and I will need more sets of eyes to go over the edited material and catch things we missed.

Sounds like things are moving ahead well.  I will email him back and let him know that if in the future they do need any help, that there are several people here who would be willing to help.  :D

Let's go fly a kite

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:37 pm 

Hello again all,

Sorry for the delay in responding to some of the queries y'all posted here.  My free time as of late has been extremely limited, so I don't get here nearly as often as I'd like.  For those of you who care, I'm currently editing three modules, writing another, working on several product reviews, working on a load of commissioned miniatures for DF members, and moderating several forums.  So, you'll have to pardon my tardiness at times . . .

The method John Gaunt mentioned above is probably the best route by which you can participate in Len's (and other future DF) projects.  As I mentioned before, the web team is pretty busy most of the time and it simply can't afford the time required to approach other sites with hat in hand to solicit volunteers.  It's also a lot harder to just a particular person's skill sets if we don't know them, and we can't just bring people on board without some history being known.  There have been a number of enthusiastic souls who've volunteered to edit stuff who couldn't string a sentence together if their lives depended on it.

The long and the short of it is that we need people to come to us, and show us what they can do.  The DF Publications (That's the label our stuff comes out under) team is a great bunch of people, so those of you who are interested in volunteering would be in good company.

I've got to get in touch with Michael (Handy, the executive publishing tyrant) about some editing business anyway, so I'll make a point of trying to arrange something where he'll pass on any info about L4 and L5 to me and I'll post it here - or at least pass it on to Mars to post for y'all.

The Egg

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 7:22 am 

Here is some of the First Edition inspired artwork i submitted to Dragonsfoot in the hopes that i will be accepted to produce interior art.

These first few images were quite obviously inspired by original D&D artwork.

This scene was entirely created by myself from scratch without using any other artwork for inspiration.However it too is drawn using First Edition style artwork. What do you lot think?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:23 am 

Those area cool Atom! They really seem to capture the feel of the early 1st edition material.

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."
--H.L. Mencken

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:25 am 

NetRodent wrote:Those area cool Atom! They really seem to capture the feel of the early 1st edition material.

Thank you NetRodent for you praise. That was what i was trying to achieve.

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:05 pm 

dcas wrote:He actually submitted a final draft and WOTC lost it.

Did he (Len) keep a copy of the final draft for L3?
Would he consider fleshing said final draft (if he still has it) out into a "proper" L3--maybe as a sequel to WOTC's version--or would that get into copyright questions?

Last general question:  If or when the L4, L5, etc. modules come out (when??), will they be individual modules or part of a series, and would they have the "codes" on the front cover,  like the old 1e/early 2e modules?

Prolific Collector

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:16 am 

July 5th, 2007:

sleepyCO wrote:
Did he (Len) keep a copy of the final draft for L3?
Would he consider fleshing said final draft (if he still has it) out into a "proper" L3--maybe as a sequel to WOTC's version--or would that get into copyright questions?

Last general question:  If or when the L4, L5, etc. modules come out (when??), will they be individual modules or part of a series, . . . . . ?

Two and a half years later.....

Has anyone heard anything on this since 2007, has the project been put on hold, or has it been scrapped entirely?

** Banned **

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:11 am 

sleepyCO wrote:July 5th, 2007:

Has anyone heard anything on this since 2007, has the project been put on hold, or has it been scrapped entirely?

The "Grognardia" blog (www.grognardia.blogspot.com) had an interview with Lakofka a couple months back, in which he stated that he does NOT have a copy of the original L3 manuscript. He said some other things about L4 and L5, but I can't recall what.

Ithaca Dragon
-==(UDIC)==-

Long-Winded Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:28 am 

sleepyCO wrote:July 5th, 2007:

This a cover art piece floating around DF. But who knows how legit it really is or if it was just hopeful thinking. This entire thing reminds of the fiasco that was T2 (which as we all know turned into T1-4). The anticipation was greater than the end result. I could not wait for T2 to arrive (after buying and running T1 on its release). Then an eternity later we get T1-4, which in my not so humble opinion was a piece crap - in no small part due to the enormous lag time between releases.

And I could've bought these damn modules off the 1$ rack!!!

New modules for your Old School game http://pacesettergames.com/

Everything Pacesetter at http://pacesettergames.blog.com/

PreviousNext