Forum Update
Author

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:34 am 

Thank you all for your patience during this recent upgrade.  I began work on the forum last Friday, and worked non-stop through the long weekend.  I hate to have the forum offline for any reason, and I did my best to minimize the down time, but unfortunately, restoring the database took approximately ten hours.  In this ten-hour period, I had to upload file fragments every five minutes, by hand.

The forum software has been completely re-built from scratch and updated with innumerable fixes and additions.  Most of these fixes / additions are invisible to you, the end-user, since they're security-related.  However, I've also taken the opportunity (while I had the hood open, so to speak) to add some additional functionality.  I'll let you discover the new features on your own.

Lastly, as this represents a massive undertaking, there's bound to be some conflicts in the code.  Please report any anomalies or problems to my attention.

Thanks, and enjoy the forum.  Hopefully this sort of thing will never have to be done again -- I certainly hope so, as I wouldn't have wished that task on my worst enemy.  :(

Regards,

Foul

P.S.  For those of you hoping this topic had read "Site Update" instead... fear not, it's on the way very shortly now.

Site Admin

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 2:41 am 

I'll make the first bug report:

Some posts (it seems to be the first post of a thread, but it doesn't occur in every thread) appear to have extra line spacing in them.  I noticed this as I was uploading the database, but didn't want to try and edit those extra spaces out.

In any case, this only affect pre-upgrade threads (hopefully), and it's only a minor cosmetic issue.  If it bothers you (if you're the author of a popular thread, for instance), you can always edit your own thread and remove the spaces, if you like.

Foul

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:01 pm 

FoulFoot wrote:I'll make the first bug report:

Some posts (it seems to be the first post of a thread, but it doesn't occur in every thread) appear to have extra line spacing in them. I noticed this as I was uploading the database, but didn't want to try and edit those extra spaces out.

Foul, relatedly, it looks like our pre-existing .sigs have extra line breaks added to them, based on my post @ viewtopic.php?t=3209

Do we need to look at our .sig files and tweak how they're set up or is that a glitch in the forum sw iteself?

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:23 pm 

Gro, I edited my profile and deleted the extra line space.  Everything went back to normal after that.

"Gleemonex makes it feel like it's seventy-two degrees in your head... all... the... time! "

Grandstanding Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:03 pm 

Thanks Paul, I should have looked there first  :roll:  :D

Allan Grohe ([email protected])
Greyhawk, grodog Style

Editor and Project Manager, Black Blade Publishing
https://www.facebook.com/BlackBladePublishing/

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:30 pm 

I think we should get more smiley options. :twisted: :twisted: Kind of like:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

And here is one for you UK folks:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:42 pm 

How about a Grell eating a smiley:

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." -Neitzche

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:06 pm 

bclarkie wrote:I think we should get more smiley options. :twisted: :twisted: Kind of like:

[ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ]
[ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ]
[ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ] [ Image ]

And here is one for you UK folks:
[ Image ]

Hey, I thought I had exclusive use on all non-standard smilies, Brian! :)

Well, maybe things are gonna be a lot more colorful around here soon, then? Image

Verbose Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:16 pm 

harami2000 and bclarkie =  two children in a candy shop :D

Martin

Grandstanding Collector
Acaeum Donor

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:21 pm 

Prufrock wrote:harami2000 and bclarkie = two children in a candy shop :D

Martin

Well it wouldn't be the first time someone said I was 32 going on 14. :lol: I do have a tendancy ot be a bit silly. :wink:

@ David: I have plenty more where those came from. :wink:

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:34 pm 

Prufrock wrote:harami2000 and bclarkie = two children in a candy shop :D

Martin

...or, to put that another way... Image

d. Image

Sage Collector

Post Posted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:36 pm 

bclarkie wrote:@ David: I have plenty more where those came from. :wink:

*yay, again!* Image