Forgotten Realms - promo map & Secret of the Sages
Author

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:29 pm 

I just got a copy of the 1987 1st edition grey box FR campaign set the other day and in it was a 5th map which turned out to be a promo map/poster from TSR announcing the impending release of the FR campaign set ala sometime in 1986/87. That was a nice find, does anyone know anything about this particular FR promo item?

I am also looking for any info on the one and only edition of "Secret of the Sages" published in 1988 for FR. If anyone has a copy, is it worth finding?

Also, if anyone has leads on a copy of SotS please let me know.

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:47 pm 

jpipes wrote:I just got a copy of the 1987 1st edition grey box FR campaign set the other day and in it was a 5th map which turned out to be a promo map/poster from TSR announcing the impending release of the FR campaign set ala sometime in 1986/87. That was a nice find, does anyone know anything about this particular FR promo item?

I am also looking for any info on the one and only edition of "Secret of the Sages" published in 1988 for FR. If anyone has a copy, is it worth finding?

Also, if anyone has leads on a copy of SotS please let me know.

The Forgotten Realms promo map was a freebie available in a certain issue of Dragon magazine, don't remember the number.  They are pretty common if it's the item I'm thinking of, I have a small pile of them  :D
 The Secret of the Sages newsletter is pretty difficult to find. I believe there was a pdf of this one made, don't know where you would go about finding it. There is nothing special about it, it's 8 pages long and just promos the newly released (or about to be released) novels and FR supplements for the Forgotten Realms (up to FR5 The Savage Frontier), with a few tidbits written by Ed Greenwood that are just generic items about the Realms.  There is also a map of the North.  It's an interesting curio, but not essential unless you are a Forgotten Realms completist.

Mike B.

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 3:57 pm 

Badmike wrote: The Secret of the Sages newsletter is pretty difficult to find. I believe there was a pdf of this one made, don't know where you would go about finding it.

It's up on the WotC site at http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=fr/fx20010131c

The actual newsletter comes up on eBay infrequently at best, and goes for wildly-varying prices:  $30-$110, although I think the higher ranges were prior to the .pdf being released.

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

** Banned **

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:57 pm 

That was all the info I was searching for!! Thanks to you both for posting it. I was wondering of WotC has posted a PDF of it or not, I'm glad they did! Also, no matter that the promo map is not anything special, it was cool to find, and it was free!